JBL's MS-8 processor! - Page 4 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008   #76
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 Sex Cells will become famous soon enoughSex Cells will become famous soon enoughSex Cells will become famous soon enoughSex Cells will become famous soon enoughSex Cells will become famous soon enoughSex Cells will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL's MS-8 processor!

I'm interested....
Sex Cells is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008   #77
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 Slick will become famous soon enoughSlick will become famous soon enoughSlick will become famous soon enoughSlick will become famous soon enoughSlick will become famous soon enoughSlick will become famous soon enough

I heard one of these prototypes and it did sound good..first processor for a car I've ever heard that actually uses a center channel and surrounds to make good old "stereo" sound great! It really did sound good...and with factory door speaker locations...this thing is going to make it easy for people with simple systems have great sound....put it this way...after I heard it, I made sure to get setup with JBL for the shop

Jason Barreca
Audioriginals
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008   #78
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 211 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Production ready product pic...

According to Andy at Harmann, they've got the hardware finalized.. "getting closer". So this thing is making progress though slowly.

I can't emphasize highly enough that I FREAKIN' WANT ONE.

The thing that's cool about these OEM processors is it doesn't matter what car, you can take it with you after you unload the old car for a new one.

I have sneaky suspician this thing is going to spank the H650 and 3sixty.2 and cleansweep in sales.. reason being, it's too easy.. One box solution.. I'd even run it by itself on internal amps for a while to see how it does...

Which brings a question of what nice DIY style mids and tweets (raw drivers) would be a good match for a standalone MS-8 internal amp??? Something relatively efficient and possibly in 4ohm or close to it?? I'm thinking Seas neo tweets, but what mids?

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Fiio X5ii SPDIF, Phone USB HEC, Helix DSP Pro-2, Helix Director, JL XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10/GB25/GB60, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008   #79
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 361 azngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond reputeazngotskills has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Which brings a question of what nice DIY style mids and tweets (raw drivers) would be a good match for a standalone MS-8 internal amp??? Something relatively efficient and possibly in 4ohm or close to it?? I'm thinking Seas neo tweets, but what mids?
It doesnt matter because it will EQ and set it up for you anyways right I would like to have one as well...but im sure pricing will be quite expensive at the release
azngotskills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008   #80
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 211 Babs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the roughBabs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngotskills View Post
It doesnt matter because it will EQ and set it up for you anyways right I would like to have one as well...but im sure pricing will be quite expensive at the release
Well, what I meant was for a cool little 1-box system using just the internal amps of the MS-8 for the front-stage, the 20watt internal amps aren't exactly a powerhouse... So matching up to some mids that were relatively easy to drive.. Maybe mach 5's or something like that that can be bought raw to match active with Neo tweets.. Also maybe dayton 4ohm's.

Yeah.. Someone at CES go bug Andy and get a date when it's hitting the shelves!

2008 Civic Si Sedan - Fiio X5ii SPDIF, Phone USB HEC, Helix DSP Pro-2, Helix Director, JL XD1000/5v2 (2), Audiofrog GB10/GB25/GB60, Acoustic Elegance SBP12 (2)
Build Log

Last edited by Babs; 01-10-2008 at 08:59 AM..
Old 01-10-2008   #81

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 252 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

I sure wish they would have made it with 9 channels of output. Such an advance processor and you can't do an active Logic7 setup with 2way LCR, rears, and sub.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008   #82
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 182 DonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enoughDonutHands will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to DonutHands

lets get 12 channels of output

3 way front
2 way rear
stereo sub

2001 Audi S4
with speakers
DonutHands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #83
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 157 HHawk will become famous soon enoughHHawk will become famous soon enoughHHawk will become famous soon enoughHHawk will become famous soon enoughHHawk will become famous soon enoughHHawk will become famous soon enough

When will the JBL MS-8 be released?

Cause I see a lot of posting of forums about the soundprocessor, but still no release?

Also how will it compare to a Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.2?
HHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #84

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 252 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHawk View Post
When will the JBL MS-8 be released?

Cause I see a lot of posting of forums about the soundprocessor, but still no release?

Also how will it compare to a Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.2?
Maybe for the summer. It will be the best and only stereo processor that uses a center and rears for the stereo reproduction. Dunno how it will compare with Imprint on none center channel and rears L/R applications.
Old 02-05-2008   #85
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 196 GlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enoughGlasSman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0mpl3x View Post
It requires you to controle it with the that god aweful Alpine deck/controler or a damn DVD player which I don't care for in a car and costs near $1000 or more for everything.
I have no problems with the controller. Don't understand why some people don't like it. It could be a little faster.

But for it does you can't beat it.

Even the Zapco DSP-9 is only a 3 way crossover.

///Alpine / Soundstream / Image Dynamics / MB Quart / Fountek

---Custom fabricated speaker baffles and templates---
GlasSman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2008   #86
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Actually.. I kinda like the looks of that controller..

The trick is, feeding the H701 an optical signal without an Alpine DVD head unit such as the 205... I still don't know if it can be done or not.. I'm fairly sure the AiNet signal to the H701 from any other alpine head unit is actually an analog signal.. and from what I've researched, the optical is THE way to go which makes perfect sense to feed digital direct to the 701's dac's.

Not sure what other head units have optical outs, I'm sure just some DVD units from other brands, and if they do, even with the 701 controller, can the 701 accept it?

Build Log
Old 02-13-2008   #87
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 RedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enoughRedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enoughRedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enoughRedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enoughRedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enoughRedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to RedGTiVR6 Send a message via AIM to RedGTiVR6 Send a message via MSN to RedGTiVR6 Send a message via Yahoo to RedGTiVR6

Quote:

The trick is, feeding the H701 an optical signal without an Alpine DVD head unit such as the 205... I still don't know if it can be done or not..
I've been running the H701 and RUX-C701 for about 3 years without a headunit at all. I'm running a custom carPC with Toslink out that goes straight into the H701.

The Alpine 701 Works well (for what it is). Sure it has some downfalls, but it's one of the few options out there. I'd love to find a processor designed for car use with a digital coax input and at least all the features of the Alpine 701. Maybe the MS-8 will prove to be the next best thing once it finally comes out. We will wait (and wait, and wait) and see.

Jan Bennett - Still reppin' the CarPC as my only source unit!

6x USACi National Champion
RedGTiVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008   #88

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 178 durwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
I've been running the H701 and RUX-C701 for about 3 years without a headunit at all. I'm running a custom carPC with Toslink out that goes straight into the H701.

The Alpine 701 Works well (for what it is). Sure it has some downfalls, but it's one of the few options out there. I'd love to find a processor designed for car use with a digital coax input and at least all the features of the Alpine 701. Maybe the MS-8 will prove to be the next best thing once it finally comes out. We will wait (and wait, and wait) and see.

You already have the next generation. You just need to step up and put it to use.

Maybe one day, enough lemmings will fill the trench, and people can cross over to the promised Nirvana.-some wiseguy.
durwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008   #89
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 279 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Jan, there is no digital input on the MS-8.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008   #90
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 Abmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enough

Agreed, car computer would eat the MS8 alive.
Abmolech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008   #91
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
RSR Audio
Position:
Analyst

Rep Power: 183 OldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to OldOneEye Send a message via AIM to OldOneEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmolech View Post
Agreed, car computer would eat the MS8 alive.
You sure about that? What kind of car computer we talking about? Heck, the MS8 hasn't been released yet. But not many people are using the carputer to do auto correction.

Juan

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
Pioneer DEH-PRS80
JL Audio Stealthbox
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 X 3
Polk Audio SR6500
OldOneEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008   #92
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

We're talking about a big-dollar carpc with some kind of serious crazy software, a smokin' multi-RCA sound-card or output into an H701 compared to a sub-$1000 OEM unit with analog inputs, auto-summing, de-eq'ing, auto-room-calibration, etc.... It's apples and oranges.. Not even an interesting comparison I think.

I'm waiting to hear a head to head between the biggie three OEM's:
PXE-H650 vs. 3Sixty.2 vs. MS-8 (either internal or externally amp'd)

Even though I read somewhere a rumor that RF is working on a double-super-secret new OEM unit that's all that, a bucket of chicken, and a 1/2 gallon of sweet tea.

... eh... I just wanna see the MS-8 hit the shelves.. or at least hit the website??? Is it going to? Then I could stare at it and drool and cuss about my wife shutting down the biz and going back to school.

Build Log
Old 02-13-2008   #93
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 Abmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enough

Absolutely sure.

Lets check the "list"

Available?
Decompresser?
Compressor/limiter?
Digital input?
Digital output?
Room correction?
Loudness compensation?
Reverberation correction?
Choice of replay modes, Monophonic, stereophonic, surround, Logic7, ambiophonics, quadraphonics, ambisonics, VBAP?
Can correct recordings with VNC or non VNC?
Full active crossovers, using FIR or IIR?
How many independent channels?, IE mine has 48 routable and fully re-clocked.
Time alignment down to nano seconds?
How many EQ Bessel or your choice of FIR filters do you want per channel?
Terabytes storage?
Plays just about any type of audio recording medium?
Full RTA ability?
Can integrate with standard car controls?
Almost unlimited upgrade path?

Main point
Its available.

MS-8 has missed the boat, it has already sailed.
Old 02-13-2008   #94

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 178 durwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enough

Quote:
We're talking about a big-dollar carpc with some kind of serious crazy software, a smokin' multi-RCA sound-card or output into an H701 compared to a sub-$1000 OEM unit with analog inputs, auto-summing, de-eq'ing, auto-room-calibration, etc.... It's apples and oranges.. Not even an interesting comparison I think.
Quote:
Absolutely sure.

Main point
Its available.

Agreed. BTW, my carpc cost me <$1000 with software, hardware and screen. It is the source unit AND processor. Nothing can even come close at this cost and as Abmolech said it is not bound by some things pointed out which pretty much makes it untouchable.

Maybe one day, enough lemmings will fill the trench, and people can cross over to the promised Nirvana.-some wiseguy.
Old 02-13-2008   #95
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
RSR Audio
Position:
Analyst

Rep Power: 183 OldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to OldOneEye Send a message via AIM to OldOneEye

Quote:
Absolutely sure.

Lets check the "list"

Available?
Decompresser?
Compressor/limiter?
Digital input?
Digital output?
Room correction?
Loudness compensation?
Reverberation correction?
Choice of replay modes, Monophonic, stereophonic, surround, Logic7, ambiophonics, quadraphonics, ambisonics, VBAP?
Can correct recordings with VNC or non VNC?
Full active crossovers, using FIR or IIR?
How many independent channels?, IE mine has 48 routable and fully re-clocked.
Time alignment down to nano seconds?
How many EQ Bessel or your choice of FIR filters do you want per channel?
Terabytes storage?
Plays just about any type of audio recording medium?
Full RTA ability?
Can integrate with standard car controls?
Almost unlimited upgrade path?

Main point
Its available.

Wow, don't forget, the MS-8 can't play minesweeper either.

Where can you get that for about $900 (with prelim pricing that is out there for the MS-8)?

So sure, you can do better than a MS-8 (based on the specs out there), but a car PC that does all that would cost a fortune.

Juan

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
Pioneer DEH-PRS80
JL Audio Stealthbox
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 X 3
Polk Audio SR6500
OldOneEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008   #96

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOneEye View Post
Wow, don't forget, the MS-8 can't play minesweeper either.
Who needs minesweeper?

Quote:
Where can you get that for about $900 (with prelim pricing that is out there for the MS-8)?
Tigerdirect, Newegg, mp3car store and forums.

Quote:
So sure, you can do better than a MS-8 (based on the specs out there), but a car PC that does all that would cost a fortune.
That's a misconception, that's an excuse.

Old 02-13-2008   #97
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

hehehehe.. I was hoping kinda that you guys would jump all over that post and shoot me down.. bang.. rrrrrrrr... splash!

Good stuff.. I just wish I knew how to do a carPC, then I'd be all over it.. I couldn't care less if it could do anything more than store tunes in lossless and full SQ tuning and processing.. At least I do have a double-din.. but have had sticker shock out the yin-yang looking at carPC companies.

What kind of hardware does a guy need for a simple 2-way front + rear + sub?

... Eh.. sorry I know that's totally off topic.

Build Log
Old 02-13-2008   #98
DIYMA 500 Club

Lets see now, is this DIY forum?
yep

So what if we have a computer lying around, and can do it for close to free?
How does MS-8 compare?

Oh thats right, we have the computer...

Clue
This is a DIY forum, yes all the inane sub woofer threads, and the silly passive car speaker recommendations, are making this forum just another car audio forum.

But this forum used to be about DIY, and that included using drivers that where the best bang for the buck. (mostly home audio), and therefore required ACTIVE crossovers and independent channels for there processors.

Tell me again how the MS-8 even remotely fits the bill?
Old 02-13-2008   #99

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by durwood View Post
Agreed. BTW, my carpc cost me <$1000 with software, hardware and screen. It is the source unit AND processor. Nothing can even come close at this cost and as Abmolech said it is not bound by some things pointed out which pretty much makes it untouchable.
I think its more like $2000 for the bare minimum you'll need for a fully functional no compromises carpc headunit that compares directly to a head unit with a screen.
Old 02-13-2008   #100

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
I think its more like $2000 for the bare minimum you'll need for a fully functional no compromises carpc headunit that compares directly to a head unit with a screen.
I accept your challenge. Let's see

AMD BE2350 - $100
matx motherboard - $100
PSU - M2-ATX - $90
1G RAM - $50
Harddrive - $100
DVD drive - $100
OS - $100
Soundcard (let's make it 2 for 16 channels 1010LT) -$400
Audio software - $50+
Screen - $300
GPS - $100

$1500 and I didn't really skimp too bad. If you know what you are looking for it can be done for less.

Of course it CAN cost more, but again, you guys are making excuses. Again I ahve to agree with Abmolech, lots of excuses...this is DIY right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement