JBL's MS-8 processor! - Page 11 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008   #251
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 Sassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL's MS-8 processor!

anytime a product is delayed this long the hype overtakes the actual product and people end up with it in their hands saying "I waited 4 years for THIS??"
Sassmastersq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008   #252
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 169 Daishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enough

Have you actually looked at the feature list? If it does 3/4 of what it is said to do it'll be on par with any other external DSP available. I fail to see your logic.
Daishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008   #253
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 Sassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enough

I agree, it'll be a good product, but by the time it's out you could have had an H701 for 3 years and be done with tuning. why wait for this holy grail of technology when you could have something now, and upgrade later if it's actually worth it.

I don't care when it's coming out, if it's worth it at the time it releases, and it proves to be reliable and a good value, then I might go for it, but I'm not going to sit around wondering when I can enjoy today.

ever hear of the IDone? it'll be amazing too... if it ever gets released

Old 07-06-2008   #254

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 265 DS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond reputeDS-21 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassmastersq View Post
no eta on this thing... I have a feeling that it's going to be a huge dissappointment by the time it's released.
I doubt it. I'm actually highly impressed that Harman is taking this long (including, as I understand it, a complete code rewrite) to do it, instead of releasing an alpha-level product into the wild. I expect that I'll be buying one of these. Not for the daily driver, as it's probably better served by the simpler Alpine Audyssey MultEQ XT processor. But for the DS, it seems perfect.

Think of it another way: if it's taking Harman, which is to audio brain power what the US Department of Defense is to global military spending, this long to get this kind of processor right, there's a reason nobody else is taking on this kind of project.
DS-21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008   #255
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 279 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Exactly.

And having heard a prototype unit...it will be worth it. I have a feeling that I will also be sporting one of these processors when it is all said and done.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008   #256
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 174 backwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enough

I've cleaned out most of my car procs for this thing. Obviously the sooner the better, but it's definitly worth the wait...(as long as it is eventually released...)

"We tried so hard to create a society that was equal, where there'd be nothing to envy your neighbor..But there's always something to envy... Something you don't have and want to appropriate. In this world-even a Soviet one-
there will always be rich and poor..."
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008   #257
DIYMA 500 Club

it'll really suck for everyone who's waiting if it gets to the point where harman says "meh, not worth it, lets cut our losses and forget it"

I have no faith in companies who are bringing out a great product with cutting edge technology. too many have bailed, or just delayed the product until nobody cares anymore.
Old 07-07-2008   #258
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 279 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Considering the orignal purpose of the processor is for factory integration...I doubt it would be canned. We are the niche market for this thing.
Old 07-07-2008   #259
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 227 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

if it does everything (inc 4/5 way), and i can run my 880 thru it, and get one used for $300, ill take it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_inox View Post
bad contacts- main source of miracles in electricity.
60ndown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008   #260
dkh
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 143 dkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enough

The release date is stretching further and further forward...

I think that this should be released soon so that the 'other' manufactures are made to pull their fingers out of where the sun don't shine and offer real alternatives rather than marketing gimmicks!

Make it happen...

Team Hybrids UK
dkh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008   #261
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 227 60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute60ndown has a reputation beyond repute

how hard is it for a major electronics company to build a GREAT stand alone processor nowdays?

cant be that hard?

they seem to be able to put swimming dolphins into a dash, why not a GREAT processor?

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008   #262
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

i say we all chip in and build it ourselves, we decide on features etc, then we all chip in oir $$ and get some company smewhere to build it for us.

how many car audio enthusiasts would buy it GLOBALLY?

im guessing 50, 000 units would sell @ $300 each

= $15,000000.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008   #263
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 174 Whitebread will become famous soon enoughWhitebread will become famous soon enoughWhitebread will become famous soon enoughWhitebread will become famous soon enoughWhitebread will become famous soon enoughWhitebread will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Whitebread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
i say we all chip in and build it ourselves, we decide on features etc, then we all chip in oir $$ and get some company smewhere to build it for us.

how many car audio enthusiasts would buy it GLOBALLY?

im guessing 50, 000 units would sell @ $300 each

= $15,000000.
I doubt there would be 50,000 people that would buy a 300 dollar product with no BS marketing and no bling. The people with the technical understanding and audiophile tastes number in the very few. Everyone else wants easy use, simple features and lots of bass.

Koda 8s
CSS WR125Ss
Whitebread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008   #264
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread View Post
I doubt there would be 50,000 people that would buy a 300 dollar product with no BS marketing and no bling. The people with the technical understanding and audiophile tastes number in the very few. Everyone else wants easy use, simple features and lots of bass.
i stand by my guesstimate, theres a lot of car audio fans out here, many of the spl guys are moving towards sq...L we ALL have the same issue.

TUNING.

if it was a great product (zero added noise and worked well), id bet 75% of people who have car audio as a 'hobby'

wold buy it within 18 months

das a lot of peeps.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008   #265
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Who would you get to write the code? And how would you pay for the software part of the processor?
Old 07-08-2008   #266
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
Who would you get to write the code? And how would you pay for the software part of the processor?
id ask the thoughts and help of all the smart car audio guys, like yourself, and many others, once we agreed on the basics (4 way, ta, parametric etc etc) we could allocate different components of getting the thing designed/built to those that knew those areas best.

prolly involve some legal paperwork OR test trust and friendship?

anyone that wants to be involved to donate as much $$ as they can.

if we can put the design/ideas/concept together for $7000, and contact some 'electronics' build house for a bid on a run of 3000 units?

people involved in the design get paid typical design rates for their work ($75 an hour)?

everyone else gets a % of PROFIT according to how much $$ they invested.

no-one gets a free unit.

naive maybe, but i believe if 3 or 5 good guys decided to try this, and were backed financially by 140 others, and the product was GREAT,

maybe..just maybe alpine jbl, pioneer and audio control may have a new competitior? i suggest (diymapwnsjou as the company name )

no reason the first run couldnt be available for christmas, no doubt any bs/greed/ego and the project would fail.

worst case senario? we sell em on e bay @ $130 each for a total loss of $0.

Quote:

Last edited by 60ndown; 07-08-2008 at 02:52 PM..
Old 07-08-2008   #267
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 capnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enough

This thread isn't evidence enough that it ain't that easy to design something that complex?

Quote:
no reason the first run couldnt be available for christmas
wat

Quote:
worst case senario? we sell em on e bay @ $130 each for a total loss of $0.
You're not a businessman, are you?

Sorry to be so negative. I just don't comprehend where you are pulling these #'s from. I really like where you're coming from, but I don't think you're being realistic, to say the least.
capnxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008   #268
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnxtreme View Post
This thread isn't evidence enough that it ain't that easy to design something that complex?

wat

You're not a businessman, are you?

Sorry to be so negative. I just don't comprehend where you are pulling these ideas from.
my optomistic ass

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008   #269
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 156 capnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enoughcapnxtreme will become famous soon enough

OK. It is a sweet idea.

I just doubt that 3 guys in a garage could do it, if Harman can't.

And I think the worst case scenario would be wasting a LOT more money that that, a ton of valuable people's time, and having nothing to show for it whatsoever.
Old 07-08-2008   #270
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnxtreme View Post
OK. It is a sweet idea.

I just doubt that 3 guys in a garage could do it, if Harman can't.

And I think the worst case scenario would be wasting a LOT more money that that, a ton of valuable people's time, and having nothing to show for it whatsoever.
some of the detail some people go into here about various things, leaves me to believe the knowledge is right here, k.i.s.s. just a quality processor.

if we stay away from anything STUPID AND UNESSESARY ....7.1 anyone?

actually i bet if we gave whiterabbit $5000 and 2 weeks off his regular job he could do most of it on his own

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008   #271
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

keeping the tech talk to a minimum, what does the jbl unit do that this doesnt

http://www.zapco.com/prod/DC_Ref/DSP_DRC_Frame.htm

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008   #272
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 361 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

factory integration and auto-tuning to name a few and keep it simple
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008   #273
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngotskills View Post
factory integration and auto-tuning to name a few and keep it simple
so if we add a l.o.c and our ears all thing are equal?

Quote:
Old 07-08-2008   #274
DIYMA 500 Club

Um, no?
Old 07-08-2008   #275
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 361 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60ndown View Post
so if we add a l.o.c and our ears all thing are equal?
Well not exactly....if you can flatten all factory EQ in all types of vehicles that is used to compensate for the OEM system acoustics and driver locations to make a flat signal to start out with. Then have the know how and ears to tune then i guess you can say yes.

I would say its not the absolute best thing in the world, but it does make it convenient for the mass market and those who are not willing to go all out in DSP with multiple highend processors. Also it does 5.1 if that floats your boat. Its not for everyone, but i think it would be useful for the majority compared to what is commercially available now especially how newer cars have their HUs integrated into other factory components
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement