Alpine PXA-H800 Processor Discussion Thread - Page 8 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011   #176
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 121 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Default re: Alpine PXA-H800 Processor Discussion Thread

iPod audio is sent via Optical to the DACs in the H800. I'm checking to see if HD Radio would be as well ... not that it matters as much, but it'd be neat if it did.

Jim
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011   #177
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Hi Jim, thanks for your input. While you're at it, could you please ask the same (iPod signal through digital) about the W505+H701? I know it's not supposed to, but it'd be good to hear it from an Alpine representative.

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011   #178
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 121 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

I'm going to guess no on that, but I'll confirm as well.

Jim

Old 01-11-2011   #179
DIYMA 500 Club

Human (not a robot)

Rep Power: 165 Notloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really niceNotloudenuf is just really nice

How easily will this new processor interface with my 9887? I'd love to be able to add this on without a lot of heartburn.

NCSQ
Notloudenuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011   #180
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 119 Hertz5400LincolnLS will become famous soon enoughHertz5400LincolnLS will become famous soon enoughHertz5400LincolnLS will become famous soon enoughHertz5400LincolnLS will become famous soon enoughHertz5400LincolnLS will become famous soon enoughHertz5400LincolnLS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notloudenuf View Post
How easily will this new processor interface with my 9887? I'd love to be able to add this on without a lot of heartburn.
From what I've read, the 9887 won't control the succesor to the H701.
Hertz5400LincolnLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #181
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 202 kyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the roughkyheng is a jewel in the rough

With a processor that accepts digital input, I'll search for good transport HUs which supporting bus inputs for add ons... Have to know that, those HUs with good transport won't support iPod, USB......

kyheng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #182
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 121 pankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad Fingers View Post
^^^Hey pankrok, I see you have a CX-7, any interest in some a pillars that are built to house a Hybrid L3 and L1 tweet in them? They are just sitting in a box in my garage and I'd like to get them out of the way and recoupe some of the funds spent on them. Sorry to be off topic.
[offtopic mode] thanks mate but a-pillars is the last thing I am in need now! [/offtopic mode]

pankrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #183
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 Hoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enough

Jim, that is fantastic news about the DAC from the H800 being used for iPod playback (astounding, really). Looking forward to hear if this is true for the H701, as well, and for playback of HD radio on the w910. Jim, can you clarify what the w910 + H800 will not be able to do without the RUX controller?

And so, with regard to the optical out, if HD radio gets to use the H800 dac, but perhaps no to ipod dac bypass using the w505/h701, I would really have a hard time justifying a purchase of the older gear, even it it meant saving a lot of money. The new system already seems quite a step up over the old system in so many ways, and getting to use the H800 DAC for all digital sources would be the topper, even if I had to buy the $250 RUX. Ultimately, despite that the newer system would be soooo much more money (prolly $2000 msrp for all 3 new pieces versus maybe $800-$900 or so for the w505/c701/h701), we're talking a quantum leap, here - doesn't everyone agree?

Jim, if HD radio playback means get to use the Wolfson DACs in the H800, would this be true for Satellite radio, as well? Thanks for poppin' in.

KustomKarAudio, happy 40th!

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro * Pioneer P99 * Audison LRx5.k * HAT L6/L1 Pro R2 * Infinity Beta 12 (sealed enclosure)

Last edited by Hoot; 01-12-2011 at 10:26 AM..
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #184
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 144 Hoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enoughHoot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage_Man View Post
The question I have now is will this sound better than my Matt Roberts modified 701? It obviously has more tweakability but will that trumph Matt's magic?
What improvement do you hear in your h701's mod? Here's what you know the H800 is going to give you:
  • More tuning ability - 10 vs 5 bands of parametric eq in main channels and 5 vs 2 bands of parametric eq in sub channel.
  • The ability to slope your crossover at 36db max vs 30db max
  • 5-10db higher signal-to-noise ratio depending on your source
Do these benefits trump your modded H701? Are there even other benefits offered by the H800? Not sure on the latter question, and only a side-by-side with your h701 might give your your answer, but seems like even a modded H701 would be hard-pressed to best the advantages the new H800 seems to offer.

2001 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro * Pioneer P99 * Audison LRx5.k * HAT L6/L1 Pro R2 * Infinity Beta 12 (sealed enclosure)
Old 01-12-2011   #185
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Keeping the iPod straight digital all the way to the DAC was a big push for us with this guy, we're definitely happy with it.

No answer from Japan yet on the H701 doing it, but I'm pretty certain it doesn't. I just want the final answer for you.

The H800 is 100% functional on its own, without the RUX ... however, you'll need to use a PC to tune it. Once tuned, via manual or automatic over the PC, you can save up to 6 preset tunes. Once you disconnect from the PC, the presets are saved in the H800 and the W910 will be able to adjust:
1) Presets - need to be saved from the PC Software
2) Balance/Fader - pressing the "speaker" soft button on the Audio screen of the W910 will bring you to the balance fade screen
3) Sub Level

That's it without the RUX. The real intention (and it won't ring true with most here as we are crazy tweakophiles) was to give the installer/shop the ability to tune the car, set the various presets and give the customer the control he needs without the ability to change the tune, so doesn't come back and say "I didn't touch anything but my tweeters are blown...and the shop[or mfg] is stuck with the bill" or something along those lines when you give them too much control of everything.

To answer a few of the volume-related questions. We've done our best on this guy to REALLY clean up the analog side of things. The ideal situation is to run a RUX when using RCA (hi or low level) in, but the input stage will take 0.1 to 10V, so you could easily use your factory or AFT HU volume to control things. If you feel the sound is noisy (it won't be), go ahead and grab a RUX and flush it in somewhere if you're feeling crafty, but 99% of installs will not need it.

Adding the RUX gives you all the control you all know and want, so it's worth the expense really ... just to be able to tweak with things It really depends on your install and your OCD level.

Jim
Old 01-12-2011   #186
DIYMA 500 Club

Jim, for someone who has never tuned with a PC, do just bring your laptop inside the car and tune with the software and a mic? You then perhaps load the settings via USB, or a memory card?

Also, is the new RUX controller smaller than a single DIN and thus could be placed many different places? Maybe even above or below a double-din should space allow? It has very little physical depth to it, correct?

Two other questions, if I may:
  1. Will any of the new 2011 Alpine single-din CD or media players have optical out and be able to work with the RUX/H800 combo?
  2. Will only the iPhone control Pandora from the w910, or other new Alpine Pandora-cable units, or will one be able to stream Pandora from an Android or Blackberry device, as well?
Thanks so much, again....

Old 01-12-2011   #187
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 173 mikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura aboutmikey7182 has a spectacular aura about

Great answers from Jim! I too am curious about the Pandora functionality as I have a DroidX. I have been holding off on switching over to the iPhone, but now that Verizon has picked it up, I may make the switch unless more manufacturers start offering Android support as well.

6to8 Aero---B&C DE120 w/ID minis---B&C 6MDN44---B&C 8MBX51---B&C 18DS115---Gladen xs75c6 (x2)---Gladen SPL1800c1
mikey7182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #188
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
BMW
Position:
Greasemonkey

Rep Power: 138 Rexrode will become famous soon enoughRexrode will become famous soon enoughRexrode will become famous soon enoughRexrode will become famous soon enoughRexrode will become famous soon enoughRexrode will become famous soon enough

Hoot, good thing you waited huh?
Rexrode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #189

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 252 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Is Pandora streamed over Bluetoof, USB, or lineout on Alpine compatible head units?

If it's anything but USB then I would not worry about how it leaves the W910. Not that it's gonna sound bad, but bluetoof compression and the added DA/AD of line out is going to ruin the ideology of digital out to the processor.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #190
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 147 n_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enoughn_olympios will become famous soon enough

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to be more relevant (now that we have a name for it).

I don't know about you guys, but I'm very glad we now have an Alpine rep available on the forum.

Perhaps JBL's Andy Wehmeyer was a good influence? Let's hope other companies join in as well.

Jim, thanks once more for the input!

Nick
oısɹǝʌǝɹ :ɐʇɐqoɹd snʇɹıʌ
Now stripped out
n_olympios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #191
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexrode View Post
Hoot, good thing you waited huh?
Perhaps, Rex, you are right; however... we still need to see what the w910 is going to sell for first, right?

With the w910 having built-in functionality of Bluetooth, Nav, HD radio, Satellite and Pandora (I think it has all of that built-in, or at least it has much of that built in), not to mention the built in crossovers, eq and time alignment for guys wanting an in-between prior to being able to afford the H800, the w910 still might command a hefty price.

If the w910 msrp is steep, then perhaps the w505/h701 might be a better in-between alternative for someone like myself.

Old 01-12-2011   #192
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 121 pankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enoughpankrok will become famous soon enough

great input Jim!
how come not 24/96? is it too early for alpine to "follow" audison?
and I guess not a chance for using usb as audio input to the unit (carpc issue again!)

pankrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #193
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 308 subwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond reputesubwoofery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankrok View Post
great input Jim!
how come not 24/96? is it too early for alpine to "follow" audison?
and I guess not a chance for using usb as audio input to the unit (carpc issue again!)
Feel it's not really polite to say things like "why didn't you do like ...(brand name)..."

Jim is kind enough to hang around and give inputs about his opinions and about what he knows.
Don't take it personally, other posters did/do that as well. Just saying...

Again thanks Jim for being part of the forum.

Kelvin

Lycan
Quote:
I'll repeat it for the miliionth time : All amps do NOT sound the same ... It's astonishing to me that nobody understands this
Who knows, some might understand now
and here's another one and another <-- click on the links
subwoofery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #194
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Jim, for someone who has never tuned with a PC, do just bring your laptop inside the car and tune with the software and a mic? You then perhaps load the settings via USB, or a memory card?

Also, is the new RUX controller smaller than a single DIN and thus could be placed many different places? Maybe even above or below a double-din should space allow? It has very little physical depth to it, correct?

Two other questions, if I may:
  1. Will any of the new 2011 Alpine single-din CD or media players have optical out and be able to work with the RUX/H800 combo?
  2. Will only the iPhone control Pandora from the w910, or other new Alpine Pandora-cable units, or will one be able to stream Pandora from an Android or Blackberry device, as well?
Thanks so much, again....
If you are doing ImprintEQ, it will tell you where to place the mic, you'll place the mic and then exit the car while it chirps, beeps and tunes itself to happiness .

Manual tune, you'll adjust the parameters on the screen and then listen to it on the fly.

The RUX is 16mm x 161mm x 40mm and will come with a "flush cup" that will allow you to either flush or mold it in, as well as surface mount if you want.

No Optical out in the line for 2011 outside of the W910.

The W910 does not do A2DP streaming, so it will not stream BT from Android or RIM. You'd need do run an AUX-In line to the processor (or HU) to get the audio in via RCAs. Any of our other HU's with a KCA-400BT attached will stream over BT from either of those platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey7182 View Post
Great answers from Jim! I too am curious about the Pandora functionality as I have a DroidX. I have been holding off on switching over to the iPhone, but now that Verizon has picked it up, I may make the switch unless more manufacturers start offering Android support as well.
For Music and Internet Radio, there is nothing better for you than the iphone ... I begrudgingly switched after two years of being a Droid and BB lover....it's just easier. As a phone, thats a topic for a different day, but now that Verizon has it .. its gonna pretty hard to look away from for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
Is Pandora streamed over Bluetoof, USB, or lineout on Alpine compatible head units?

If it's anything but USB then I would not worry about how it leaves the W910. Not that it's gonna sound bad, but bluetoof compression and the added DA/AD of line out is going to ruin the ideology of digital out to the processor.
Over USB, I know for a fact that we run digital out of the iPhone to the DACs of our HU's ... I'd imagine it'd pass to the DACs in the H800, but like HD Radio .. I'm waiting on the final, final answer about where the D->A takes place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_olympios View Post
Perhaps the thread title should be changed to be more relevant (now that we have a name for it).

I don't know about you guys, but I'm very glad we now have an Alpine rep available on the forum.

Perhaps JBL's Andy Wehmeyer was a good influence? Let's hope other companies join in as well.

Jim, thanks once more for the input!
You're all welcome. I'm happy to be here as I'm a DIYer from the start, much like a lot of us in this industry. I'm not tech support, so I can't answer random complaints and stuff, but tweako stuff like this is right up my alley
Old 01-12-2011   #195
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 BamaJohn will become famous soon enoughBamaJohn will become famous soon enoughBamaJohn will become famous soon enoughBamaJohn will become famous soon enoughBamaJohn will become famous soon enoughBamaJohn will become famous soon enough

Subscribed.

Excellent thread. Thank you, Jim Walter, for your input to this forum and the extraordinary access to the engineering and design behind the scenes! I may not be able to make use of it all immediately, but I *love* reading up on it. I've been waiting for a good integrated head unit / processor solution to come along...one that works well with my iPhone 4. Integrating the "easy mode" of the Imprint process with manual tweakability is exactly what I've been hoping for. One question: can you expand on the options for time alignment that are available in the H800?
BamaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #196

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,141 Times in 544 Posts
Rep Power: 26019 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Jim, not sure if you saw this list of questions or not, so I'm quoting myself.
I also sent you a PM with a couple questions. I know you're busy, so if you don't have time to answer, I understand.

Thanks again for your input to this thread.

- Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Jim, thanks for dropping in.
I have a couple questions as well:
  1. Will the 800 also have graphic eq? If so, can it be used in conjunction with the parametric or will you have to choose one like the 701?
  2. Are the crossover points 1/3 octave or something else? You mentioned pc setup...do we have the luxury to manually type in desired crossover points?
  3. With the parametric, what is the bandwidth (q) adjustable from?

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #197
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 153 Salami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Will the 800 also have graphic eq? If so, can it be used in conjunction with the parametric or will you have to choose one like the 701?

Ahem.

165 band graphic EQ or 55 band parametric. Info is on the data card in the picture posted.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #198
Upgrade Your Membership!

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 187 Mic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura aboutMic10is has a spectacular aura about

31 band on 5 outputs? Front, rear and Center? 10 on Sub?

2010 MECA Extreme World champion,
2005 IASCA World Champion Pro 600+
2010 MECA Mike Baylor Sportsmanship Award
2011 MECA SQL Spirit Award
2012 MECA SQL Judge of The Year
2012 IASCA FINALS SQ/INSTALL Judge
2012 USACi Japan Finals Judge
2013 IASCA FINALS IQC Install Judge
Mic10is is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #199

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,141 Times in 544 Posts
Rep Power: 26019 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami View Post
Ahem.

165 band graphic EQ or 55 band parametric. Info is on the data card in the picture posted.
Then go to 2nd part of same question.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #200
DIYMA 500 Club
Upgrade Your Membership!

Rep Power: 153 Salami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished roadSalami is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Then go to 2nd part of same question.
And go to part one of my response.

There is this tiny word: or

This normally means one or the other but not both.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement