JBL's MS-8 processor! - Page 10 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008   #226

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 durwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL's MS-8 processor!

People are still waiting for this?

I think the $1,000,000 question to ask Andy is...

why is he building a carpc processor?
durwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008   #227
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 166 Ge0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by durwood View Post
People are still waiting for this?

I think the $1,000,000 question to ask Andy is...
why is he building a carpc processor?
Don't you have a wedding or something to worry about? Stop badgering people with CarPC propeganda .

Good Luck!!!

Ge0

Alpine, Zapco, Scanspeak, Image Dynamics, Critical Mass
Life lesson #1) En boca cerradas no entra moscas! (loose translation: sometimes it is best to keep your fuggin mouth shut and listen)
Ge0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008   #228

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 durwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enough

LOL. Well I'm in wedding planning neck deep at home. At work I can relax and think about other things...

I thought that was a good question no? He didn't answer me but I still want to know.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...pc-tuning.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/1199224-post7.html
durwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008   #229
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 166 Ge0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by durwood View Post
LOL. Well I'm in wedding planning neck deep at home. At work I can relax and think about other things...

I thought that was a good question no? He didn't answer me but I still want to know.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...pc-tuning.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/1199224-post7.html
Guess Andy is getting sick of waiting too? Either that, or he knows that even though the MS-8 will be a powerful processor, it is fixed function. There still might be more...

Ge0

Alpine, Zapco, Scanspeak, Image Dynamics, Critical Mass
Life lesson #1) En boca cerradas no entra moscas! (loose translation: sometimes it is best to keep your fuggin mouth shut and listen)
Ge0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008   #230
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
RSR Audio
Position:
Analyst

Rep Power: 180 OldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to OldOneEye Send a message via AIM to OldOneEye

Keep in mind Andy competes in sound offs (and probably has a budget to play with stuff that is out there). So he might be trying stuff for the next generation or just so he has something in the car to compete. I'm probably pretty sure he owns the Alpine system that self tunes as well as some of the other integration solutions the MS-8 competes with.

Juan

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
Pioneer DEH-PRS80
JL Audio Stealthbox
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 X 3
Polk Audio SR6500
OldOneEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008   #231
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 its_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the roughits_bacon12 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
Trust me you don't want to read it. Written usually by French Canadians and they don't really care that their english isn't very good
Hey now.. I'm French Canadian and I speak aboot as good as any other American Citizen. That's profiling, eh?

ραηςετα
its_bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2008   #232
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 166 Daishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enough

LOL. It's not profiling in my company Besides, they (my company) rib us on this side of border all the time, so we rib them back. It's all fun and games so don't get your flannel in a bunch (I am currently sitting on flannel so I have nothing against it ).

But hey, you guys get the kick ass Molson Canadian commercials so you win out in the end
Daishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008   #233
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 578 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...another super long thread about MS-8.
I think most of the questions about the product have been answered here, thanks to someone pasting responses from the now almost dead carsound forum. Thanks for that.
I agree that there haven't been many room correction algorithms that work well, but the one in MS-8 is a good one. There's a huge difference between room EQ in a room and room EQ in a car. Correcting response in a room with real speakers really requires two different kinds of measurements--a near field measurement of each speaker and a correction scheme for that and a second set of spatially averaged measurements for correcting room modes. In a car, we can combine this into one, since the seating positions are fixed and since the speakers are very close to the listeners (compared to a room). There's so little delay between direct sound and reflections (the time and magnitude) are so close that we hear them all as speakers. In rooms, it's important to differentiate between the two.
Can a person do a better job of tuning than MS-8? I can and I'm sure there are a few others who can too, but MS-8 has been designed to make everyone's car sound better--people like my mom who love music but don't know anything about audio--and for installers to implement. I can do a better job than MS-8 but in order to do it I need lots of bands of parametric EQ (currently I have 176 biquads available for eq and crossover), time alignment, phase shifting parametric all pass filters, separate gain control of all speakers, Logic 7, a mic array and multiplexing mic preamp, an RTA with 1/24 octave resolution, an analyzer than can measure impulse responses and phase, and a couple of weeks.
MS-8 includes all these capabilities and does about 90% of the job in about 10 minutes.
Regarding the debate between Car PC and MS-8: A car PC can include many if these tools all kludged together (except Logic 7). A car PC is like a basket full of groceries and MS-8 is like a great meal.
Why am I building a car PC?
1. Because i'm a glutton for punishment
2. Because the aux adapter I use from USA-SPEC screws with the CAN bus in the car and prevents the steering wheel track up and down button from working properly
3. Because I'm tired of having an iPod controller screen stuck to the top of my dash
4. Because Gary Biggs is building a new car with a MAC Mini as a head unit, asked me for help in figuring out how to configure it and he got me hooked.
5. This is the biggest reason: Our DSP engineers are constantly working on new algorithms to do this and that (top secret) and we need a way to evaluate and car-optimize them as VST plug-ins before they become embedded solutions for home audio.
Andy Wehmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008   #234
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 207 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Andy,
If it's been asked before like a thousand times, I apologize now.

Us Honda / Acura owners with the possibly Alpine-sourced head units that feed out to the cute digi-pioneer factory amps are looking for solutions for tapping into the four channels of differential balanced outs from the head unit (TSX and Civic Premium or Nav do this)... Some amps (JL, Rockford, etc) simply accept them with differential balanced inputs, so bypassing the factory amp isn't a problem, but not so sure about which processor will work in between.

How about the MS-8 with line-level diff balanced signals for input?

... and NO I won't ask WHEN... When I see the MS-8 hit the shelves, then I'll know.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2008   #235
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 578 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

All inputs of MS-8 are balanced-differential--line level and speaker level.
Old 06-02-2008   #236
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 175 fredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enoughfredridge will become famous soon enough

Andy, where can I buy it and when?
fredridge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008   #237
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 207 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wehmeyer View Post
All inputs of MS-8 are balanced-differential--line level and speaker level.
This is excellent excellent news. Also I'm thinking it just might fit where the OEM amp is located in the center console too. Again, I won't ask "when"... I know your engineers are hard at it forever with this thing. I will let the guys over at 8thcivic know though. Mercman's harness makes getting RCA connections out of the stock head unit a snap... straight into the MS-8, then out to sub amp or full assortment of amps.

Good luck and fear not.. There is still a market for the MS-8 waiting patiently.
If only it had a digi-aux input for a USB hard drive running lossless direct to processor (hint hint).... yeeeehaw!
Old 06-03-2008   #238
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
This is excellent excellent news. Also I'm thinking it just might fit where the OEM amp is located in the center console too. Again, I won't ask "when"... I know your engineers are hard at it forever with this thing. I will let the guys over at 8thcivic know though. Mercman's harness makes getting RCA connections out of the stock head unit a snap... straight into the MS-8, then out to sub amp or full assortment of amps.

Good luck and fear not.. There is still a market for the MS-8 waiting patiently.
If only it had a digi-aux input for a USB hard drive running lossless direct to processor (hint hint).... yeeeehaw!
Once we get this thing done, I'll see if I can get some tech support from engineering for "modders". The Aux input is attenuated and sent directly to an A/D. Seems like a no-brainer to bypass that. I'll check once these guys are finished pulling their hair out.
Old 06-03-2008   #239
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Eh, if the analog input sounds good (depending on the source of course.. some decent quality media player with fair dacs and post-dac stage).. like you've told me before, it's probably splitting hairs between direct digital vs analog in. It will by nice finally to one day see the MS-8 hit the streets.

Now I have to do a little research into the new kappa's.. something different going on with those tweets, huh? (they get little love it seems but I kinda liked the old ones I had for the price in my last install). C608GTi MKII vs 60.9CS vs Perfect 6.1 ??? hmm sorry different topic for different thread. EDIT: Posed the question in a more appropriate thread HERE

Last edited by Babs; 06-03-2008 at 09:52 AM..
Old 06-03-2008   #240
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 TallTexan will become famous soon enoughTallTexan will become famous soon enoughTallTexan will become famous soon enoughTallTexan will become famous soon enoughTallTexan will become famous soon enoughTallTexan will become famous soon enough

Well according to audiojunkies article on the MS-8 this could be ready soon.

Can anyone say "group buy"? Considering there are 24 pages worth in this one thread, I'd say the interest level is fairly high.

I wonder if later down the road, I could find a sucker who will trade the MS-8 for my RF 360.2?
TallTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2008   #241
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

That one was Dec '07... Since then I think the MS-8 had to go through a bit of "back to formula" work with the code/firmware/software/other. I wouldn't trust any expected release date except straight from Andy at this point... crossing fingers and hoping for '08 at all.
Old 06-03-2008   #242
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 153 Abaddon will become famous soon enoughAbaddon will become famous soon enoughAbaddon will become famous soon enoughAbaddon will become famous soon enoughAbaddon will become famous soon enoughAbaddon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallTexan View Post
I wonder if later down the road, I could find a sucker who will trade the MS-8 for my RF 360.2?
that would NEVER happen.. :P

Audiocontrol Matrix -> Custom MiniDSP 4x8 -> PDX 4.100 (Bridged), 2.150 & 1.600
Seas P18RNX & 27TAFNC/G (7" Poly & Neo Aluminum)
10w6v2 with Mr. Marv Custom Enclosure
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008   #243

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Andy, another gain question . On the Carsounds thread you mentioned that the max 2 volt rms input sensitivity of the MS-8 would be adequate for mostly any deck even though they claim to be 4 volts.

What if we have an actually 4 volt source (say for instance a USB DAC that is intended to drive headphones). Would I need to worry about damaging something or will the worse that will happen is that I'll clip the inputs if I happen to max the vol and have a loud track playing. I've heard from an amp designer on here that some inputs could possibly be damaged depending on their design.

It would good to have those extra 2 volts for headroom to use on low volume tracks and not have to worry about blowing something on the MS-8 if I slip on the volume with a loud track.

If this is not an option, can a stepped attenuator or simple pre-attenuation circuit like this be used to match the output to the input (installed as close as possible to the MS-8).
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008   #244
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Nothing will be damaged and the clipping may be inaudible anyway--especially if it happens only on transients. If you play Bass MEchanik at 4V, it'll be nasty, but turning down the volume a bit will also work. Another option is to set the max output of the source with its volume control and use MS-8's.
Old 06-30-2008   #245

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wehmeyer View Post
Nothing will be damaged and the clipping may be inaudible anyway--especially if it happens only on transients. If you play Bass MEchanik at 4V, it'll be nasty, but turning down the volume a bit will also work. Another option is to set the max output of the source with its volume control and use MS-8's.
Perfect, thanks.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008   #246
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 00poop6x will become famous soon enough00poop6x will become famous soon enough00poop6x will become famous soon enough00poop6x will become famous soon enough00poop6x will become famous soon enough00poop6x will become famous soon enough

Why all this talk and no product?

00poop6x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008   #247
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Focused will become famous soon enoughFocused will become famous soon enoughFocused will become famous soon enoughFocused will become famous soon enoughFocused will become famous soon enoughFocused will become famous soon enough

Any ETA on this?
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008   #248
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 CobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enough

any arrival time guess?, a week, month, next year? i bought a new car and im thinking about using the bose head unit instead of my DRZ but only if i could use the ms8 with it, but i need to know aproximately how long til it comes out

ill even volunteer for beta testing

SOLD*05 Corvette:Clarion DRZ9255+DCZ625 changer, Scan 6000 tweets,Scan 7" Rev midbass, Scan 4" Rev mids, L-R rear fill, Aura Subs, Zapco c2k's, Zap DC 350.2, Blau VA4100*2010 TUNDRA Dblcab next
CobraVin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008   #249
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 155 Sassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enough

no eta on this thing... I have a feeling that it's going to be a huge dissappointment by the time it's released.
Sassmastersq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008   #250
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 166 Daishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassmastersq View Post
no eta on this thing... I have a feeling that it's going to be a huge dissappointment by the time it's released.
how do you figure that?
Daishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement