JBL's MS-8 processor! - Page 9 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008   #201

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 252 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Default Re: JBL's MS-8 processor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillyyo View Post
I don't see in his post where he states a 2 way center. For simplicity sake, I think I would just go as good and big of a coaxial as I could anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
It would work perfectly for me.

2-way front L/R
1-way center
1 way rear L/R
1 way sub

Homemade passive crossovers for center
and rears (which will have mid & tweet right next to each other) and that's a wrap.

I wonder if 2 MS-8's could be strapped together for those with more complicated setups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillyyo View Post
Why would you need passive crossovers for the center and sub channel?! AFAIK each channel has a crossover option of HP, LP or BP. All 8 channels can be run actively.
1 way from MS-8 but going to 2 drivers.

Last edited by t3sn4f2; 02-17-2008 at 10:04 AM..
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008   #202

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 252 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

I think I would go 2 way active LCR+sub and thats that.
Old 02-17-2008   #203
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 190 Weightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enough

This is looking like it might actually make it to the shelves this year.

I would love to run this as a 3-way L/R, coax or full range for center and a sub.

It would be nice if they made an expansion module for it though...maybe to run 3-way L/R, 2-way center, rears and a sub...but I am sure that is asking too much.

...you got it buddy, the large print giveth and the small print taketh away...
Weightless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008   #204
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 Dillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weightless View Post
This is looking like it might actually make it to the shelves this year.

I would love to run this as a 3-way L/R, coax or full range for center and a sub.

It would be nice if they made an expansion module for it though...maybe to run 3-way L/R, 2-way center, rears and a sub...but I am sure that is asking too much.

Please, 8 channels has taken them about 1.5 years and counting........don't throw any wrenches into the mix until its out!
Dillyyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2008   #205
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 190 Weightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enoughWeightless will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I guess just getting the product first would be nice.

...you got it buddy, the large print giveth and the small print taketh away...
Weightless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008   #206

Enthusiast

http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csfor...t=65671&page=6

"Starting on packaging and the owner's manual today. Getting closer...
Mobile Systems Division"

Old 03-11-2008   #207
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
RSR Audio
Position:
Analyst

Rep Power: 183 OldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to OldOneEye Send a message via AIM to OldOneEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post

Mobile Systems Division"

Not sure that means much. To design it, they had to have written a technical specifications manual anyway months (well, at this point years) ago. They could have probably written an owners manual a long time before product can ship.

Juan

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
Pioneer DEH-PRS80
JL Audio Stealthbox
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 X 3
Polk Audio SR6500
OldOneEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008   #208
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 169 Daishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enough

This thing better come out soon
Daishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008   #209
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 Dillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enoughDillyyo will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Mobile Systems Division"

NICE!! I hope its all its cracked up to be. Only thing is WHY 8 channels and not 10?!?!
Dillyyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008   #210
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 LastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOneEye View Post
They could have probably written an owners manual a long time before product can ship.
You'd be surprised.
LastResort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008   #211

Enthusiast

Quote:
Not sure that means much. To design it, they had to have written a technical specifications manual anyway months (well, at this point years) ago. They could have probably written an owners manual a long time before product can ship.

Juan
I just take it as another sign it will eventually come out.
Old 03-11-2008   #212
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 169 Daishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enoughDaishi will become famous soon enough

Yeah, my company makes VERY expensive VERY specific electronic devices used in the scientific field, and I can tell you for a fact that the owners manual is the LAST thing they do. Sometimes it's done after the first couple of instruments have been sold LOL.
Old 03-11-2008   #213

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
Yeah, my company makes VERY expensive VERY specific electronic devices used in the scientific field, and I can tell you for a fact that the owners manual is the LAST thing they do. Sometimes it's done after the first couple of instruments have been sold LOL.
Can't wait to read it. Then again.......JBL manuals suck @$$.
Old 03-11-2008   #214
DIYMA 500 Club

Trust me you don't want to read it. Written usually by French Canadians and they don't really care that their english isn't very good
Old 03-11-2008   #215
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 kkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Mobile Systems Division"

K i c k a s s.

"Music is Art. Audio is Engineering."
May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage.
kkant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008   #216
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 monkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enough

I emailed Andy just this week. From what he has told me, it will be out by the end of summer. That is what I am shooting for.
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008   #217
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 kkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enoughkkant will become famous soon enough

End of summer? For a user manual and some boxes? Hmm...

If that's true, something tells me they're not yet actually finished with the MS-8 itself.

Old 03-12-2008   #218
jay
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 176 jay will become famous soon enoughjay will become famous soon enoughjay will become famous soon enoughjay will become famous soon enoughjay will become famous soon enoughjay will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkant View Post
End of summer? For a user manual and some boxes? Hmm...

If that's true, something tells me they're not yet actually finished with the MS-8 itself.
4-5 months...it's a bit long but doesn't seem that unreasonable, depending on where they'll be sourcing the printing/packaging/etc. fwiw, i don't remember them saying user manual and boxes are all that's left...it's simply what they're working on at this point.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008   #219
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 146 LastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enoughLastResort will become famous soon enough

After this amount of time, I would assume they are picking a very outside date. What's two more months after 2 years?
LastResort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2008   #220
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 154 monkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy will become famous soon enough

I know a while back Andy said he was going to quit making assumptions and shoot for a worst case date. He was tired of having to tell us it was delayed.
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008   #221
DIYMA 500 Club

Well, I sure hope so. We'll see.

Old 05-13-2008   #222
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 sprtwin1 will become famous soon enoughsprtwin1 will become famous soon enoughsprtwin1 will become famous soon enoughsprtwin1 will become famous soon enoughsprtwin1 will become famous soon enoughsprtwin1 will become famous soon enough

Andy (or anyone who knows the answer), I have a couple of quick questions for you.

1) Currently, I plan on installing a set of polk's SR6500 in my car in just a few weeks. However, I have read before that the speaker does not make the system good, rather the tuning. So, with such a good processor/automatic tuner, would such great speakers lose their advantage over middle-of-the-range speakers? If they would lose their advantage, how "good" of a speaker would be required for optimal sound quality?

2) With this new processor, I hear a lot of talk about a center channel. Is there any advantage to a center channel besides giving the other passengers an accurate sound stage?

3) What type of speaker should the center channel be, a full range speaker, a tweeter, or a component set?

4) Assuming the answer to question #1 is better speakers are still advantageous, does the same apply to the center channel? In other words, does the center channel need to be an equivalent speaker to the L and R speakers, or can it be treated like rear fill in the sense that just an decent speaker is required?

Thanks so much. I look forward to owning a MS-8 in the near future!
sprtwin1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008   #223
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
RSR Audio
Position:
Analyst

Rep Power: 183 OldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enoughOldOneEye will become famous soon enough

Send a message via ICQ to OldOneEye Send a message via AIM to OldOneEye

1. Average speaker in a great spot will probably do better than a great speaker in a poor spot. After that, poor tuning can cause issues as well (imagine well prepared Filet Mignon.... with ketchup on top... or no seasoning at all). Good ingredients, plus good location plus good preparation.

2 + 3. Depends, the above still applies. Spectrally you probably want to run similar speakers to the ones you already have in the left and right location, if not the same (sometimes compromises are made or changes made because of how the speaker will be located... but if you notice, lots of systems for home theater have 3 fronts or all 5 speakers (in a 5.1 system) the same. That might create a problem in most cars (since people usually go with as big as will fit in the doors/kickpanels/dash for left and right) and finding "extra" space in the dash might be a problem.

Juan

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
Pioneer DEH-PRS80
JL Audio Stealthbox
Boston Acoustics GT-2125 X 3
Polk Audio SR6500
OldOneEye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008   #224
Ge0
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 168 Ge0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enoughGe0 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtwin1 View Post
Andy (or anyone who knows the answer), I have a couple of quick questions for you.

1) Currently, I plan on installing a set of polk's SR6500 in my car in just a few weeks. However, I have read before that the speaker does not make the system good, rather the tuning. So, with such a good processor/automatic tuner, would such great speakers lose their advantage over middle-of-the-range speakers? If they would lose their advantage, how "good" of a speaker would be required for optimal sound quality?

2) With this new processor, I hear a lot of talk about a center channel. Is there any advantage to a center channel besides giving the other passengers an accurate sound stage?

3) What type of speaker should the center channel be, a full range speaker, a tweeter, or a component set?

4) Assuming the answer to question #1 is better speakers are still advantageous, does the same apply to the center channel? In other words, does the center channel need to be an equivalent speaker to the L and R speakers, or can it be treated like rear fill in the sense that just an decent speaker is required?

Thanks so much. I look forward to owning a MS-8 in the near future!
I had damn near the same questions. Visit hear and read the thread in its entirety to get your answers:

http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csfor...highlight=ms-8

Ge0

Welcome fellow Detroiter!!!

Alpine, Zapco, Scanspeak, Image Dynamics, Critical Mass
Life lesson #1) En boca cerradas no entra moscas! (loose translation: sometimes it is best to keep your fuggin mouth shut and listen)
Ge0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2008   #225

Enthusiast

Quote:
1. Average speaker in a great spot will probably do better than a great speaker in a poor spot. After that, poor tuning can cause issues as well (imagine well prepared Filet Mignon.... with ketchup on top... or no seasoning at all). Good ingredients, plus good location plus good preparation.

2 + 3. Depends, the above still applies. Spectrally you probably want to run similar speakers to the ones you already have in the left and right location, if not the same (sometimes compromises are made or changes made because of how the speaker will be located... but if you notice, lots of systems for home theater have 3 fronts or all 5 speakers (in a 5.1 system) the same. That might create a problem in most cars (since people usually go with as big as will fit in the doors/kickpanels/dash for left and right) and finding "extra" space in the dash might be a problem.

Juan
Actually the rear sides and rears only need to play down to 150Hz to create the affect, Andy actually recommends it like this way instead of playing lower even if you are able to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement