Alpine PXA-H800 Processor Discussion Thread - Page 9 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011   #201
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 Salad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enough

Default re: Alpine PXA-H800 Processor Discussion Thread

Digital out on iPod and CD/DVD (possibly HD) with the W910, so then it will send these sources out to anything, not just the H800? Right? So if I used a W910 to a Bit One, and used the new Audison Voce amps when they are released, then I could have digital all the way to the amps?
Salad Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011   #202
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 119 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Jim, not sure if you saw this list of questions or not, so I'm quoting myself.
I also sent you a PM with a couple questions. I know you're busy, so if you don't have time to answer, I understand.

Thanks again for your input to this thread.

- Erin
I got your PM while at CES on Tapatalk .. I'll go back to it now that I'm on a real computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJohn View Post
Subscribed.

Excellent thread. Thank you, Jim Walter, for your input to this forum and the extraordinary access to the engineering and design behind the scenes! I may not be able to make use of it all immediately, but I *love* reading up on it. I've been waiting for a good integrated head unit / processor solution to come along...one that works well with my iPhone 4. Integrating the "easy mode" of the Imprint process with manual tweakability is exactly what I've been hoping for. One question: can you expand on the options for time alignment that are available in the H800?
You're welcome Time alignment is 0 to 20ms in 0.05ms steps for all 8CH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic10is View Post
31 band on 5 outputs? Front, rear and Center? 10 on Sub?
Correct. In 8CH 4-way mode, it would be 31Graphic (10Parametric) x6 and 10Graphic (5Parametic) x2 .. I'm pretty sure. I'll have to jump in the car and check tonight.

It is Graphic or Parametric EQ, not both.
jim walter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #203
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Rep Power: 119 jim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enoughjim walter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad Fingers View Post
Digital out on iPod and CD/DVD (possibly HD) with the W910, so then it will send these sources out to anything, not just the H800? Right? So if I used a W910 to a Bit One, and used the new Audison Voce amps when they are released, then I could have digital all the way to the amps?
Without actually testing it with those specific products, I'm not going to sign that one in blood .. but yes, that's the plan.

Old 01-12-2011   #204
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 131 Salad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enoughSalad Fingers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim walter View Post
I'll have to jump in the car and check tonight.
Anyone else catch that? This bastard has one in his car!!! Haha, hey I guess I should thank you as well. I'm curious, and I may have missed this, but what is your position there at Alpine? I really want the shop I work at to become a dealer again, but the rep for our area SUCKS and the people at the CES booth apparently weren't too interested in pursuing my boss' business. Question, since you have it in your car, does the RUX have a spectrum analyzer on it like the C700/C701 did? Is it any different looking if so? Thanks again, and I really hope we are a dealer this year!
Old 01-12-2011   #205
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Without actually testing it with those specific products, I'm not going to sign that one in blood .. but yes, that's the plan.
Old 01-12-2011   #206
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad Fingers View Post
Anyone else catch that? This bastard has one in his car!!! Haha, hey I guess I should thank you as well. I'm curious, and I may have missed this, but what is your position there at Alpine? I really want the shop I work at to become a dealer again, but the rep for our area SUCKS and the people at the CES booth apparently weren't too interested in pursuing my boss' business. Question, since you have it in your car, does the RUX have a spectrum analyzer on it like the C700/C701 did? Is it any different looking if so? Thanks again, and I really hope we are a dealer this year!
Lucky me ... its a very early unit ... so a lot of functionality is bassackwards on it, but it gets the job done for now. I'm not seeing any notes for "graphics" in the Owner's Manual, so I'm going to guess it won't be in there. I'm a geek for the EQ or the VU meters as well

I'm in Product Planning at Alpine in the Audio / Sound System Business group. I did the M2000 2kW amp, KTP-445 miniamp, some Bluetooth stuff etc but my two things of merit lately were the new Thin subs and the 2010 Type R re-design.

Sorry your rep isn't doing it for you.. if you want, I can put you in touch with a regional manager in the area you could talk to about it? Keep names out of the thread please, just PM's in necessary.
Old 01-12-2011   #207
DIYMA 500 Club

Quote:
Keep names out of the thread please, just PM's in necessary.
Half the name was typed, and then I realized it wouldn't be cool to throw someone under the bus like that and decided to be vague. I'll PM you, and we'll see what we can do. Thanks again for the help here!
Old 01-12-2011   #208
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
TC Audio
Position:
Janitor

Rep Power: 126 jkrob21 will become famous soon enoughjkrob21 will become famous soon enoughjkrob21 will become famous soon enoughjkrob21 will become famous soon enoughjkrob21 will become famous soon enoughjkrob21 will become famous soon enough

Good info coming from Jim here. I too am a dealer that has recently been selling other gear over Alpine for the last year. Price point vs feature has made Alpine a hard sell. But with the new goods, a great processor and a DD HU with several nice features built in I'd say Alpine is back in the game. Provided the new units work as stated.

A DD HU with built in NAV, IPOD/IPHONE, BT, HD RADIO, plus digital out or 4 volt out, plus some processing built in is a nice addition to the Alpine family IMO. I love that Alpine finally decided that a nice processor is not a dead art. It's a shame it took Audison, JBL, and others to prove that we still want more control over our sound.
jkrob21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #209
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 vidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enough

any plans for a single din hu similiar to that of the dd?
im guessin 2012?

////Alpine, Morel Elate 6 3way, Tempo 6coaxials, Ultimo 12, Zed Audio Amplifiers
vidizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #210
DIYMA 500 Club

Not much, but more than we've had yet @ :45

YouTube - 2011 CES Alpine Demo Car (Short Clip)
Old 01-12-2011   #211
DIYMA 500 Club

Oh yea Jim, another question that has been lost in all of the excitement... Can two of the H800's be tied together like the H990's did? If so, with a single RUX? This would be ultimate tits...
Old 01-12-2011   #212
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 St. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enough

Hoot - you could run the digital out of an Eclipse (IIRC several of the Commander-capable units had coax digital out, so you'd need to convert to optical) into the 'H800 or any other DSP with digital in, but you'll always need an external volume control. The digital out is a "fixed" output- basically what is on the disc. Eclipse didn't put a digital volume control on their pieces.
The only way I know of off of the top of my head to get a variable digital out- so you can use the headunit's volume but feed all sources digitally into whatever digital processor you want - in the car world is to put the Mobridge DA1000 on a compatible MOST car and feed that to the processor of your choice. Otherwise, with a digital in, you either have to go with a package where the head sends commands to the volume control inside the processor through a data bus (such as AiNet) or else use the volume control that the processor provides.
Even in your example of running digital into a Bit One and out to a Thesis (or Voce; or for that matter any digital source other than from a DA1000), you have to control volume ect through the DRC via the AC link cable.

And no, unfortunately, I can confirm that the 'W500 does NOT feed a digital out from the iPod/USB interface.
St. Dark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2011   #213
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 365 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jim,

I'm really stoked that you're here to represent Alpine on the forum! Thanks for all the awesome information you've supplied. Like everyone else, I have a few questions as well.

1. Is the calibration microphone included with the PXA-H800, sold separately, or does it come only with the purchase of the RUX-C800?

2. Does the calibration microphone plug directly into the H800 processor brain, or only into the RUX-C800 controller just like the H700/C701?

3. What does the calibration microphone plug into when using a PC to do the Auto-Tune?

4. Will there be tuning/control software available for Apple/MacOS computers? Will Windows 7 be supported?

5. Regarding digital files from a USB-connected iPhone/iPod/iPad, does the INA-W910 head unit and/or H800 processor read the raw digital files directly from the internal hard drive or flash memory as a USB Mass Storage Device, completely bypassing any DAC or processing within the i-device? IOW, does it access the audio files just as if a USB thumb drive or hard drive were attached?

6. If so, are all audio files and formats (both compressed MP3s AND Apple Lossless files) handled in the same way...e.g.All Digital/Analog Conversion & Processing happens only within the W910 or H800?

7. Are any Lossless Audio file formats such as FLAC or Apple Lossless supported through a connected USB thumb drive or portable HDD?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but enquiring minds want to know, LOL!

TIA!

Last edited by bbfoto; 01-12-2011 at 11:53 PM..
bbfoto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011   #214
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 142 St. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enoughSt. Dark will become famous soon enough

All of the USB-based Alpines pull digital directly from whatever is plugged into them (iPod, thumb drive, et cetera).

All of the ones I've played with handle Apple Lossless (including the 'W505 and 'W900, so we should be good!). And Jim previously mentioned that (unlike it's predecessors...grrr!) the new one WILL pipe the feed from the USB through the digital out!

The other questions...I'd suspect the mic plugs into the processor, as that seems always the case...the rest, I await answers as eagerly as you!
Old 01-13-2011   #215

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfoto View Post
5. Regarding digital files from a USB-connected iPhone/iPod/iPad, does the INA-W910 head unit and/or H800 processor read the raw digital files directly from the internal hard drive or flash memory as a USB Mass Storage Device, completely bypassing any DAC or processing within the i-device? IOW, does it access the audio files just as if a USB thumb drive or hard drive were attached?

6. If so, are all audio files and formats (both compressed MP3s AND Apple Lossless files) handled in the same way...e.g.All Digital/Analog Conversion & Processing happens only within the W910 or H800?
Not Jim but

5. It does not matter. A digital bit stream from a file or a digital bit stream from a decoded file from the codec is still going to go out of the head unit without processing. IOW the iDevice does not processes the decoded file in any way and the stream would be identical to the digital stream that would come out a head unit codec if it were to do the file decoding.

6. There is no other way of sending audio out a digital only serial port (ie USB). And since the only hardware interface between the iDevice and the head unit is a USB plug, then it can't be any other way.

All this only being true if you disable any EQ setting in the iDevice since that is a form of digital processing that will probably still be active in these type of interfaces.

Last edited by t3sn4f2; 01-13-2011 at 11:54 AM..
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011   #216
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Hey Jim,

I'm really stoked that you're here to represent Alpine on the forum! Thanks for all the awesome information you've supplied. Like everyone else, I have a few questions as well.

1. Is the calibration microphone included with the PXA-H800, sold separately, or does it come only with the purchase of the RUX-C800?

2. Does the calibration microphone plug directly into the H800 processor brain, or only into the RUX-C800 controller just like the H700/C701?

3. What does the calibration microphone plug into when using a PC to do the Auto-Tune?

4. Will there be tuning/control software available for Apple/MacOS computers? Will Windows 7 be supported?

7. Are any Lossless Audio file formats such as FLAC or Apple Lossless supported through a connected USB thumb drive or portable HDD?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but enquiring minds want to know, LOL!

TIA!
The Mic comes with the H800 and plugs into the H800 itself, you do not need a RUX to ImprintEQ, AutoTCR or RoadEQ the system (but you can use it if you don't want to use the PC).

Windows 7 is supported, Mac OS is not.

No FLAC, OGG or any of the other niche formats ... we tried, trust me. I think the rest of your questions were answered below by others.
Old 01-13-2011   #217
DIYMA 500 Club

Jim-
someone asked this, but I missed if you said:

can you run a pair of them, like with the 'H990s?
Old 01-13-2011   #218
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
Alpine Electronics
Position:
Sound System Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Dark View Post
Jim-
someone asked this, but I missed if you said:

can you run a pair of them, like with the 'H990s?
No, you can not run a pair of them in series like F#1. You could run a set of them separate, but you'd have to control the volume/input via RCA or SPK level input, not via the RUX as it can only attach to one. Steve and I were thinking of how to do this as well (for something really silly) and that's about all we've come up with. We'll keep brainstorming for a way to get some kind of AINET control of them with Optical in ... but I kinda doubt it.

Since the analog side is actually really, really clean this time around .. you could still pull it off in an SQ setup, especially if you've got a deck/soundcard with a really good DAC to feed it with.
Old 01-13-2011   #219
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 139 vidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enoughvidizzle will become famous soon enough

any plans for single din unit to work with the h800?

////Alpine, Morel Elate 6 3way, Tempo 6coaxials, Ultimo 12, Zed Audio Amplifiers
vidizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011   #220
DIYMA 500 Club

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 365 bbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond reputebbfoto has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for the answers to my all of my long-winded questions!

I was curious about the USB connection because some USB iPod docks just take the Analog Line Out from the iDevice through the 31-pin dock connector.

USB connectors have 5 contacts (the outer metal plug casing and 4 internal contacts). Two contacts for +&- 5 volt power, and Three contacts for analog audio signal just like headphones...1 common (-) and 1 of each for L & R (+).

Or am I wrong? Wouldn't be the first time, LOL.
bbfoto is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011   #221
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 177 evo9 will become famous soon enoughevo9 will become famous soon enoughevo9 will become famous soon enoughevo9 will become famous soon enoughevo9 will become famous soon enoughevo9 will become famous soon enoughevo9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Lucky me ... its a very early unit ... so a lot of functionality is bassackwards on it, but it gets the job done for now. I'm not seeing any notes for "graphics" in the Owner's Manual, so I'm going to guess it won't be in there. I'm a geek for the EQ or the VU meters as well

I'm in Product Planning at Alpine in the Audio / Sound System Business group. I did the M2000 2kW amp, KTP-445 miniamp, some Bluetooth stuff etc but my two things of merit lately were the new Thin subs and the 2010 Type R re-design.

Sorry your rep isn't doing it for you.. if you want, I can put you in touch with a regional manager in the area you could talk to about it? Keep names out of the thread please, just PM's in necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidizzle View Post

any plans for a single din hu similiar to that of the dd?
im guessin 2012?

any plans for single din unit to work with the h800?

Jim, with that said............ Why did the North American market not get a verison of the IVA-D511R? Alpine*-*Mobile Media Stations*-*IVA-D511R. Some of us could really use a good single din with a sub-display.

Rocking the ELS system in my Tech Package Acura

Last edited by evo9; 01-14-2011 at 01:54 AM..
evo9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011   #222

Enthusiast

Rep Power: 0 t3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to allt3sn4f2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the answers to my all of my long-winded questions!

I was curious about the USB connection because some USB iPod docks just take the Analog Line Out from the iDevice through the 31-pin dock connector.

USB connectors have 5 contacts (the outer metal plug casing and 4 internal contacts). Two contacts for +&- 5 volt power, and Three contacts for analog audio signal just like headphones...1 common (-) and 1 of each for L & R (+).

Or am I wrong? Wouldn't be the first time, LOL.
Nope, imposible.

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If a "USB" plug is somewhere inline between the iDevice and the headunit and IT IS THE ONLY plug that connects those two devices, then there is no way the audio interface can be analog since there are no pins to carry that type of signal (as can be seen in the pin diagrams in the link above).

If the inteface is something like Alpine Fullspeed where there is something other then a USB plug (ie the minidin plug on the headunit). Which are used for analog line out PLUS some type of data inteface to control the iDevice and display information about the music on the head unit display.
t3sn4f2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011   #223

Bikinpunk

Thanked 1,017 Times in 479 Posts
Rep Power: 26015 ErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond reputeErinH has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to ErinH

Jim, a couple questions that seem to get buried in this thread:
  1. Are the crossover points 1/3 octave or something else? You mentioned pc setup...do we have the luxury to manually type in desired crossover points?
  2. With the parametric, what is the bandwidth (q) adjustable from?
  3. Are the crossovers L-R, BW, or none of the above?
  4. Do you guys employ the use of shelf filtering in this new processor?
  5. When a crossover is not used does it act as an all pass filter sans phase shift?
  6. You've mentioned the T/A increments are 0.05ms. Is that hardcoded to the software already? Is it at all possible to make the adjustments in smaller scale (ie: 0.02ms)? The reason I ask, is because some units I've used allow for more fine tuning here and I've found it to be quite useful.

Hope I haven't driven you nuts with the above. I'm sure I can think of more, but I'll shuttup for now.

Time Delay Calculator:
http://tracerite.com/calc.html

Last edited by ErinH; 01-14-2011 at 10:01 AM..
ErinH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #224

Rep Power: 0 Thrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enoughThrill_House will become famous soon enough

Heres another question for you, will my DVA-9861 be compatable with it, meaning will it funtion in much the same way it does now when hooked up to the h701, ie CD/DVD audio going over the toslink and all other audio sources such as IPOD/Tuner/CD changer be sent over the ainet and also will I still be able to control balance/fade/subwoofer control from the headunit?
Thrill_House is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2011   #225
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 106 CLK63DK will become famous soon enoughCLK63DK will become famous soon enoughCLK63DK will become famous soon enoughCLK63DK will become famous soon enoughCLK63DK will become famous soon enoughCLK63DK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Dark View Post
... - in the car world is to put the Mobridge DA1000 on a compatible MOST car and feed that to the processor of your choice. Otherwise, with a digital in, you either have to go with a package where the head sends commands to the volume control inside the processor through a data bus (such as AiNet) or else use the volume control that the processor provides.
Even in your example of running digital into a Bit One and out to a Thesis (or Voce; or for that matter any digital source other than from a DA1000), you have to control volume ect through the DRC via the AC link cable.
Especially this is very interesting in todays cars!! MoBridge states that the DA1000 only works with the Bit1, but as there are this Alpine, the RF and other new Processors on the way, it would be very very nice to get some alternatives to the Bit1!!
CLK63DK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement