JBL's MS-8 processor! - Page 7 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008   #151
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 Abmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enough

Default Re: JBL's MS-8 processor!

Are you serious?
They would be collectors items here.
It would cost me more to put my computer in the garbage than what i could sell it for here. this ones a P4 2.6 with 2 gigs of memory, only way I would get anything for it, is someone wanted the genuine XP on it.
Abmolech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008   #152
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
RSR Audio
Position:
Analyst

Rep Power: 183 OldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to OldOneEye Send a message via AIM to OldOneEye

$150 > free.

Out here you still have to spend a few bucks either way, and frankly, I'm not spending a ton of time fixing up some old POS computer just to have it die. Like painting a car, getting a new suspension and then putting in a used motor. Not my thing.

Juan

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
Pioneer DEH-PRS80
JL Audio Stealthbox
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 X 3
Polk Audio SR6500
OldOneEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008   #153
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 279 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

Yeap, unfortunately so.

Again, might be my particular market.

And I've been flirting with the carputer thing for a couple of years now...and if there is any person who really really wanted it to be a "simple" solution, it would be me. I really hate having to take all of my CDs around with me. I only use the digital input on the Rane, and if there was a way I could get everything in one place AND keep it all in a digital output AND keep the files uncompressed...well, it wouldn't take much to get me onboard. Maybe a couple of years a go I would/could have put up with the fickle nature of the beast, but right now I'm tired of special this and that, and I just want crap to work the first time without any headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmolech View Post
Are you serious?
They would be collectors items here.
It would cost me more to put my computer in the garbage than what i could sell it for here. this ones a P4 2.6 with 2 gigs of memory, only way I would get anything for it, is someone wanted the genuine XP on it.
thehatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008   #154

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 178 durwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enough

I salvaged a pentium4 mobile 1.6Ghz processor off ebay $25 shipped. Ancient board from tigerdirect $20. 512MB ram, $20.

Runs everything just fine. Audio processing up the wazzoo and I can still use GPS and such. Only time it bogs down is video, but it can still crank it out. I really don't need video, but everyone always asks, does it play DVD's?

Companies practically give away P4's now when they upgrade their office PC's. Find a guy dumping older P4's off of lease. Make a smaller case (we don't need the bulky PSU), buy a DC-DC unit. Call it a day.

Just trying to give you options guys.

If you can compact it down, a microATX board is about 9.6"x8.5".

Maybe one day, enough lemmings will fill the trench, and people can cross over to the promised Nirvana.-some wiseguy.
durwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008   #155
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Rep Power: 279 thehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud ofthehatedguy has much to be proud of

<- needs to find these P4s that are going to these dumpsters. Could use one in the car and a new one in the house.
Old 02-13-2008   #156
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 167 Abmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enoughAbmolech will become famous soon enough

I would love to give you some of mine (Nice to see them go to a good home. )

Make friends with your local small computer store.
They "trade them in" sometimes, otherwise they would get the customer to give you theirs.
Old 02-13-2008   #157

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 178 durwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enoughdurwood will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehatedguy View Post
<- needs to find these P4s that are going to these dumpsters. Could use one in the car and a new one in the house.
I don't know about free, but I see them everywhere for about $20-30. Sometimes you can land a good deal off egay for $20 shipped.

I've got a guy I've bought a few things from that he gets pc's off leases and sells them cheap @ mp3car. I picked up P4 2.4Ghz with motherboard and 512MB RAM for $60 shipped and he threw in another 1G of RAM.

Maybe one day, enough lemmings will fill the trench, and people can cross over to the promised Nirvana.-some wiseguy.
Old 02-13-2008   #158
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

I'll have to start bugging some of my computer nerd friends and see what they have laying around...or can get access to.
Old 02-13-2008   #159

Enthusiast

If you have a socket 478 motherboard-

$8 - 1.8Ghz

Old 02-13-2008   #160

Enthusiast

Quote:
I'll have to start bugging some of my computer nerd friends and see what they have laying around...or can get access to.
There you go. If they are true computer nerds they WILL have a stash.

Old 02-13-2008   #161

Enthusiast

Last edited by durwood; 02-13-2008 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: bad link
Old 02-13-2008   #162
DIYMA 500 Club

Start a thread in off topic, to see if someone will give thehatedguy a decent computer?
I am sure there would be heaps of them around.
Old 02-13-2008   #163
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

<- is the guy who at the time had some free cash for a project and found out the day AFTER npdang sold his carputer that he had it forsale at a crackhead price.
Old 02-13-2008   #164
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

Mmm, some people might, but it would be loaded with viruses just to get back at me for being so loved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abmolech View Post
Start a thread in off topic, to see if someone will give thehatedguy a decent computer?
I am sure there would be heaps of them around.
Old 02-13-2008   #165
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Mmm, some people might, but it would be loaded with viruses just to get back at me for being so loved
ROFL
Old 02-13-2008   #166
Upgrade Your Membership!

Diyma Ninja

durwood, that processor chip and this MB would be a good start?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Pentium-4-Ce...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-14-2008   #167
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 152 qpwoeiruty999 will become famous soon enoughqpwoeiruty999 will become famous soon enoughqpwoeiruty999 will become famous soon enoughqpwoeiruty999 will become famous soon enoughqpwoeiruty999 will become famous soon enoughqpwoeiruty999 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Though i'm not durwood, i personally bought a mobo similar to http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MSI-915GM-...sid=p1638.m122 .

You can make your own research, but i personally feel that a Pentium M processor of 1.86GHz and up is minimum for the requirements of audio processing. Also cheap, efficient, low power requirements.
qpwoeiruty999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008   #168

Enthusiast

Quote:

Hmm, not familiar with biostar boards but the price is a little high. Brands I've had good luck with:

ASUS
Intel
Gigabyte
MSI

Most of those you can find for around $40-50. I should make a run to my local tigerdirect and see if they have any intel boards on the shelf. I picked one up from them for $20. The processor I linked is a regular desktop PC CPU and they can be power and heat hogs and might not withstand the car environment. I only linked it to show they are cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qpwoeiruty999 View Post
Though i'm not durwood, i personally bought a mobo similar to http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-MSI-915GM-...sid=p1638.m122 .

You can make your own research, but i personally feel that a Pentium M processor of 1.86GHz and up is minimum for the requirements of audio processing. Also cheap, efficient, low power requirements.
I agree the pentium mobile processors are the way to go due to low heat and power requirements which means you can use a cheaper DC-DC PSU and a low noise fan on the CPU. They are reasonabley priced an best bang for the buck.

Here are viable Carputer options.

1) Pentium M socket 479 processors >1.8Ghz $50-100+
2) Socket 479 motherboard $50-100
3) M2-ATX DC-DC PSU $90

Downside-those processors and motherboards are not the best deal price wise

1) Pentium 4 Mobile socket 478 processors 1.5Ghz-2Ghz range-$20-60
2) Socket 478 motherboard $20-50
3) M2-ATX DC-DC PSU $90

Best bang for the buck if you can find a used motherboard. This combo will give you the bare minimum for a carpc processor.

If you want newer hardware and want to be a little mroe on top of current tech

1) AMD BE2300 or 2350 dual core processor. ~$100
2) socket AM2 motherboard ~$50-100
3) M2-ATX DC-DC PSU $90

If you go with regular pentium 4 processors or AMD (which I DON"T recommend) then you have to step up to a $200-250 DC-DC power supply. Same goes for the new intel duo core chips.

This is pretty far OT, so if anyone is really serious, start up a separate thread and we can talk about other hardware options.

Old 02-14-2008   #169
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 kkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by durwood View Post
Hmm, not familiar with biostar boards but the price is a little high. Brands I've had good luck with:

ASUS
Intel
Gigabyte
MSI
I will stress the Gigabyte recommendation. Especially for a audio or home theater application. Most other boards make noise, commonly called "coil whine" or "chirping crickets", when the CPU is at nonzero load. The *only* recent boards I've bought that do not have this problem are Gigabyte boards. The Gigabyte boards are explicitly designed with better power supply components (caps, coils) to avoid the coil whine problem.

"Music is Art. Audio is Engineering."
May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage.
kkant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008   #170
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 RedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enoughRedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enoughRedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enoughRedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enoughRedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enoughRedGTiVR6 will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to RedGTiVR6 Send a message via AIM to RedGTiVR6 Send a message via MSN to RedGTiVR6 Send a message via Yahoo to RedGTiVR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOneEye View Post
$150 > free.

Out here you still have to spend a few bucks either way, and frankly, I'm not spending a ton of time fixing up some old POS computer just to have it die. Like painting a car, getting a new suspension and then putting in a used motor. Not my thing.

Juan
GUYS! REALLY?!

You all are acting like you get your head units for free! I don't think anyone is suggesting that you go and swap out your already paid for equipment for a CarPC...I see that we're saying if someone were to start an install and might consider buying a new or a replacement HU a CarPC would be an option!

How in the world did this get so twisted?!

Jan Bennett - Still reppin' the CarPC as my only source unit!

6x USACi National Champion
RedGTiVR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008   #171
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
RSR Audio
Position:
Analyst

Rep Power: 183 OldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to OldOneEye Send a message via AIM to OldOneEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
GUYS! REALLY?!

You all are acting like you get your head units for free! I don't think anyone is suggesting that you go and swap out your already paid for equipment for a CarPC...I see that we're saying if someone were to start an install and might consider buying a new or a replacement HU a CarPC would be an option!

How in the world did this get so twisted?!
The issue isn't the free part, but the feeling that some of us are unwashed masses for not trying it because its see "cheap", "quick", "easy" and "free". I think the word "ostrich" came up as well.

For some people a CarPC is a great solution. I work with a guy who is building a killer one for his car and I've learned a lot from him. But you have to do your process and like anything, you get out of it what you put into it.

I just have an issue with people making blanket statements like the ones that have been made in this post. If someone had said "it's a good amount of work, a good amount of money, but well worth it for those who have the skills to do it", I don't think this thread would have headed the way it did.

Juan

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
Pioneer DEH-PRS80
JL Audio Stealthbox
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 X 3
Polk Audio SR6500
OldOneEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008   #172
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 sedtc will become famous soon enoughsedtc will become famous soon enoughsedtc will become famous soon enoughsedtc will become famous soon enoughsedtc will become famous soon enoughsedtc will become famous soon enough

if i may chime in: the carputer is definately superior. after having one in my ride, it feels downright anachronistic to drive around without one but i also understand that it is not for everyone. an 8" touchscreen with a custom front end skin certainly trumps the tiny screen available on even the double din units and i don't miss the esoteric interfaces that are used on most HUs. i can't remember the last time i had to handle a CD in the car and that alone was worth the price of admission. with an effecient dual core cpu and a highend audio card, it would be that much easier to add audio processing to the list of carputer duties. all of this functionality can be attained for less than $1k (depending on hardware choices) and still outperform almost all of the HU and/or external processors i've seen used.

bottom line: using the traditional HUs are like running a set of off the shelf components with the included passive crossover while the carputer is much more akin to an active set up; the carputer is simply more user configurable than any other solutions available. for some of you who love tweaking your set up, the carputer is problably a smaller leap than you would expect.

/sales pitch
sedtc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008   #173

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOneEye View Post
The issue isn't the free part, but the feeling that some of us are unwashed masses for not trying it because its see "cheap", "quick", "easy" and "free". I think the word "ostrich" came up as well.

I just have an issue with people making blanket statements like the ones that have been made in this post. If someone had said "it's a good amount of work, a good amount of money, but well worth it for those who have the skills to do it", I don't think this thread would have headed the way it did.
I can see that. "Free" was probably not completely true- we tend to get emotional for some things we believe in.

I can build bare bones systems for people and get the basic software/hardware setup (including windows) if they like. I cannot distribute freeware and shareware though legally, the pay versions yes but they are costly. Also, I'd have to limit support because I know how quickly computer questions can escalate and take up an enormous amount of time-which I have limited time as everyone else. Would this interest anyone?

Again, I strongly recommend moving this discussion to a new thread or a different thread. I'm the one responsible as I instigated the derailing of the original thread.

Old 02-14-2008   #174
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 168 SSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enoughSSSnake will become famous soon enough

However, the software costs to get you to MS-8 levels of performance are going to be pretty steep. I would be surprised if you could buy the HW and SW for less than the $1K mentioned. If so let me know because I happed to have a MOBO and processor lying around and I would love the throw it in the car.

Keep in mind I am looking for the following features:
4 way active xover (this includes sub)
Outputs for front, rear, and center
31 Band Graphic EQ for each channel
7 band Parametric EQ for each channel (love the ability to use parametric and graphic on the same channel - which most Car PCs can do)
Time Alignment for each channel
Gain Control (pretty easy)

Added bonus
a good expander

I am not familiar if the MS-8 can do all of these (pretty sure it doesn't do the expander function) but from memory it gets pretty close.

BTW - If someone buys all of my Alpine gear for a good price I'll put the Car PC in tomorrow (otherwise I would just use the PC as a processor - as indicated above).

TME-770
DVD changer (don't remember the number)
SSSnake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008   #175
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 kkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSnake View Post
Keep in mind I am looking for the following features:
4 way active xover (this includes sub)
Outputs for front, rear, and center
31 Band Graphic EQ for each channel
7 band Parametric EQ for each channel (love the ability to use parametric and graphic on the same channel - which most Car PCs can do)
Time Alignment for each channel
Gain Control (pretty easy)

Added bonus
a good expander
All of the above is quite straightforward. I don't know for sure about the expander, but I'm almost certain you can get all of this for free for a PC with the links that durwood has provided in this thread.

But the MS-8 will do more than this. It provides a proprietary EQ that "is better than a parametric/graphic" in the words of the JBL rep (not sure how much weight to give that yet). And it has an auto-eq'ing function that takes binaural measurements at multiple seat positions and head positions, and has already won several nationwide SQ contests (not sure how much to weight this yet, either). Those are the functions that I think will be difficult to match on the PC side.

"Music is Art. Audio is Engineering."
May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage.
kkant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement