WAV-playing USB head unit you like the sound of? - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011   #1
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 0 seldomseenkid will become famous soon enoughseldomseenkid will become famous soon enoughseldomseenkid will become famous soon enoughseldomseenkid will become famous soon enoughseldomseenkid will become famous soon enoughseldomseenkid will become famous soon enough

Default WAV-playing USB head unit you like the sound of?

I'm looking for a head unit that plays WAV (not just MP3) from a USB stick (not an iPod) that might sound as good as my old Nakamichi CD-45z CD player.

To explain, I installed a JVC KD-R816 (up the top of their line), lived with it for a while but never liked the sound of it. Switched the old Nakamichi back in yesterday and sure enough, there was the sound I was missing. Musicality, soul - the things the JVC seemed to have sucked right out of the music. At this point I'm ready to sacrifice the convenience of USB and go back to the Naka. Bummer.

The rest of the system is an a/d/s/ PQ40.2 amp, Boston Acoustics RC620 speakers and an a/d/s/ sub.

I realise I could go outboard DAC etc but I'm not really looking to go to those lengths - just a good HU.

Your good experiences appreciated.
seldomseenkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011   #2
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
tpa
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 148 tnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished road

Default Re: WAV-playing USB head unit you like the sound of?

try kenwood..

MY FARTS SOUND BETTER THAN YOUR SUB!
tnbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011   #3
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 111 arw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enougharw01 will become famous soon enough

I haven't found a working USB stick in the house to try it with my Kenwood KDC-X994 yet. They all seem to have corrupted themselves over the years and will not take a format command.

Shuold I come across one, I will give the FLAC and the WAV files a test. My issue with the USB on the Kenwood though above that is it's not a random all capable play mechanism. You only get random folders.

Therefore I am living with the compromise in an Ipod to have random all play capabilities. Won't a LARGE Ipod store wav files?
arw01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011   #4
DIYMA 500 Club

12V Company:
tpa
Position:
owner

Rep Power: 148 tnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished roadtnbubba is on a distinguished road

excelon won't play flac or wave on the usb..
The KIV series will..

the KIV series is the ONLY series with a decent folder screen.IMO>
I have looked at everything from alpine to zhitzu enterprizes.. they all suck ass IMO
even my clarion dzx. It only give folder numbers not names..it appears the car audio industry used some stoopid ass folder numbers scheme, except alpines even more sorry ass banking system. I mean why cant the display the main folder name not a number then maybe the sub folder titles?? come on gimme a break!

No need for an Ipod on the KIV.. the folder structure appears just like the windows folders and sub folders..They got it right and did a good job..It could be better but it is way above anybody elses USB menu system!!!

the operational menues are a little screwy but after a month it clicked easliy.

I am debating on putting my KIV back in over my Dxz just for the MEnu function and wave files..

No deck is perfect.. I got the clarion to do 3 way active and it's processing controls are phenominal for the $$$, but the usb is way slower to load and only plays AAC or MP3..which I hate.. sounds decent but not as good as a wave..

MY FARTS SOUND BETTER THAN YOUR SUB!
tnbubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011   #5
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 108 thechrisl will become famous soon enoughthechrisl will become famous soon enoughthechrisl will become famous soon enoughthechrisl will become famous soon enoughthechrisl will become famous soon enoughthechrisl will become famous soon enough

This is depressing. Still no car based media players that can support 250Gb+, multiple formats and don't suck total ass?

This is what I use and it's ancient (but rockin' steady with a 350Gb HDD). Dension DMP3 I would have thought this kind of device would have improved over the years (SSD, better DACs, etc) but no...
thechrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011   #6
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 148 matthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enoughmatthewo will become famous soon enough

i got my f90bt to work with a 500gb hard drive with about 50gigs worth of music on it. i had to use an a hard drive usb jumper cable and power it with a 12 volt usb charger, then sometimes it still wouldnt have enough juice to spin the drive. once SSD hard drives come down in price then there will be no problem. the deck went though 50+ gigs of wav files no problem.

i also can run up to 32gb sdhc cards with wav/mp3/wma

no support for flac though, on the deck. sorry.

i still just mostly use dvd recorded in 320kbps mp3/wma and output it though the digital output of the deck to my bitone processor. the sound is great, and i can store up to 500+ songs on each dvd.

i have also played a lot with 96khz 24 bit, sacd/viynl/dvd-a rips. down grading them to 48khz, 24 bit and burning a DVD -A and outputing that digitally straight to the bitone. although there is very limited selection in music recorded at that high of a resolution, i have seen a bit more dynamics. pink floyd, eric clapton and bbking, radiohead, ect have some dvd -a rips. and a bunch of 96khz viynl rips, if you dont mind pops and hisses

Last edited by matthewo; 03-23-2011 at 09:27 PM..
matthewo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011   #7
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 redearedslider5 will become famous soon enoughredearedslider5 will become famous soon enoughredearedslider5 will become famous soon enoughredearedslider5 will become famous soon enoughredearedslider5 will become famous soon enoughredearedslider5 will become famous soon enough

i use a kenwood ddx814 and it plays a 500GB portable hard drive full of .wavs just fine after its reformatted to fat32. my only issue is that the head takes a couple of minutes to read the drive every time it turns on.
redearedslider5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011   #8
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 108 thechrisl will become famous soon enoughthechrisl will become famous soon enoughthechrisl will become famous soon enoughthechrisl will become famous soon enoughthechrisl will become famous soon enoughthechrisl will become famous soon enough

I think it's inexcusable that these hardware vendors can't come up with something that can read large drives quickly, support a wide range of formats & playlists, with nice DACs and decent (i.e. circa Win95 at least) folder management. In other words, a tidy little carputer. Really seems like a no brainer (says the guy who can't do it himself). I guess the masses are still happy with iPods and whatnot.
thechrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011   #9
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 106 jhnkvn will become famous soon enoughjhnkvn will become famous soon enoughjhnkvn will become famous soon enoughjhnkvn will become famous soon enoughjhnkvn will become famous soon enoughjhnkvn will become famous soon enough

If we factor in that 99% of people use iPods, I can't blame them.
jhnkvn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011   #10
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 110 sirvent_95 will become famous soon enoughsirvent_95 will become famous soon enoughsirvent_95 will become famous soon enoughsirvent_95 will become famous soon enoughsirvent_95 will become famous soon enoughsirvent_95 will become famous soon enoughsirvent_95 will become famous soon enough

I've recently been experimenting with my first in-car IPod setup and am so disappointed that I have been thinking about going back to the old setup
of just putting in a 12-disc changer so I can have some more music on tap
without sacrificing sound quality.

Sad, right?
sirvent_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011   #11
DIYMA 500 Club

Rep Power: 127 redearedslider5 will become famous soon enoughredearedslider5 will become famous soon enoughredearedslider5 will become famous soon enoughredearedslider5 will become famous soon enoughredearedslider5 will become famous soon enoughredearedslider5 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirvent_95 View Post
I've recently been experimenting with my first in-car IPod setup and am so disappointed that I have been thinking about going back to the old setup
of just putting in a 12-disc changer so I can have some more music on tap
without sacrificing sound quality.

Sad, right?
same thing happened to me after the first alpines w/ ipod control came out.
redearedslider5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement