Alpine PXA-H800 Processor Discussion Thread - Page 7 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011   #151
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 Salad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enough

Default re: Alpine PXA-H800 Processor Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfb1963 View Post
I wonder how the optical in is handled. Is it selectable? Or like the 700 is it prioritized?

I run a HU and a carputer, but never could have them sending signal simultaneously to the 700 without it prioritizing to the HU signal in. I had to run an MJS optical switch instead.
As I remember, with the C700/C701 display you could select the input.
Salad Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011   #152
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 186 rexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond reputerexroadj has a reputation beyond repute

How the hell have I missed this thread? I have been an alpine hater for a long time now (since the fall of the F#1). I tried the 505/701/872/bt/dvd changer, etc.... and absolutely hated every part of it, except the cosmetics of the screen/ipod etc.. (to be fair I went straight the last f#1 to this setup, not a fair comparison in my estimation, and far away from my drz9255 setup before the f1). Am I the only one that see's a lot of similarity to the F#1 Processor? I am super excited about this! I might even break down and try the IVA-W910, unless they happen to figure out a way to charge an obscene amount for any additional accessorys and have to run power etc... to every one of them as well. Another thing I hated about them, it was just an unecessary PITA. I imagine this would be very hard to do considering everything is internal to the headunit! I am intrigued and interested in giving them another shot now....Would have never guessed I would see this day?
rexroadj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011   #153

Rep Power: 0 bfb1963 will become famous soon enoughbfb1963 will become famous soon enoughbfb1963 will become famous soon enoughbfb1963 will become famous soon enoughbfb1963 will become famous soon enoughbfb1963 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad Fingers View Post
As I remember, with the C700/C701 display you could select the input.
Never ran the remote, only the HU.
bfb1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011   #154
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 Hoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enough

It appears Alpine is not going to reveal the msrp of the INV-w910 until they blow out all of their 2010 w900BTs, which they currently have just discounted $150 now to $999. While the new w910 will likely be more, it probably won't be much more, even with all the built in stuff like SiriusXM and HD radio, and will likely be a far better value.

Q: Has it been determined if any/all of the older Alpine touchscreens with Ai-net and optical out will work with the H800? Even if they might work, if one wants bluetooth, XM/Sirius and/or HD radio then unless the new w910 is $1300+, the w910 might still be the best choice given all the older units require pricey add-ons. If they announce a $1200 or less price tag for the w910, there will be a lot of cheap alpine touchscreens and add-on gear for sale out there very soon.

Curious about a couple things with the w910... I think it was asked, but not sure I saw an answer... will the w910 optical be proprietary and cost $130 bux like with the w505, or will it be basic toslink?

Just looking at the following H800 features, alone, it would appear to me that the H700 and H701s are far less capable than the new unit by a long shot:

10 Band Parametric EQ On Front, Rear and Center channel (vs 5 on H701)

5 Band Parametric EQ For Subwoofer (vs 2 on H701)

36dB XO Slopes

Huge Signal-to-Noise Improvement 110 Digital / 105 Analog

Anyone have the signal-to-noise ratio figure handy on the 701? What were crossover slopes was the 701 capable of? It would seem the above improvements alone would justify buying the newer piece for *anyone* interested in an alpine processor.

Lastly, one question about the w910 - says it can run Pandora through an iPhone...think this is exclusive to the iPhone, and marketing agreements require Alpine to advertise only iPhone compatibility, or think a Blackberry or Android Pandora feed would work? Or maybe it is actually an apple software issue that allows only the iPhone to work?

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro * Pioneer P99 * Audison LRx5.k * HAT L6/L1 Pro R2 * Infinity Beta 12 (sealed enclosure)
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011   #155
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

The PXA-70X had 6/12/18/24/30 dB slopes on the crossover and a s/n ratio of 100dB (the manual doesn't mention a separate figure for analog/digital).

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011   #156
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 Hoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enough

Ok, so 6db greater slopes are possible with the H800 and 5-10db less noise than the h701.

On another note... from a Feb 6th Alpine press release: "It [the HC800] has 4V outputs and a new input architecture that allows for use of the car’s factory radio volume control while maintaining fidelity."

Okay, why wouldn't optical-out cd players like the Eclipse CD8053 (others?) now be able to take advantage of this "new input architecture?" Seems like someone asked about this but the question's answer seemed to suggest controlling volume from an non-Alpine head unit wasn't possible without excessive noise issues?

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro * Pioneer P99 * Audison LRx5.k * HAT L6/L1 Pro R2 * Infinity Beta 12 (sealed enclosure)
Old 01-10-2011   #157
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 133 Salad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Ok, so 6db greater slopes are possible with the H800 and 5-10db less noise than the h701.

On another note... from a Feb 6th Alpine press release: "It [the HC800] has 4V outputs and a new input architecture that allows for use of the car’s factory radio volume control while maintaining fidelity."

Okay, why wouldn't optical-out cd players like the Eclipse CD8053 (others?) now be able to take advantage of this "new input architecture?" Seems like someone asked about this but the question's answer seemed to suggest controlling volume from an non-Alpine head unit wasn't possible without excessive noise issues?
I've been wondering how volume wouldn't be dependent on input this entire time. Maybe you would need the display or W910 to control the H800 volume, but not volume in general. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but this is where my mind has been since the issue was brought up.

Also, CD8053 optical out? I don't remember that being the case. Maybe I'll have to crack open the new one I have at the house and take a look.
Old 01-10-2011   #158
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Seems like someone asked about this but the question's answer seemed to suggest controlling volume from an non-Alpine head unit wasn't possible without excessive noise issues?
With a digital signal but without an Ai-Net equipped Alpine unit, the only way to control the volume is via the RUX-C800 controller. If you want to feed the H800 with an analog signal (say from the stock HU), then you can probably use the HU's volume, but the processor's volume would have to be maxxed at all times; thus introducing more noise (probably).

All of this is guesswork, since all we've seen are photos and specs.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 01-10-2011   #159

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,141 Times in 544 Posts
Rep Power: 26019 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

^ I'd bet you're right.
I'd imagine it works the same as the h701 in this regard:
1) AI-net capable headunit connected = volume control with headunit (source)
2) Non AI-net headunit yields the following two scenarios:
a) Digital connection= volume control with controller
b) Analog connection= volume control with source

With analog (rca) input, on the h701, you could just set the c701 volume to whatever you want and then do the rest of the volume control from the headunit you used. Same story with most all other processors (bit1, ms8, etc).

However, I can't remember if you have to leave the c701 controller plugged into the h701 all the time or if you can just set the volume and then disconnect it. Seems like the latter is true. Just been a while since I've owned the setup.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011   #160
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 187 Mic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
^ I'd bet you're right.
I'd imagine it works the same as the h701 in this regard:
1) AI-net capable headunit connected = volume control with headunit (source)
2) Non AI-net headunit yields the following two scenarios:
a) Digital connection= volume control with controller
b) Analog connection= volume control with source

With analog (rca) input, on the h701, you could just set the c701 volume to whatever you want and then do the rest of the volume control from the headunit you used. Same story with most all other processors (bit1, ms8, etc).

However, I can't remember if you have to leave the c701 controller plugged into the h701 all the time or if you can just set the volume and then disconnect it. Seems like the latter is true. Just been a while since I've owned the setup.
from what I remember when I did it, you had to leave it connected.

also when using a non-ainet head unit w digital input, when you switched sources, you had to redo the inputs thru the RUX.
So when I ran my Denon w/ the H700, for CDs I'd have to go in and select digital. if I switched to XM I had to select analog...made for an annoying drive to Lousville that year

2010 MECA Extreme World champion,
2005 IASCA World Champion Pro 600+
2010 MECA Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
2011 MECA SQL Spirit Award
2012 MECA SQL Judge of The Year
2012 IASCA FINALS SQ/INSTALL Judge
2012 USACi Japan Finals Judge
2013 IASCA FINALS IQC Install Judge
Mic10is is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011   #161
DIYMA 500 Club

No, you don't have to have the controller connected in the H70X. It doesn't reset the volume when switched on/off, it remembers the last setting.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 01-10-2011   #162
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 189 BigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really niceBigRed is just really nice

keep in mind according to alpine, you will need the rux controller for full functionality regardless of deck with the H800 processor

Team Zapco
"once you go floor, you'll never go door"
"I can easily make the most expensive car stereo system sound like junk in less than 30 seconds"
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011   #163
DIYMA 500 Club

Correct.

... or a connection to a pc.

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 01-10-2011   #164

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,141 Times in 544 Posts
Rep Power: 26019 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
keep in mind according to alpine, you will need the rux controller for full functionality regardless of deck with the H800 processor
Right, but as was stated earlier, this is the same story for the h700/701. However, the only benefit is you get auto t/a. So, I think it depends on what you do/don't get with the controller that will determine if someone wants to buy it, too, or not.

Of course, it's really nice to have the controller (c701), regardless if you have an ai-net headunit or not. I'm sure this will be the same story.

Until we hear back from Alpine or get further specs... it's a guess.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011   #165
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 JDM_Ej will become famous soon enoughJDM_Ej will become famous soon enoughJDM_Ej will become famous soon enoughJDM_Ej will become famous soon enoughJDM_Ej will become famous soon enoughJDM_Ej will become famous soon enough

Send a message via AIM to JDM_Ej

Excited... can't wait to see full specs and a manual.
JDM_Ej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011   #166
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
kustom kar audio
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 129 kustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enough

Smile re: Alpine PXA-H800 Processor Discussion Thread

You also get full function from PC hook up, so if you have headunit you dont need the RUX. Bye the way H800 will also work with W505 for anybody that has one.
kustomkaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011   #167
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 173 mikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura about

Some good points have been made. It would be cool to keep the factory headunit and do an analog in to the processor, so long as the factory HU would allow me to keep volume control and everything from the HU. Then I could decide if I wanted to pick up the controller to tune on the go, or just stick with a PC tune. I could also do a separate IN from an iPod, etc. What would be REALLY cool is if manufacturers start allowing "PC tuning" to be done from an Android tablet, iPad, or other device. Then you can use the tablet as your only source with full control of the processor right from the dash. Stream Pandora, your iTunes, etc.

6to8 Aero---B&C DE120 w/ID minis---B&C 6MDN44---B&C 8MBX51---B&C 18DS115---Gladen xs75c6 (x2)---Gladen SPL1800c1
mikey7182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011   #168
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 121 pankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustomkaraudio View Post
You also get full function from PC hook up, so if you have headunit you dont need the RUX. Bye the way H800 will also work with W505 for anybody that has one.
FULL function = volume + sub + source control????

pankrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011   #169

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 252 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankrok View Post
FULL function = volume + sub + source control????
What benefit would that give?
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011   #170
DIYMA 500 Club

Let me translate Pankrok's question for you guys, since I was at his home the other day and we were discussing this.

"Will the W505 be able to control the volume, sub level and source selection on the H800, without the RUX controller?"

Nick
Now stripped out
Old 01-11-2011   #171
DIYMA 500 Club

KustomKarAudio is an Alpine dealer, I believe, so I'm thinking if he says the h800 works with the w505, then at least all basic features will work (minus perhaps auto-TA, like with the H701, as bikinpunk points out). I don't think anyone has identified anything other than auto-TA that having the RUX is required to perform. Is this right?

It also might be that when using an an older touchscreen HU, perhaps some of the newer H800 features won't be available without the RUX? RoadNoiseEQ, for example?

I have a question, as I've never used one of the touchscreen Alpines before (though, I would like to)... is the software that makes it possible to use an IVA or INA Alpine headunit with the H701 reside in the headunit, itself, or in the H701? Seems like it would likely be in the head unit. If this is so, then it would appear that the latest w910 would likely be the only HU to, by itself, be capable of controlling most, if not all, of the H800 features (particularly the newer ones like maybe even additional PEQ points)? Anyone want to take a guess at this given how the w200, w205 and w505 operate with the H701?

BTW, KustomKarAudio... your like-name shop here in Boulder appears to have bit the dust - tried to stop by the other day and could not find the place; again, I think it tanked. Did you, or any of your shop guys, go to CES?

Old 01-11-2011   #172
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
kustom kar audio
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 129 kustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enoughkustomkaraudio will become famous soon enough

Smile re: Alpine PXA-H800 Processor Discussion Thread

Yeah we were at CES , actually a great show and I turned 40 while in Vegas.. The features that are accesible from the headunit was limited intentionally. There is still a good amount of people that want a good sounding car, but don't want to tweak it, and a few retailers that don't want customers messing with the settings . You are correct, the software does reside in the deck to run the proc. The W505 was unique in the fact that it was last deck that will control the H701, and would also control the new little h100 proc . So it has the correct control software. So regardless of headunit you will need a RUX or PC hook up to access full function ( imprint , road eq, TA, and advanced crossover , and system configuration ) And yes the W505 will control volume balance, fade, sub level,and source, but remember those are sources that are input into the headunit ( aux in, sat radio, etc. ) BTW if any body wants to run the dvd changer (dha 690 ? ) snatch one up because they are discoed. Yeah I did not hear about the other Kustom Kar in boulder going out , sad , maybe a sign of the times.
kustomkaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011   #173
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 121 pankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enough

any idea of what pc will be abel to control over the h800?
only settings or also volume/sub/presets?
in other words could a carpc be used as the headunit without the need of RUX or should we try out this solution?

pankrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011   #174
DIYMA 500 Club

^^^Hey pankrok, I see you have a CX-7, any interest in some a pillars that are built to house a Hybrid L3 and L1 tweet in them? They are just sitting in a box in my garage and I'd like to get them out of the way and recoupe some of the funds spent on them. Sorry to be off topic.
Old 01-11-2011   #175
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 114 dh8009 will become famous soon enoughdh8009 will become famous soon enoughdh8009 will become famous soon enoughdh8009 will become famous soon enoughdh8009 will become famous soon enoughdh8009 will become famous soon enough

I was at a shop new years weekend and was told that optical out of the 910 would send iPod signal into the h800. Does anyone know if this is true? I thought I had read that some head units only send CD audio through optical. Dont know if that research is correct though. I'm a newbie and sometime all this information is a bit overwhelming.
dh8009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement