JBL's MS-8 processor! - Page 498 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2019   #12426
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 200 Whiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enoughWhiterabbit will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL's MS-8 processor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBox View Post
Does anyone know how the MS-8 adjusts for its sound curve? After reading tips, I have re-ran my acoustic calibration at least 20+ times over the past 2 years. Some tips made my system sound better and some made it sound worse.

After all that I absolutely love the MS-8 sound. I am within 3db of the Harmon Curve (lacking in the 100hz to 200hz range and 2k to 20khz range). So should I use the Graphic EQ to fix those problem areas or just run with it because to my untrained ear it sounds very good!

In case it affects your answer, the MS-8 is in its 5.1 mode with every speaker externally amplified.
It's easy enough to correct and reset if you don;t like it.

FWIW, in my car I heavily correct the tune by EQ and it always always improves things drastically. For me, the value of the MS-8 is the de-tune of the factory, level setting, and T/A setting, combined with the excellent implementation of Logic7.

EQ always needs a wee bit of help.
Whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Whiterabbit For This Useful Post:
KillerBox (02-21-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2019   #12427
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 124 mzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBox View Post
So should I use the Graphic EQ to fix those problem areas or just run with it because to my untrained ear it sounds very good!
Yes!

That's what it's for, to tweak the final sound to your liking. I have a couple of db cuts and boosts here and there to get mine right where I like it.

2010 Mazda CX-9 Touring
-Install Log-
-Tuning Log-
mzmtg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mzmtg For This Useful Post:
KillerBox (02-22-2019), litrekid (03-16-2019)
Old 02-23-2019   #12428
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

Does anyone have the ms8 setup disc file? I dont have the disc.

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
FartinInTheTub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019   #12429
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 126 06gtmike will become famous soon enough06gtmike will become famous soon enough06gtmike will become famous soon enough06gtmike will become famous soon enough06gtmike will become famous soon enough06gtmike will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartinInTheTub View Post
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...post12402.html
06gtmike is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2019   #12430
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 134 nirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enoughnirschl will become famous soon enough

You know, I have one of these brand new in the box and never got around to using it. Didn’t feel the need since I also had a DEH-P01(p99). Anyone feel MS-8 will do a better job?

Team Hybrids JAPAN - Carrozzeria - Zapco- Arc Audio - Hybrid Audio - Stereo Integrity

Toyota Alphard
nirschl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2019   #12431
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 FartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enoughFartinInTheTub will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gtmike View Post
Quote:
https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...post12402.html

Thanks!

Working on an install plan for my 2013 Subaru Legacy. Will post a build log soon!
Old 02-25-2019   #12432
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 115 KillerBox will become famous soon enoughKillerBox will become famous soon enoughKillerBox will become famous soon enoughKillerBox will become famous soon enoughKillerBox will become famous soon enoughKillerBox will become famous soon enough

I am confused about how to check for polarity in the rear speakers while using the MS-8.

I have been turning the MS-8 processor in its defeat mode & the Logic7 off too. Then checking the front and rear speakers with a speaker polarity pop CD track and microphone. By doing this procedure, I made sure the front and rear were both in the same positive polarity.

Does anyone know if this is correct?
KillerBox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2019   #12433
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 105 billqs will become famous soon enoughbillqs will become famous soon enoughbillqs will become famous soon enoughbillqs will become famous soon enoughbillqs will become famous soon enoughbillqs will become famous soon enough

Hey! Long time lurker, but member here. MS-8 continually comes up as a great choice to get a better soundstage. I just bought a Jaguar XE 2017 with Meridian 380W stereo. Like my last vehicle, 2009 Toyota Venza, it has an opening but no center channel. This was for the upgraded Meridian 825W 15 channel system that had surround. In my Venza I got spoiled by my last headunit that had a DTA that when used gave me a terrific soundstage. Now my Jaguar is playing "back in the doors" like it used to be for me. Upgrades to the standard Infotainment system are a no go, without substantial car rewiring and losing some functionality to other systems. So I'm stuck with stock there.

The MS-8 seems to have a really good solution to help open things up front. I had a few questions, though. Is the 18W per channel going to be loud enough to push my stock speakers to good levels, or is an 8 channel aftermarket amp likely to be required?

Is there an easier path using DTA off of a DSP to achieve really good soundstage? Mostly, it's just me and I don't have people who are critical sound people riding with me, though it would be nice to have good sound everywhere. Finally, how reliable are the used and refurb models since this is no longer made? Thanks for your help!
billqs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2019   #12434

Rep Power: 0 kevinduckworth will become famous soon enoughkevinduckworth will become famous soon enoughkevinduckworth will become famous soon enoughkevinduckworth will become famous soon enoughkevinduckworth will become famous soon enoughkevinduckworth will become famous soon enough

No outside DTA is needed, just use the JBL's headphone-style mics (observing proper left & right), plug-in snugly ahead of the calibration run, follow the CD/WAVE-file exactly as it instructs, then remove the mic from the jack once completed. FOLLOW install manual word-by-word; it's well written.
There should also be some good stickies posted on this board too.

The internal amps (rated ~20W-RMS, class-D) inside the MS-8 [in no way can they be bridgeable to combine] are more the sufficient to power a small center channel cleanly. Just run your Center as a high-pass of 150Hz or higher (depending on your center-channel's driver size) frequency. It is recommended to match the brand/series of speakers as your front doors, a 3.5" coax will do; but larger (up to 6.5") is better than smaller; within reason, of course.
Good practice suggests either a 12dB/Octave or 24dB/Octave slope harmonizes better together... YMMV.

You can in the audio level menu dial up/down the center's emphasis (in relation to the true-left & true-right sides); in the event you get too much center presence or are in fear of over-driving a little 3.5" speaker in your dashboard.

The key is EVERYTHING has to process thru the MS-8, then you are at liberty to pick & choose what is powered-off of its internal amps versus RCA to externals.
In the majority of situations, unless you're going for mega-SPL or ultrahigh-end SQ, the "rears" & "sides" (as JBL calls it) are in scenarios, are fine for running-off the MS-8 internal amp channels, in additional to the center-channel information.

That's what I've done since day-1 for a number of years & cannot complain...
* Best of luck!

Last edited by kevinduckworth; 04-08-2019 at 12:48 PM..
kevinduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019   #12435
DIYMA 500 Club

Help me tune my car 😁

I've been messing with the crossover slopes and settings and haven't gotten it where I want it yet.
Here's what I'm working with...

2013 Subaru Legacy

Kenwood DNX-995s
JBL MS8 Processor
JL Audio 900/5
Hybrid Audio L3SE (oem dash)
Hybrid Audio L6V2 (midbass)
MbQuart Premium 6.5 (rearfill)
JL Audio 12w6v3 (1.0cuft Sealed in trunk)

L3SE widebanders are at 350hz and up 12db
L6V2 midbass 65hz-350hz 12db
MbQuart PTD 6.5 (rear doors) 100hz 24db
12W6v3 65hz 12db

Pretend this is your car and select some MS8 settings. If you are familiar with the MS8 please list the settings in order. I appreciate the help and look forward to finding the right sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190404_064025_1554852311841.jpg (1.88 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190408_162316_1554852882506.jpg (1.18 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20190408_162401_1554852918082.jpg (1.54 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190408_101353_1554852971763.jpg (1.22 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20190405_165340_1554853032500.jpg (1.22 MB, 5 views)

Old 04-10-2019   #12436
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 billw will become famous soon enoughbillw will become famous soon enoughbillw will become famous soon enoughbillw will become famous soon enoughbillw will become famous soon enoughbillw will become famous soon enough

What kind of problems are you having? Please be specific. I suspect that a few different things are the likely culprit.

In my experience, most MS8 problems come from playing the sweeps too loud during calibration with the headphones. This is especially true if the problem is in the bass and midbass regions.

Try different levels and see if you find level that gives you a tune you are happy with. -35 to -55 has worked well for me in a few different systems/cars. The one that works best depends on the car and its system.

If you having problems in the midrange and treble, then I suspect that MS8 doesn't care much for your tweeterless setup. Can you add tweeters with some passives? or change the L3se for tweeters and adjust the crossover points?

Do you have everything wired in proper polarity? This can cause issues as well.

The crossover points are probably fine but I would change them all to 24 db slopes. I'd also change the midbass/subwoofer point to 80 hz. That's just nitpicking though. I doubt it makes a lot of difference.
billw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019   #12437
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 kaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enoughkaigoss69 will become famous soon enough

L3SE work great without tweeters and MS-8 doesn't mind at all. I remember getting goosebumps when listening to female vocals. Listen to the sweeps, and make sure the volume is matched, Use a mic or phone app if you can. Sweeps between L3SE and door mid should be within 3-5dB. Use "hidden menu" for level setting, but make sure you read how to use it. Use at own risk. Leave sub out ("no sub") until 60Hz and up sounds good.
kaigoss69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019   #12438
DIYMA 500 Club

I have no idea how to access the hidden menu. As for the l3se mids they sound awesome! I just feel that something is off. Im realizing that it has to be the calibration volume level. I calibrate at -5. From what im reading thats not good. Its difficult to set gains on the 900/5 when using the ms8. Im sure that once i get that figured out i will be golden.

Old 04-10-2019   #12439
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 105 billqs will become famous soon enoughbillqs will become famous soon enoughbillqs will become famous soon enoughbillqs will become famous soon enoughbillqs will become famous soon enoughbillqs will become famous soon enough

Hi! I'm considering a MS8 for my Jaguar XE 2017. Each front has 3 active speakers, bass, midrange and tweeter. There's also a sub out. I figure the rears should not be processed in input though they will have to be handled on the back end. So these 7 channels can be summed to a left and right. I would add a center channel.

The problem is that when it goes to hooking up post ms8 I have 7 channels without rear and sub. What is the best way to handle this?
Old 04-10-2019   #12440
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 141 billw will become famous soon enoughbillw will become famous soon enoughbillw will become famous soon enoughbillw will become famous soon enoughbillw will become famous soon enoughbillw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have no idea how to access the hidden menu. As for the l3se mids they sound awesome! I just feel that something is off. Im realizing that it has to be the calibration volume level. I calibrate at -5. From what im reading thats not good. Its difficult to set gains on the 900/5 when using the ms8. Im sure that once i get that figured out i will be golden.
The input voltage range on the 900/5 is 200 mv-2 volts on the LOW setting. So, set it on LOW and turn the dial all the way left. That will set it at 2 volts (the max output of the MS8).

Yes, calibrating at -5 is way too high. Let us know how it turns out.
The Following User Says Thank You to billw For This Useful Post:
billqs (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019   #12441
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
Hi! I'm considering a MS8 for my Jaguar XE 2017. Each front has 3 active speakers, bass, midrange and tweeter. There's also a sub out. I figure the rears should not be processed in input though they will have to be handled on the back end. So these 7 channels can be summed to a left and right. I would add a center channel.

The problem is that when it goes to hooking up post ms8 I have 7 channels without rear and sub. What is the best way to handle this?
Use the 7 channels you have on the input side.

On the outputs, you've simply run out of channels. You can run passive crossovers between the mid and tweeter. You can also use an amplifier with built in crossovers to actively crossover between the mid and tweeters.

If you do this, set up the front channels as 2 way, set the crossover points for between the midbass and midrange (probably 300-400 hz). Then the passive or amp crossover will take over from there. This works fine as long as the mid and tweeter are close together.

You'll have to run the sides and center as a 1 way with passives or a crossover after the MS8 as well. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to billw For This Useful Post:
billqs (04-11-2019)
Old 04-10-2019   #12442
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
L3SE work great without tweeters and MS-8 doesn't mind at all. I remember getting goosebumps when listening to female vocals. Listen to the sweeps, and make sure the volume is matched, Use a mic or phone app if you can. Sweeps between L3SE and door mid should be within 3-5dB. Use "hidden menu" for level setting, but make sure you read how to use it. Use at own risk. Leave sub out ("no sub") until 60Hz and up sounds good.
I'm skeptical about this. L3SE might be ok w/o a tweeter on axis, but I suspect it changes dramatically firing up from the corners of the dash and creating reflections from the windshield, side window, and mixing that with the original sound waves.
Old 04-10-2019   #12443
DIYMA 500 Club

Don't you mean that I should turn it all the way to the right? Turning it to the right increases the gain.

[QUOTE=billw;5685741]
Quote:
I have no idea how to access the hidden menu. As for the l3se mids they sound awesome! I just feel that something is off. Im realizing that it has to be the calibration volume level. I calibrate at -5. From what im reading thats not good. Its difficult to set gains on the 900/5 when using the ms8. Im sure that once i get that figured out i will be golden.[/QUOTE

The input voltage range on the 900/5 is 200 mv-2 volts on the LOW setting. So, set it on LOW and turn the dial all the way left. That will set it at 2 volts (the max output of the MS8).

Yes, calibrating at -5 is way too high. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by FartinInTheTub; 04-10-2019 at 07:25 PM..
Old 04-11-2019   #12444
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw View Post
Use the 7 channels you have on the input side.

On the outputs, you've simply run out of channels. You can run passive crossovers between the mid and tweeter. You can also use an amplifier with built in crossovers to actively crossover between the mid and tweeters.

If you do this, set up the front channels as 2 way, set the crossover points for between the midbass and midrange (probably 300-400 hz). Then the passive or amp crossover will take over from there. This works fine as long as the mid and tweeter are close together.

You'll have to run the sides and center as a 1 way with passives or a crossover after the MS8 as well. Hope this helps.
A passive crossover seems like it would work. The consensus seems to be that the amping from JBL will be sufficient for the door speakers, and the sub has it's own amp. This seems doable. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2019   #12445
DIYMA 500 Club

Can someone please assist me in setting my gains on my JL 900/5 in conjunction with the MS8? I've been told to turn the switch to low and crank it one way. Could someone please help me set this right? My car sounds like garbage. Here is the layout.

Kenwood DNX-995s with 5v preouts
JL 900/5
JBL MS8
AP NZ3 ALBE/ HAT L6v2 (frontstage)
JL12W6v3

I appreciate any help setting this up!

Old 05-05-2019   #12446
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

I've got the ms-8 but am in a holding pattern till the dealership gets my headunit back to full functionality after they "lost" HD Radio in the infotainment software update. Got to keep changes small till after they get it right, less they try to squirm out of it because of aftermarket units and such.

I see an Aux L and R input for a music player. This would help me a great deal as it should be superior to the sound from the stock head unit. How is the Aux switched between the main in and the Aux? Is it a switch on the display screen?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 05-05-2019   #12447

12V Company:
Car Toys
Position:
MECP Advanced Certified Noob

Rep Power: 27 mattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enoughmattkim1337 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've got the ms-8 but am in a holding pattern till the dealership gets my headunit back to full functionality after they "lost" HD Radio in the infotainment software update. Got to keep changes small till after they get it right, less they try to squirm out of it because of aftermarket units and such.

I see an Aux L and R input for a music player. This would help me a great deal as it should be superior to the sound from the stock head unit. How is the Aux switched between the main in and the Aux? Is it a switch on the display screen?

Thanks for all your help!
There's a menu on the display called Input Selection. You can manually switch between the Main inputs and the Aux input there.

iPad Pro dash integration and 7.1 Surround Audiofrog system with fully custom installation and fabrication. CLICK HERE to see the complete build log with pics
mattkim1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mattkim1337 For This Useful Post:
billqs (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019   #12448
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 124 mzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enoughmzmtg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I see an Aux L and R input for a music player. This would help me a great deal as it should be superior to the sound from the stock head unit.
Part of the MS-8's process is correcting the input it gets from the stock head unit into a flat two channel stereo signal.

You may be surprised how good it sounds when it's all said and done with the stock HU.

2010 Mazda CX-9 Touring
-Install Log-
-Tuning Log-
mzmtg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mzmtg For This Useful Post:
billqs (05-06-2019)
Old 05-26-2019   #12449
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

ok...new dilemma... I’m in the midst of wiring in my MS8 and I have 2 choices for input. I found a 2 channel full spectrum sound going from my Head unit to the factory amp. 2 problems... 1. The. Sound us speaker level. 2. It is a constant high level. Volume is controlled by the factory amp. Is not being able to use my volume control on the car worth me bypassing the amp signal for a bit better sound? What would you do? ZThanks!
Old 05-29-2019   #12450
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Well, I finally got the wiring harnesses done. Since each driver has it's own wires, I ended up doing the advice above and running Front Bass Front Mid/Tweet with a 2 way passive crossover, 2 channels for the rear with crossovers a sub and a center channel.

I had tested for basic functionality when I first got this a few months ago and it turned on. It did not come with a display cable so I used the post and picture here on the forum to make my own 2.5mm cable. I plugged it up, got the blue light but nothing on display. I took the display cable apart and reattached since the wires are so small it would be easy for them to come apart. When I went to plug it back in, instead of going into the display jack on the unit, the cable pushed the display jack back into the unit.

I'm not really good with soldering and I've not had success getting the MS-8 open, yet. I did acquire the service manual, and will share it with anyone on here who would like it. I have some IT buddies here at work that will look it over for me, but I believe it's shot.

My best way forward is to source another MS-8 since all the wiring is ready to go. It's frustrating, but I guess that's what happens sometimes when you are using a discontinued product and used or NOS is all that is available. Hopefully, I'll be able to close the deal on the replacement unit I'm trying to buy.

If anyone wants a copy of the service manual, just PM me, and we'll figure out how to get it to you. It's a 7mb download.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement