JBL's MS-8 processor! - Page 14 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008   #326

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Default Re: JBL's MS-8 processor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
There are a number of 5.1 processors available. Even the 701 does 5.1.
All of which are not surround formats design for a car environment.

What happens with the H701 when you select "small" for you center channel in Dolby Pro logic II and don't have a speaker that plays low enough to mate with your sub? You either send midrange to your sub or you are forced to cross that range out completely and loose it since there is no L/R steering from a higher crossed center.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008   #327
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 578 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Maybe it's time to reevaluate the need for somethings like powered outputs and the iPod input at all. Almost every car on the road has an iPod integration method from the factory or a third party company already, the powered outputs are too low powered to keep up with an aftermarket setup and I can't see anyone integrating this into an otherwise OEM setup. Other than the 7.1 (which is a COMPLETE waste of time in a car) everything else is already being implemented to a certain degree in other products.
iPod control is gone, BTW.

Also, stating your opinion in the most brazen and confrontational way possible doesn't turn opinion borne of inexperience into fact. I can assure you that the onboard power is sufficient for MANY people (me included) and 7.1, done correctly, is of great benefit in cars. I'll be happy to prove it by giving you a demo any time my car happens to be anywhere convenient for you to have a listen.
Andy Wehmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008   #328
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 207 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

He referring to the internal amp channels? sheesh.. There's like 8 channels though.. It would be one thing if it were only four channels, but I can definitely see the advantage of 8 properly timed and tuned channels, even if they're not 100w at 4ohms. simple.. one box does it all deal.. install would be super easy.. Add maybe a larger amp for sub duty, but I think it would be a killer startup sq tool.. Then if one must add gobs of power, it'll do that too. As we can see with the Imprint criticisms, I can see why the ms-8 is still in the works though... in-car auto-dsp must be a very tough thing to accomplish well.

Still waiting, though the car has changed.. The ms-8 could be a quick swap out for the oem amp in my 08 Si sedan.. though I'd certainly upgrade the power/ground line. Send those four balanced oem lines to the ms-8, with some good door-deadening and active drivers.. yeeeeehaw. Then run a direct rca aux source (ipodish player of some flavor) as well.. would probably yeild as good or better results from oem head unit maybe.

I'm glad at least it sounds like the ms-8 project hasn't been sh#$canned.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008   #329
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 261 quality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nicequality_sound is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wehmeyer View Post
iPod control is gone, BTW.

Also, stating your opinion in the most brazen and confrontational way possible doesn't turn opinion borne of inexperience into fact. I can assure you that the onboard power is sufficient for MANY people (me included) and 7.1, done correctly, is of great benefit in cars. I'll be happy to prove it by giving you a demo any time my car happens to be anywhere convenient for you to have a listen.
I'm not trying to be brazen, it just comes across that way. I guess it's my typing style.

I question the need for 7.1 because very little is recorded that way and it's hard enough to implement 5.1 in a car because of the need to fab a center channel in most cars. Now on top of that you have to find locations for the side surrounds. I would love to hear it in a car but I'm on the west coast until May and then Gernamy for the next 4-8 years.

quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008   #330
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 St. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enough

For 5.1, and selecting "small" on center, you can implement a Bass Management system that redirects the audio below the center's cut-off back to the Left and Right, so that one doesn't lose it entirely.
Similarly, if you turn the center off entirely, you don't lose everything- it goes to the corners. But you retain the front to rear separation.
St. Dark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008   #331
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 578 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

In a car that bass management is tricky, unless the left and right are time aligned. The bass from the center that's sent to the left and right will only reappear in the center of the image if the speakers are equidistant or time aligned. That's the facts and there ain't no 2 ways about it. You won't lose the signal, but the placement of the sound will suffer. That's why it's really important to install a good center. A pair of tweeters in the rear view mirror or stuck to the top of the dashboard are NOT a center channel.
Old 11-26-2008   #332
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 St. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enough

Quote:
A pair of tweeters in the rear view mirror or stuck to the top of the dashboard are NOT a center channel.

Damnit, Andy! Now I have to replace that Eclipse powered center tweeter kit on my rearview!
St. Dark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008   #333
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 donkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enough

Andy, please tell me this is being released and not a dead project.
donkeypunch22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2008   #334
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

NO, it's definitely not dead. Was in a coma and on life support, but has come back to life.
Old 11-27-2008   #335

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Andy, does the unity gain of the MS-8 mean that you only get out what you put in or can it also line drive a sub 2 volt input signal.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008   #336
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
RSR Audio
Position:
Analyst

Rep Power: 180 OldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to OldOneEye Send a message via AIM to OldOneEye

Quote:
NO, it's definitely not dead. Was in a coma and on life support, but has come back to life.
We talking Gary Busse type of coma, where its never the same again, or we talking more along the lines of rock star OD, where they pick up where they left off after they wake up?

I'm looking forward to this bad boy, remember sitting at a hotel room at CES (well, two hotel rooms unfortunately now I believe) and having Jim and Kelly show us the thing. I was like "I would pay money for one of those as soon as it came out" just because I don't really have the ear to do what it does.

Juan

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
Pioneer DEH-PRS80
JL Audio Stealthbox
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 X 3
Polk Audio SR6500
OldOneEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008   #337
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Dude, It's like Lazarus.
Old 11-28-2008   #338
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 CobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enough

you can put me on the list of beta testers i cant wait to try it out

SOLD*05 Corvette:Clarion DRZ9255+DCZ625 changer, Scan 6000 tweets,Scan 7" Rev midbass, Scan 4" Rev mids, L-R rear fill, Aura Subs, Zapco c2k's, Zap DC 350.2, Blau VA4100*2010 TUNDRA Dblcab next
CobraVin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008   #339
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 135 WolfSong will become famous soon enoughWolfSong will become famous soon enoughWolfSong will become famous soon enoughWolfSong will become famous soon enoughWolfSong will become famous soon enoughWolfSong will become famous soon enough

Hey Andy... glad to finally see some updates on this.

Did I mention that I work as a computer programmer (if that helps my chances at getting in on the Beta test of the unit)

I know you're probably gun-shy at this question but any word as to how close to production this is?

Thanks
Derek
WolfSong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008   #340
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 175 Eastcoast will become famous soon enoughEastcoast will become famous soon enoughEastcoast will become famous soon enoughEastcoast will become famous soon enoughEastcoast will become famous soon enoughEastcoast will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to Eastcoast

I didn't have time to go through each and every post here but I saw a number of them on the Zapco 6 peice.

Don't know how many of you have used it but I had about a week with one and hated it. It is powerful but quirky and in general a PIA to use.

This ms-8 peice sounds promising.

In search of the perfect tweeter....
Eastcoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008   #341

Rep Power: 176 blackreplica will become famous soon enoughblackreplica will become famous soon enoughblackreplica will become famous soon enoughblackreplica will become famous soon enoughblackreplica will become famous soon enoughblackreplica will become famous soon enough

Is this thing ever gonna get released....I mean, its cool of Andy to keep us updated and all but when do we start seeing these things for sale? And before anyone calls me impatient, I've been following development of this thing since Andy's first post in the now-defunct carsound.com forum and that was a MIGHTY long time ago. Plenty of release dates have been disclosed since then and nothing ever came out of it.

Not trying to be an ass here...I understand how groundbreaking this product is, and thus the need for things to happen slowly and carefully but surely such a long time is sufficient time for a processor to be developed isnt it, especially considering that working prototypes have been floating around and used in competition even for quite some time now? How committed is JBL to actually releasing this to market?
blackreplica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008   #342
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

believe me when I tell you that you'd have been very unhappy with a product like the working prototypes, unless your use case was precisely the same as those in which the prototypes were used.

Those prototypes were based on nearly 8,000 pages of completely undocumented code written by a guy who quit. Bad...very bad...yes, a huge screw-up. We're working on it and it will be released. When? I don't know and given all of the past proposed release dates that didn't happen, I'm not presenting another one until we have a truckload of preproduction samples that kick ass and a confirmed production date.

I know patience is running thin (mine is too). Sorry.
Old 12-02-2008   #343
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 165 SSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enough

"Use cases" and "undocumented code"... Andy you are beginning to sound like a software engineer

I like most are waiting impatiently as I am sure that this will be an excellent solution. Good luck.
SSSnake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008   #344
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 xlynoz will become famous soon enoughxlynoz will become famous soon enoughxlynoz will become famous soon enoughxlynoz will become famous soon enoughxlynoz will become famous soon enoughxlynoz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
believe me when I tell you that you'd have been very unhappy with a product like the working prototypes, unless your use case was precisely the same as those in which the prototypes were used.

Those prototypes were based on nearly 8,000 pages of completely undocumented code written by a guy who quit. Bad...very bad...yes, a huge screw-up. We're working on it and it will be released. When? I don't know and given all of the past proposed release dates that didn't happen, I'm not presenting another one until we have a truckload of preproduction samples that kick ass and a confirmed production date.

Undocumented code, sounds like some of the developers that used to work for me.

2018 Silverado LTZ Z71 Crew Cab + OEM Head with NAV-TV M650-GM module + JL Audio VX800/8i + JL Audio 1000/1i + Stevens Audio SA6-CS + (2) SI BM MKV
xlynoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008   #345

Rep Power: 176 blackreplica will become famous soon enoughblackreplica will become famous soon enoughblackreplica will become famous soon enoughblackreplica will become famous soon enoughblackreplica will become famous soon enoughblackreplica will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I guess i can definitely see where you're coming from....im sure you want the product out one thousand times more than i do, so i'm not going to give you TOO much of a hard time...suffice to say a lot of us car audio junkies are very very keen to see the MS-8 sitting in our cars at long last. here's to hoping you make that dream a reality one day. In the meantime i'll force myself to tolerate my factory system

I'm also not sure if you're the guy to ask, but on a completely unrelated topic, i'm sending you a PM
blackreplica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008   #346
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 falkenbd will become famous soon enoughfalkenbd will become famous soon enoughfalkenbd will become famous soon enoughfalkenbd will become famous soon enoughfalkenbd will become famous soon enoughfalkenbd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlynoz View Post
Undocumented code, sounds like some of the developers that used to work for me.

sounds like 80% of what I write - so it must be ready
falkenbd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008   #347
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 Swagger will become famous soon enoughSwagger will become famous soon enoughSwagger will become famous soon enoughSwagger will become famous soon enoughSwagger will become famous soon enoughSwagger will become famous soon enough

Andy, did the 325i with the MS-8 that won the sound quality competition in April of 07 have the Logic 7 system. Will the Logic 7 system in a BMW mess with the Logic 7 of the MS-8, will they work in perfect harmony, or does it even matter since the MS-8 will de-eq the bmw stock amp anyway?
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008   #348
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Yeah, the BMW included the Logic7 system. What we'll recommend is that all the signal processing (especially spatial processing) that can be defeated in the factory system should be defeated. Logic7 always has an off switch. Bass and treble fader and balance ought to be set flat or center. Then, MS-8 will do its thing. For OE systems that include DVD audio or video, we'll suggest theat the user should choose the 2-channel downmix of the DVD, which mixes in all of the surround stuff into the 2-channel mix. Then, MS-8 will decode that and play the audio in full surround.
Old 12-09-2008   #349
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 207 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

All this suffering because of cars with overly proprietary dashes and sound systems hard-wired to their silly A/C heat, alarm and other crap. As a car buyer, I'd put these things high on the selection list.. A trend in auto design I hope will reverse or at least not overtake all models.

At least in my ride, the oem actually feeds flat full-freq line-level outs to the OEM amp, which is where any processing actually takes place.. (caveat: as far as I know).
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008   #350
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 Grim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enoughGrim0013 will become famous soon enough

Another MS8 application question :-) If I were forced to choose between rear side or rear deck for rear fill w/ an MS8, which would be the better of the two choices as far as overall effect and quality? Would it even matter up in front? Or would it be better to go rear deck, at least for the sake of rear passengers? Really, I think I would prefer rear deck, if only for keeping a more "stock-ish" look in the cabin. Not that there is much stock about a 600+ HP alcohol injected Grand National, but I'd like to do what I can where I can... I'm not even sure I'll be able to come up with a way to integrate a proper center channel, and I kind of want one.

Which leads to another center question. If I had to choose between a center that is smaller than the FR and FL components, basically a compromise, is it even worth doing it at that point? Like, 4" center vs. 6.5" in the doors. So many tough choices, heh. Trying to do things the right way for a change.
Grim0013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement