JBL's MS-8 processor! - Page 13 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008   #301
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 158 Sassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enoughSassmastersq will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL's MS-8 processor!

This thing is like america's hopes for a decent president... maybe 08, more like 2012

Last edited by Sassmastersq; 09-05-2008 at 05:08 AM..
Sassmastersq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008   #302
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 kkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wehmeyer View Post
I'm expecting an update by the end of next week with some real dates. I'll update as soon as I know.

I'm really sorry about these delays and we really appreciate your patience...OK...off to kick the beehive.
Cool, thanks in advance for the update Andy.

"Music is Art. Audio is Engineering."
May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage.
kkant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008   #303
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 211 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'm expecting an update by the end of next week with some real dates. I'll update as soon as I know.

I'm really sorry about these delays and we really appreciate your patience...OK...off to kick the beehive.
.. I'm just pleased the project wasn't scrubbed. Thanks Andy.. Honestly I'd like to see also some more threads about your (H group) other products in here as well. You mentioned balanced capable inputs on JBL and Infinity amps for example. 08 Si Sedan here with diff-balanced.. I'm the guy over at ECA that mentioned it.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008   #304
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 580 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
.. I'm just pleased the project wasn't scrubbed. Thanks Andy.. Honestly I'd like to see also some more threads about your (H group) other products in here as well. You mentioned balanced capable inputs on JBL and Infinity amps for example. 08 Si Sedan here with diff-balanced.. I'm the guy over at ECA that mentioned it.
All JBL and Infinity amps include differential inputs!

I'll have some news about some additional new products in a month or two...stay tuned...but I'm not going to make another mistake like MS-8. We let the cat out o the bag too early and underestimated the project.
Andy Wehmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008   #305
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 211 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Very Good news! Don't know how similar the two branded car-amps are, reading here and there that they're the same just in different clothing, etc.. I won't speculate though I'd bet they at the very least share design. I'll searchy as it's outside the scope of the thread here though. Thanks Andy.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008   #306
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 monkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the update Andy.
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008   #307
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 580 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

They're both Class AB full range amps and ClassD subwoofer amps all with analog filtering. At some level, one could say that all class AB amps are the same, but that wouldn't be accurate. They're similar, but not the same.
Old 09-05-2008   #308
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Approved Vendor

12V Company:
Sundownz
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 237 sundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond reputesundownz has a reputation beyond repute

I want one of these whenever they are completed

- Jacob Fuller
- Owner, Sundown Audio
- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK
- I DO NOT USE PMs -- Email me at [email protected]
sundownz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008   #309
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 161 kskywr will become famous soon enoughkskywr will become famous soon enoughkskywr will become famous soon enoughkskywr will become famous soon enoughkskywr will become famous soon enoughkskywr will become famous soon enough

Any updates on this?

Zap SLB-R4 + TP4, DCX-730, Seas w18nx, SS 7100, PDX-4.150, PDX-1.600, Peerless XXLS 12
kskywr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008   #310
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 kkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enough

Yeah.

"Music is Art. Audio is Engineering."
May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage.
kkant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008   #311
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Sorry guys and gals. I've been lazy in posting updates here (and on Carsound). Someone over there asked if it was dead.

It's not dead. It's on life support. We're working on it, but DSP resources are limited. We're actively trying to hire more because there are other DSP projects that are lagging too. Sorry for the delay, but it's gonna be great when it's finally available.

Believe me, I want one as badly or worse than the rest of you because EVERYONE in my building wants one and my fiancee' does too.
Old 10-27-2008   #312

Banned

Rep Power: 0 tspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, me too. Where's mine?
tspence73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2008   #313
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 137 WolfSong will become famous soon enoughWolfSong will become famous soon enoughWolfSong will become famous soon enoughWolfSong will become famous soon enoughWolfSong will become famous soon enoughWolfSong will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Sorry guys and gals. I've been lazy in posting updates here (and on Carsound). Someone over there asked if it was dead.

It's not dead. It's on life support. We're working on it, but DSP resources are limited. We're actively trying to hire more because there are other DSP projects that are lagging too. Sorry for the delay, but it's gonna be great when it's finally available.

Believe me, I want one as badly or worse than the rest of you because EVERYONE in my building wants one and my fiancee' does too.
I wish I had some decent DSP experience I could offer.
Keep us posted Andy. I'd love to Beta test one of these too.
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008   #314
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 Grim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enough

If this thing delivers as advertised and is available some day, I am totally building a system around it in my Grand National. Which leads to a question about center channels...

Is it practical/worthwhile to have the left and right fronts running, say...100W and be able to get good results from a center chan. running off of the 20W coming out of the MS-8? I'm really curious about this as the need (or lack thereof) for another amplifier channel to run the center is something of a break-point as to my amp setup. The idea of a balanced soundstage for both driver and passenger is appealing to me.

I've also been kicking around another (maybe bad) idea about doing something similar with midbass. What about using a low powered mid-bass in a "reinforcing" role? Like, rather than have a distinct cut between the midbass and midrange, tune the midrange and sub closer together using the low-powered midbass to sort of help smooth the transition by adding some extra db in the 80 - 200 range, but blended with the midrange more than one would typically do in a 4-way active setup. This would also mean less "violent bass air" bouncing about in my 21 year-old doors. Like, maybe something that would perform decently well with say, 20w in a very small sealed enclosure. Maybe a fiberglass replica of the factory speaker pods mounted on the doors... Anything that potentially lets me get away with more deadening is of much interest to me, as the car is also meant to be very fast; in other words, I don't want to add any more weight than I have to.

I really am looking forward to the potential of this product and am kicking around a lot of ideas trying to come up with the sound I want, given the compromises I need to make. (namely weight)

Thanks for all the info in here and in advance for anything more.

Oh, and BUMP!
Grim0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2008   #315
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

I don't recommend either of your ideas.

first, in any system that uses some active center channel processing, whether it's discreet or a matrix or any other extraction method, the center channel becomes the primary front speaker. Most of the music in popular recordings is placed in the center and it needs to be able to play as loudly as the rest of the front speakers and hopefully with the same or similar frequency response.

Midbass speakers tend to be less efficient than midrange and tweeters and always need more power. Plus, if you look at the frequency distribution in most popular music, you'll find far less high frequency info than low frequency info. The midbass frequencies are pretty critical and that would be a nasty place to run out of power.

My suggestion? Use plenty of power on the fronts and use the on-board power for the sides and rear.

20 watts and a small sealed enclosure dn't go together for midbass. You'd be better off installing a seriously efficient instrument speaker and crossing it over with a steep slope at 70 or 80Hz. If you have 5" or 6" speakers in the front, don't bother with a separate midbass.
Old 11-24-2008   #316
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 136 donkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enough

Andy, work the magic and get this thing out!

PS- But don't rush it and do what Pioneer did with the Avic F series, and kick out a gliched product just to get it to market.

PPS- Thanks for all your hard work, and keeping us posted!
donkeypunch22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008   #317
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 264 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

I'm not quite understanding what the hold up is. Other than speaker level inputs it doesn't do anything the 730 or 701 don't do. The DSP programming shouldn't be a big deal. Or am I missing something?

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008   #318

Banned

Rep Power: 0 tspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enoughtspence73 will become famous soon enough

From what I've read there is a working prototype as far back as mid-late 2007. So, is this a factory re-tooling issue to support mass production?
tspence73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008   #319

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 252 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I'm not quite understanding what the hold up is. Other than speaker level inputs it doesn't do anything the 730 or 701 don't do. The DSP programming shouldn't be a big deal. Or am I missing something?
http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csfor...ad.php?t=65668

Seems to be a lot more there then just speaker level inputs.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008   #320
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post

Right. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2008   #321
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 Grim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspence73 View Post
From what I've read there is a working prototype as far back as mid-late 2007. So, is this a factory re-tooling issue to support mass production?
On a device with the capabilities they are cramming into this thing, you either need a lot of time or a lot of programmers and engineers if you want to quickly move from prototype to production. It sounds like they don't have the programmers. Sure, they had it working a year ago, but I bet there were a lot of bugs that a polished release product should not have. While I suppose it would be possible to patch the firmware or whatever, I don't think it is something that anyone wants to have to do.

Andy,
First, thanks for addressing my questions. And quickly at that. Good to know you're still with us. I defiantly understand what you're saying about the center. I really am having a hard time figuring out to to get something like 5.25" components that can handle 100+ watts into the center of a Grand National though. The passenger may just be fucked. As to the midbass idea, I think you're right, I should be ok. I'll worry about potentially adding midbass after I get Front, Rear/Side and Sub handled.

Speaking of Side/Rear, I'm going infinite baffle on the sub(s) (haven't decided on one or two 15"s yet). So, the rear deck is out, leaving the area alongside the rear passenger area as the best/easiest option. I think I remember you saying having one or the other wasn't bad, but I don't recall how it should be set up. If the speakers are in the Side AND the Rear, what output should I be using for them on the MS-8? Side or Rear? (Please see the second pic I've included. It shows the area I am talking about pretty well.)

I hope this this is ready by March. Should have the transmission fixed up, the methanol tank filled up and the sounds cranked up right around then.

A last thought; on the bright side, not having a center or true Side/Rear setup saves me some precious weight. Unless someone can come up with an idea of where to put a center (5.25", 100W) in here:

Maybe UNDER the radio/environmental controls, in that little storage-ish area? I'll have to take some measurements later. Would put is on a closer level to the rest of the front speakers... Was hoping to use it to help raise up the sound stage a bit, but you know what they say about beggars and choosers...

Last edited by Grim0013; 11-24-2008 at 05:48 PM..
Grim0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008   #322
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 264 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post

Quote:
Right. Thanks.
I've already read what it does, but I'm not seeing what the problem is. It just doesn't seem like there's enough there for it to have taken this long. I'm not trying to get all pissy but it's been over a year since the thread was started and I know development had already been started. Figuring a 40-hour work week (yeah, right) and only one person working on it (yeah, right) and no vacation time taken (yeah, right) we're at 2080 hours in just one year. That's LOT of time to be working on something that only "needs programming worked out".

Maybe it's time to reevaluate the need for somethings like powered outputs and the iPod input at all. Almost every car on the road has an iPod integration method from the factory or a third party company already, the powered outputs are too low powered to keep up with an aftermarket setup and I can't see anyone integrating this into an otherwise OEM setup. Other than the 7.1 (which is a COMPLETE waste of time in a car) everything else is already being implemented to a certain degree in other products.

I understand wanting it to be perfect out of the gate (avoiding the Pioneer F-series fiasco) but programming is programming is programming, right?

Old 11-24-2008   #323

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 252 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I've already read what it does, but I'm not seeing what the problem is. It just doesn't seem like there's enough there for it to have taken this long. I'm not trying to get all pissy but it's been over a year since the thread was started and I know development had already been started. Figuring a 40-hour work week (yeah, right) and only one person working on it (yeah, right) and no vacation time taken (yeah, right) we're at 2080 hours in just one year. That's LOT of time to be working on something that only "needs programming worked out".

Maybe it's time to reevaluate the need for somethings like powered outputs and the iPod input at all. Almost every car on the road has an iPod integration method from the factory or a third party company already, the powered outputs are too low powered to keep up with an aftermarket setup and I can't see anyone integrating this into an otherwise OEM setup. Other than the 7.1 (which is a COMPLETE waste of time in a car) everything else is already being implemented to a certain degree in other products.

I understand wanting it to be perfect out of the gate (avoiding the Pioneer F-series fiasco) but programming is programming is programming, right?
5.1*

I'd love to have that feature.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008   #324
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

There are a number of 5.1 processors available. Even the 701 does 5.1.

Old 11-25-2008   #325
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Quality Sound,
Believe me, if there was anything in MS-8 that we could use or buy to get this thing out sooner, we would and would have already. Everything is proprietary and for good reason. There isn't a single thing in here that's been done before by another company except for maybe volume, fader and balance.

Why does it take Mercedes several years to reengineer a car when Kia has already made one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement