JBL's MS-8 processor! - Page 42 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009   #1026
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 128 Bizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enoughBizarroterl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL's MS-8 processor!

MS Series? Can you comment on what that will consist of? Will the MS-8 be the premier item in that series?
Bizarroterl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009   #1027
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 171 AAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enoughAAAAAAA will become famous soon enough

I think there other MS series stuff will be similar to the infinity full range class D amps they have out now but with a different look. I wonder if those RJ45 like connectors will interface somehow with the ms8...
AAAAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009   #1028
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 ryancrouch will become famous soon enoughryancrouch will become famous soon enoughryancrouch will become famous soon enoughryancrouch will become famous soon enoughryancrouch will become famous soon enoughryancrouch will become famous soon enough

Can't wait to see the new productS. And the demo car!
ryancrouch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009   #1029
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 TPMS will become famous soon enoughTPMS will become famous soon enoughTPMS will become famous soon enoughTPMS will become famous soon enoughTPMS will become famous soon enoughTPMS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wehmeyer View Post
Well...the display and the remote will look like that, but the main unit won't. We've revised the design to look like a small family of products that will be the new "MS-Series". I like the new design better, but I don't have any pictures to post.
.. must wait for a 10ch now ?:
(so that, if using two pairs of ch on front doors, could avoid the dilemma of putting two ch remaining on parallel for rear doors together with rear satellites .. )

btw, no need for me to have that 20watt amplification embedded in the device: a battery of specific amps is already waiting to connect to the ms-8 outputs.
just need it to have low-level input capability, as I am one of those who do prefer using pre-outs instead of speaker lines. (especially after all the work done on the audiogateway to get 'em out of it)
TPMS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009   #1030
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 SQ_Only will become famous soon enoughSQ_Only will become famous soon enoughSQ_Only will become famous soon enoughSQ_Only will become famous soon enoughSQ_Only will become famous soon enoughSQ_Only will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to SQ_Only

You guys are just as pathetic as I was. You guys are buying audio gear to go with a device that doesn't exist. I actually bought a vehicle that the MS8 would have fit nicely with, but the rumored existence of this mysterious device actually outlived the vehicle by 13 months! (so far)

Bill
03 IASCA World Champion 03 SLAP National Champion
Linear Power Dynaudio Scosche My Little Truck
SQ_Only is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009   #1031
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 583 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ_Only View Post
You guys are just as pathetic as I was. You guys are buying audio gear to go with a device that doesn't exist. I actually bought a vehicle that the MS8 would have fit nicely with, but the rumored existence of this mysterious device actually outlived the vehicle by 13 months! (so far)
I guess you learned your lesson. I'm still trying to figure out how to install a beta unit in the camel I'm riding around LA. They're legal in the HOV lane here.
Andy Wehmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009   #1032
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 SQ_Only will become famous soon enoughSQ_Only will become famous soon enoughSQ_Only will become famous soon enoughSQ_Only will become famous soon enoughSQ_Only will become famous soon enoughSQ_Only will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I guess you learned your lesson.
Yeah... Never trust anyone with a picture of an unlabled black box in their trunk.

Bill
Old 10-17-2009   #1033
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 CobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
well the only thing im buying is a center channel speaker, but its not an exlusive ms-8 center channel speaker Bill,i can use it with or without the ms-8, guess that makes me pathetic, oh well ive been called worse

but why so angry Bill, did you build your car around this piece or something? or is this something personal between you and Andy?

it seems there have been unforseen setbacks, but it also seems to be in the final stages of completion, and im looking forward to trying this piece out, as well as a bunch of others here, should we hide our enthusiasm because its been delayed? and not try and figure out what it can do and how we can integrate the piece into out systems? would that make you feel better Bill or do you just need a hug today?

SOLD*05 Corvette:Clarion DRZ9255+DCZ625 changer, Scan 6000 tweets,Scan 7" Rev midbass, Scan 4" Rev mids, L-R rear fill, Aura Subs, Zapco c2k's, Zap DC 350.2, Blau VA4100*2010 TUNDRA Dblcab next
CobraVin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009   #1034
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraVin View Post
...but why so angry Bill, did you build your car around this piece or something? or is this something personal between you and Andy?
Why do you think I'm angry? Is my text the wrong color? There's nothing personal between Andy and I, and in fact I thought we've gotten along fine. We've had some exchanges about this behind the scenes, and it was always cordial and productive.

Look at it from a point of view other than your own. The guy made a huge blunder by announcing this thing years and years too early. For most of us, this would have been a career ender, but Andy is still hanging on...

Add to that, the worst economy in my 20+ years of being an 'observer' in this industry, and I'm sitting back and laughing, because (conversely) most of us are performing at our highest level just to keep our positions in corporate America.

Quote:
...but it also seems to be in the final stages of completion...
I thought the same thing... It was a couple of months away from completion... He just needed to finalize one more tweak in the software... In 2007.

Bill
Old 10-17-2009   #1035
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 CobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enoughCobraVin will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Look at it from a point of view other than your own. The guy made a huge blunder by announcing this thing years and years too early. For most of us, this would have been a career ender, but Andy is still hanging on...

i have been waiting for this piece from the beginning as well, so i understand being frustrated, and in hind sight im sure it was a big mistake to announce it back then, but unless you believe there was intentional deception on his part in dragging this out i dont get all the bitching on this thread directed towards Andy, i mean maybe towards the guy that was writing the code that quit, or to people over Andy in the company that delayed or shelved the project, that i could see
...but that would be looking at it from a point of view other than YOUR own

Add to that, the worst economy in my 20+ years of being an 'observer' in this industry, and I'm sitting back and laughing, because (conversely) most of us are performing at our highest level just to keep our positions in corporate America.

again maybe the delays were out of his hands

I thought the same thing... It was a couple of months away from completion... He just needed to finalize one more tweak in the software... In 2007.

well it sounds like they are close,(unless Andy's master plan is just to deceive us all) i guess well see,
so are you gonna buy one IF it does come out? or are you too swole now?

SOLD*05 Corvette:Clarion DRZ9255+DCZ625 changer, Scan 6000 tweets,Scan 7" Rev midbass, Scan 4" Rev mids, L-R rear fill, Aura Subs, Zapco c2k's, Zap DC 350.2, Blau VA4100*2010 TUNDRA Dblcab next
CobraVin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009   #1036
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 TPMS will become famous soon enoughTPMS will become famous soon enoughTPMS will become famous soon enoughTPMS will become famous soon enoughTPMS will become famous soon enoughTPMS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
sorry, but really don't see where the problem is: this long awaited thing is finally only an additional/optional device.
I guess that every system, not only mine, can continue working without it or with some other device which is already available.
nonetheless any tchnological improvement in the state of the art is always welcomed and there's nothing wrong trusting it will.
TPMS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009   #1037
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
so are you gonna buy one IF it does come out? or are you too swole now?
First, I should tell you that I don't have an expectation that it will actually be available for sale, ever. JBL produced their prototypes so that their vehicles could display them in a few competitions. (happens a lot more than you think)

Second, if it ever did get produced, I'll need to evaluate what vehicle I'm driving at the time, if I'm still alive.

Bill
Old 10-18-2009   #1038
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Rep Power: 583 Andy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Wehmeyer has a reputation beyond repute

We'll deliver it.
Old 10-19-2009   #1039
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 138 donkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enoughdonkeypunch22 will become famous soon enough

Andy, I want to get you a shirt that says:

HATERS INSPIRE ME!! THANK YOU.
donkeypunch22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009   #1040
dkh
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 145 dkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enoughdkh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
We'll deliver it.
I CAN'T wait for this to become reality...

No serioulsy, fingers crossed

Make it happen...

Team Hybrids UK
dkh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009   #1041

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 254 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Andy, I have a question about the DIY digital input mod for the MS-8 you mentioned a while back. Will it be possible to send the MS-8 an I²S bus output from a closely mounted USB to I²S converter?

The device has these pinouts.

•Pin 1: Ground
•Pin 2: MCLK
•Pin 3: LRCLK
•Pin 4: BCLK
•Pin 5: DATA
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009   #1042
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Audiofrog Inc.
Position:
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Andy, I have a question about the DIY digital input mod for the MS-8 you mentioned a while back. Will it be possible to send the MS-8 an I²S bus output from a closely mounted USB to I²S converter?

The device has these pinouts.

•Pin 1: Ground
•Pin 2: MCLK
•Pin 3: LRCLK
•Pin 4: BCLK
•Pin 5: DATA

Ahhh...like an Aardvark. That's how much of the development has been done on prototype boards, but now that the microcontroller and display code is basically finished, that interface is obsolete. What would you want to do with the computer connected to this thing?
Old 10-22-2009   #1043

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 254 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Ahhh...like an Aardvark. That's how much of the development has been done on prototype boards, but now that the microcontroller and display code is basically finished, that interface is obsolete. What would you want to do with the computer connected to this thing?
Don't know if it would help with the sound but I though maybe using a USB to i2s converter instead of a USB to spdif converter to send the music from a carpc would better since it would skip the convertion to and from spdif. Or is any advantage it might bring insignificant and would complicate things for nothing.
Old 10-22-2009   #1044
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 149 kkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Don't know if it would help with the sound but I though maybe using a USB to i2s converter instead of a USB to spdif converter to send the music from a carpc would better since it would skip the convertion to and from spdif. Or is any advantage it might bring insignificant and would complicate things for nothing.
I'm guessing the latter. If you are running 2 channel from the USB, then S/PDIF is lossless--so you shouldn't see any degradation there. Actually I think spdif is lossless regardless of stereo vs multi-channel. Do what's easiest and most convenient, I say.

"Music is Art. Audio is Engineering."
May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage.
kkant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009   #1045
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 djcwardog will become famous soon enoughdjcwardog will become famous soon enoughdjcwardog will become famous soon enoughdjcwardog will become famous soon enoughdjcwardog will become famous soon enoughdjcwardog will become famous soon enough

Thumbs up Re: JBL's MS-8 processor! BMW E60 Specifics...

My First Post Here but not really a rookie... Thanks for the great resource!

I am one of those guys who likes the idea of OEM integration. I recently bought my latest "new" car - a 2007 BMW 550i without Logic7. I found this thread (and eventual consumer product) in a web search and I am glad I did. I have obtained just about all I need for my car to run speaker-level inputs into this device - in the trunk - and let it do its thing. I will use the planned 20 watt amp integrated within to power my add-on center channel speaker.

For you BMW-specific folks, for the E60 cars you want to find the Blaupunkt adapter cables and long extension they sold for use with their PnP THA-555 amps. Do a quick search in the 5Series forums for an excellent thread on particulars... The amps are now OOP, but still around on ebay... I plan to get the BSW Stage 1 speaker upgrade kit and an extra driver for the stock location center channel speaker. At least to start, I have no desire to electronically isolate the tweeters from woofers (i.e. replace or bypass the factory crossovers) in doors or rear deck. I'll want to just send a signal to each corner of the car and let the factory crossover split it... Hopefully that won't interfere with the creation or use of a flat signal by the MS-8 This should give me a 4-channel main setup (front LR and Rear LR) + center channel + mono to 2 factory subs (swapped out with identical form factor 8" Earthquakes), totalling 6 channels in all.

Any plans to have this able to integrate into iDrive (Yes - I get that this would likely require a dealer trip to program, plus a kit plus instructions from JBL as to fiber optic cables and power feeds, OEM-spec harnesses, etc...)?

In any event, I can't wait to try this out.

Sincerely,
djcwardog - long-time car audio system upgrader...

Last edited by djcwardog; 10-22-2009 at 01:50 PM..
djcwardog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009   #1046
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 132 instalher will become famous soon enoughinstalher will become famous soon enoughinstalher will become famous soon enoughinstalher will become famous soon enoughinstalher will become famous soon enoughinstalher will become famous soon enough

you guys are getting way to complicated with your converting this to that then back again..... holy crap lets make this much much simpler..... just go buy the new ford transit connect and hire a live band to play in the back!!!!!!!!! lol anyway andy keep up the great work..... ps run for president, i dont think obama is gonna make it at the rate he is going...
instalher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009   #1047
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

12V Company:
Stereo Clarity
Position:
Owner

Rep Power: 166 ItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enoughItalynStylion will become famous soon enough

I must have missed the part where there was a 20watt amp integrated into it. How in the world does that work/is connected?
ItalynStylion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009   #1048

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I must have missed the part where there was a 20watt amp integrated into it. How in the world does that work/is connected?
It's internal and you choose what kind of output (ie line or speaker level) you per active channel.
Old 10-23-2009   #1049
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 backwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enoughbackwoods will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
, i dont think obama is gonna make it at the rate he is going...
Obama was still a rookie in congress when we started talking about this piece...

"We tried so hard to create a society that was equal, where there'd be nothing to envy your neighbor..But there's always something to envy... Something you don't have and want to appropriate. In this world-even a Soviet one-
there will always be rich and poor..."
backwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2009   #1050

Rep Power: 0 Chad335 will become famous soon enoughChad335 will become famous soon enoughChad335 will become famous soon enoughChad335 will become famous soon enoughChad335 will become famous soon enoughChad335 will become famous soon enough

I'd love to see this on the market - will be interesting to see what the actual unit becomes available.
Chad335 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement