Alpine PXA-H800 Processor Discussion Thread - Page 6 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011   #126
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 ekrunch will become famous soon enoughekrunch will become famous soon enoughekrunch will become famous soon enoughekrunch will become famous soon enoughekrunch will become famous soon enoughekrunch will become famous soon enough

Default re: Alpine PXA-H800 Processor Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage_Man View Post
The question I have now is will this sound better than my Matt Roberts modified 701? It obviously has more tweakability but will that trumph Matt's magic?
Good question. I'm holding on to mine for just a little while longer until we find out.

My main issue with the 701 was the analog input section. The 701 sucked at that and Matt's normal mod doesn't address it. My problem has been that there was no head unit with optical out and full digital iPod control via USB (not the older analog implementations). I run a changer with my 701 via optical and the difference is night and day, but the iPod with all of my CDs ripped in 400kbps AAC is just too convenient to pass up on. Now with the new double DIN head unit coming out that has optical, a modded 701 might be a great choice, especially considering that it's not clear as to whether or not the 800 will do Dolby Digital/DTS.

Another thing to consider is that the new processor will require the controller. The new double DIN unit will probably control the 701 completely, just like my IXA-W407 does. For those who don't want to run the controller, the 800 is a bad choice since it has been noted that you cannot control all of the features without the controller, even with the new head unit.

Alpine INA-W910/PXA-H800/RUX-C800, JL HD1200 & HD600, Hertz HSK-165XL, Hertz HX300
MechMan Alternator, Racingline Grounding Kit, JL Wiring
My 2009 Nissan Maxima Build - Click Here
ekrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011   #127
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 dh8009 will become famous soon enoughdh8009 will become famous soon enoughdh8009 will become famous soon enoughdh8009 will become famous soon enoughdh8009 will become famous soon enoughdh8009 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrunch View Post
Another thing to consider is that the new processor will require the controller. The new double DIN unit will probably control the 701 completely, just like my IXA-W407 does. For those who don't want to run the controller, the 800 is a bad choice since it has been noted that you cannot control all of the features without the controller, even with the new head unit.
Good point. I just read that on the Car Audio Magazine.websiteAlpine at CES 2011 - Events - Car Audio and Electronics
dh8009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #128

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,017 Times in 479 Posts
Rep Power: 26015 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
For those who don't want to run the controller, the 800 is a bad choice since it has been noted that you cannot control all of the features without the controller, even with the new head unit.
Well, technically, you don't get all the features of the 700/701 without the controller, either. One being auto t/a. May be a couple other small settings as well, but that's one I can say for sure.
So, when we say that the 800 can't be used fully without the controller, just how fully are we saying?

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011   #129
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 305 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The processor and its controller are sold separately yet the controller is needed to take full advantage of its feature. I find it strange... almost stupid...
Unless they wanted to have to processor available for a lower price ; leaving the controller for those that wants more adjustability.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #130
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 184 Mic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura about

H-700 and RUX were sold separately as well.

from what Ive read, tuning on the 800 can be done with controller OR PC. So you dont NEED the rux for functionality.

also looking at the pics, it says DTS on it

2010 MECA Extreme World champion,
2005 IASCA World Champion Pro 600+
2010 MECA Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
2011 MECA SQL Spirit Award
2012 MECA SQL Judge of The Year
2012 IASCA FINALS SQ/INSTALL Judge
2012 USACi Japan Finals Judge
2013 IASCA FINALS IQC Install Judge
Mic10is is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #131
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 109 ekrunch will become famous soon enoughekrunch will become famous soon enoughekrunch will become famous soon enoughekrunch will become famous soon enoughekrunch will become famous soon enoughekrunch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Well, technically, you don't get all the features of the 700/701 without the controller, either. One being auto t/a. May be a couple other small settings as well, but that's one I can say for sure.
So, when we say that the 800 can't be used fully without the controller, just how fully are we saying?
Good point. I've never used that one I hadn't noticed. The W407's control of the 701 is excellent though. I really don't use my controller as more than a quick way to change presets these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwoofery View Post
The processor and its controller are sold separately yet the controller is needed to take full advantage of its feature. I find it strange... almost stupid...
Unless they wanted to have to processor available for a lower price ; leaving the controller for those that wants more adjustability.
You're probably right on the money. Maybe the PC software will let you set the curves you want and you can just change them with the head unit. That's another possibility. Maybe you don't need the controller if you use the PC? I think it's probably for those who want great sound but are happy with the IMPRINT curves and don't want to tweak things too much. Who knows?

Alpine INA-W910/PXA-H800/RUX-C800, JL HD1200 & HD600, Hertz HSK-165XL, Hertz HX300
MechMan Alternator, Racingline Grounding Kit, JL Wiring
My 2009 Nissan Maxima Build - Click Here
ekrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #132
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 184 Mic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura about

does noone read anymore???
From CAE review of new Alpine products...link has been posted a few times already above

•User Customization, which gives the user the option to customize the sound via manual or automatic settings – Using either the RUX-C800 controller (sold separately) or a PC with the included tuning software, manual, target curve and post process tuning can be made. The user can customize the sound traditionally by hand or automatically tune it to a desired response, while also allowing for full adjustment for fine tuning afterwards.

2010 MECA Extreme World champion,
2005 IASCA World Champion Pro 600+
2010 MECA Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
2011 MECA SQL Spirit Award
2012 MECA SQL Judge of The Year
2012 IASCA FINALS SQ/INSTALL Judge
2012 USACi Japan Finals Judge
2013 IASCA FINALS IQC Install Judge
Mic10is is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #133
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 305 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic10is View Post

from what Ive read, tuning on the 800 can be done with controller OR PC. So you dont NEED the rux for functionality.

also looking at the pics, it says DTS on it
Totally forgot that the RUX was sold separately from its processor as well.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #134
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 170 mikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura about

I think the confusion came from Jim's reply to Mic's question about non-Alpine HUs. Basically if you're using a factory HU or some other non-Alpine HU, you'll need the RUX to control volume. The only reason you'd use a laptop instead of the RUX (other than preference) is if you had an Alpine HU with Ai-Net to control the volume; otherwise, it appears the RUX is required, which isn't any different than the H700/701. It would be nice if the analog inputs from a factory HU could control the volume and just use the laptop to tune...

6to8 Aero---B&C DE120 w/ID minis---B&C 6MDN44---B&C 8MBX51---B&C 18DS115---Gladen xs75c6 (x2)---Gladen SPL1800c1
mikey7182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #135
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 Salad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My main issue with the 701 was the analog input section. The 701 sucked at that and Matt's normal mod doesn't address it. My problem has been that there was no head unit with optical out and full digital iPod control via USB (not the older analog implementations). I run a changer with my 701 via optical and the difference is night and day, but the iPod with all of my CDs ripped in 400kbps AAC is just too convenient to pass up on. Now with the new double DIN head unit coming out that has optical, a modded 701 might be a great choice, especially considering that it's not clear as to whether or not the 800 will do
You can pic up an older 160 gb Apple TV on eBay/craigslist for around $100-$125. It has optical out (700/701 has three optical in, and the 800 will have a pair of them), and with a component to composite video converter, a power inverter, and an aux in on a screen, you have 160 gigs of music and videos with 100% digital sound quality and a sick GUI/software to use/look at!! I've been really looking at this for a little while now. Hell, new Lilliput monitors have the option of HDMI in, so that would axe the coverter you'd be using on a DDIN aux video in. I'm going to be doing something along these lines in my truck.
Salad Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #136
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Actually, the PXA-H700 was sold as a combo. It was the PXA-H701 and RUX-C701 that were sold separately. But, since they're the same units, this is just me being silly.

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #137
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 Salad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not to nit pick or call you out or anything, but the H700/C700 was a package with them together in the same box. The H701/C701 were sold separately.
Old 01-09-2011   #138
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_olympios View Post
Actually, the PXA-H700 was sold as a combo. It was the PXA-H701 and RUX-C701 that were sold separately. But, since they're the same units, this is just me being silly.
You beat me by a few seconds!!
Old 01-09-2011   #139

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

I'm really liking the new INA. It's appears to have had the analog output section improved which would make it a higher quality volume controlled source that is great for the MS-8.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #140

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

And look at the bad ass dash kits they are coming out with.

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Last edited by t3sn4f2; 01-09-2011 at 03:20 PM..
Old 01-09-2011   #141

Bikinpunk

Rep Power: 26015 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

^ I'm interested in this as well... just not seeing anything other than the Camaro (and whatever you've posted).

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 01-09-2011   #142

Bikinpunk

anyone have access to the links toward the bottom right

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 01-09-2011   #143

Bikinpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by masswork View Post
Hey, that's cheap
So, who will be the first reviewer? Erin? Kyheng?
We'll see. I don't have any connections with anyone regarding Alpine so I'm sure I won't be getting one early enough to warrant putting up a review. I imagine by the time I get my hands on one, someone will have put one up. But, we'll see. Plus, I don't really have the disposable income I once had... babies are expensive!

If I can get one early enough, then I'll try to do a thorough review based on my experience with other DSPs and put it up here. I actually really enjoying doing reviews ...so, I'll see what I can do.

Time Delay Calculator:
Old 01-09-2011   #144
DIYMA 500 Club

Found this nice large image, thought others would appreciate it...

Old 01-09-2011   #145
DIYMA 500 Club

Whoever said that they hope it has a spectrum analyzer on it, I'm going to have to second that in a major way. I really adds to the awe of an amazing system to see those bars dancing up and down.
Old 01-09-2011   #146
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 140 ReloadedSS will become famous soon enoughReloadedSS will become famous soon enoughReloadedSS will become famous soon enoughReloadedSS will become famous soon enoughReloadedSS will become famous soon enoughReloadedSS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad Fingers View Post
Whoever said that they hope it has a spectrum analyzer on it, I'm going to have to second that in a major way. I really adds to the awe of an amazing system to see those bars dancing up and down.
Yup, I miss that on my long departed ERA-G320. Might be only for "cool" factor, but it's neato.
ReloadedSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #147

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
^ I'm interested in this as well... just not seeing anything other than the Camaro (and whatever you've posted).
Old 01-09-2011   #148

Rep Power: 0 bfb1963 will become famous soon enoughbfb1963 will become famous soon enoughbfb1963 will become famous soon enoughbfb1963 will become famous soon enoughbfb1963 will become famous soon enoughbfb1963 will become famous soon enough

I wonder how the optical in is handled. Is it selectable? Or like the 700 is it prioritized?

I run a HU and a carputer, but never could have them sending signal simultaneously to the 700 without it prioritizing to the HU signal in. I had to run an MJS optical switch instead.
bfb1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #149

Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfb1963 View Post
I wonder how the optical in is handled. Is it selectable? Or like the 700 is it prioritized?

I run a HU and a carputer, but never could have them sending signal simultaneously to the 700 without it prioritizing to the HU signal in. I had to run an MJS optical switch instead.
The remote has a source button on it.
Old 01-09-2011   #150
DIYMA 500 Club

Also, I think the lights to the right of the power light in the center of the unit put the question of DTS and DD to rest...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement