DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired a New Beetle, 1.8t 5-speed this last weekend.

I have a GLI Jetta parts donor that I’m taking the 18” wheels, coilovers, brakes and 6-speed transmission from. It will get a larger turbo, exhaust, etc - all the fun boy racer stuff.

I said I wouldn’t do a stereo build on this one, but who am I kidding? I pulled the dash panels to access the ecu and my mind started racing! That having been said, I’m keeping this one “simple”. Loving the active 3-way + sub I built in my van but I’m thinking two small subwoofers in the dash and two wide band driver in pods. That’s it. Everything on the dash.

My taste for massive bass has diminished dramatically. I keep the level in the van turned down to a whisper. I’m sure there will be days that I miss bassing out, but the Tang Band 5.25” subs model nicely in vented enclosures that I can fit in the dash. Pushing 110db at 40Hz (before cabin gain) without exceeding xmax. I may melt the coils if I ever actually sustain those levels but that’s a risk I’m willing to take.

I’m running the Dayton RS line 4” as my mids in the van. The times I’ve deactived the tweeters for tuning and forgot to low pass the mids, I’ve been impressed with the performance of the lowly Daytons. They lack the shimmer of a dedicated tweeter but I may stash some dramatically attenuated tweeters in the factory dash location to compensate (if I care).

Anyway, stay tuned. Probably won’t be much movement for a bit but my previous builds for the last ten years or so have found their way on here so I might as well get the ball rolling.

Thanks for stopping by.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Gear:
-No headunit(!)
-iPhone to a Dayton DSP-408 to a Pioneer four channel amp
-Dayton RS 4” wide band drivers, crossed ~250Hz active
-Tang Band 5.25” neodymium subwoofers in 0.3 ft^3 ported enclosures tuned to 36Hz

Should be under $600, all in, reusing cables and wiring I’ve accumulated over the years.

So much room for activities!!!

One potential obstacle will be moving the ecu. Hoping I don’t have to hack the factory harness to get it out of the way.

The car:

I will be respraying it Olive Drab Green, lowered slightly on those BBS wheels you see in the picture there.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I swear, you guys gonna make me break out my Dayton DSP-408 before I put in my future truck.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I swear, you guys gonna make me break out my Dayton DSP-408 before I put in my future truck.
Do it! I run one in my van. 3-way active with a sub. Damn fine piece of gear at any price, save for the 10 or so second initialization when it powers up. I can't believe I paid like $150 for all that tech. I was going to run an 80PRS but the beetle has a terrible chasm where the headunit goes that won't allow you to fold the faceplate down! It works out though. I rarely use FM or cds anymore. Saves me some money. Just pipe 'er straight to the DSP and see if she blows smoke!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I NEVER use FM or CD's unless there's anti-streaming BLACK out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I ordered my gear today - this is pretty much everything:

-2x Dayton RS100-4 wide band drivers for dash pods (~250+Hz)
-4x Tang Band W5-1138SM 5-1/4" Neodymium Subwoofer (one pair in ported enclosures in the dash @30~250Hz, one pair in near identical enclosures in the rear side panels @30~100Hz, tuning will determine where the low passes land but the rears will run sub duty only)
-Dayton DSP-408 with a bluetooth dongle
-Alpine PDR-75 (4x"75w" RMS for mains, 1x"350w" for the subs. "Quotes" because the Alpine dyno sheets I've received in the past are usually 50% higher than listed. Hoping to run 100 watts to the front channels and meter the gain to approximate the same from the subs in the rear panels.)

That's it. I have wiring and fuses, etc and will just stream to the bluetooth dongle, unless the quality is straight garbage, then I'll have to invest in a dac and hard-wire that to the dsp input. Volume control with the phone LOL.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that escalated quickly. Trying a cheap android 10" tablet as a command center, since I'm otherwise dependent on an apple DAC in the lightning to 3.5mm to RCA cable, or whatever is in the Dayton bluetooth dongle. This should allow me a dedicated screen and better DAC. Just wifi hotspot to my phone. I don't have a coolant temp gauge either (just a dummy light) so running an obdII bluetooth dongle and the tablet will allow me to set up a "torque pro" gauge cluster to display various parameters - and costs about the same as a matching coolant temp gauge and sending unit/adapters/etc.

Looking forward to it! I've never run anything like this before. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a Facebook reminder today of some sweet tweeter pods I built eight years ago! Don’t be jealous!

Here are the pods in the van, running the same Dayton RS100-4 wide-band drivers. I’m going to build identical pods for the Beetle, just without tweeters.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And the budget blew up. Up to a grand in gear now BUT that SHOULD be everything. LOL. I’ve been here before! Dammit! Still probably want a subwoofer.

Ordered an Alpine PDR-75V 5-channel yesterday. I had great results with their (much) older PDX line so I’m hoping this keeps pace with those.

I decided for the sake of ease (and midbass) to run the four 5.25” subwoofers sealed in the dash. I’ll figure out a proper sub later. With cabin gain, they should be dead flat all the way down but will exceed xmax by 50Hz with any power so I’m back to looking at proper subwoofer implementations again.

18” IB in the spare tire? Sensitive 6x9s in vented enclosures in the side panels? I can’t know which way I’ll go until I do some soul searching and take the rear panels off the have a look at the space. Still need to pull the dash apart and see where/if I can move the engine computer.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn. Rear panel locations are a non starter for subwoofer installs. There’s no space. I built some gnarly bass into my Mini Cooper but they had rather large cavities to work with. Check it out :-(

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of planning updates recently. Not much of substance. Maybe someone someday will find it interesting... Anyway! Look what I found!!!

I had forgotten about them. Bought them years ago for a HT IB project that never got off the ground. So, caution has been thrown to the wind. Cutting the spare tire well!!! Just run one. If the weather eats it up in a year, I have a spare, and they only cost like $100 for the pair years ago. Without spending any more money, I can expect this response (no cabin gain, no crossovers in the first model)...

Red line: 1x Pyle 15" IB in the spare tire well (sub duty, duh)
Green line: 4x Tang Band 5.25" subs sealed in the dash (midbass)
Blue line: 2x Dayton 4" wide-band drivers in dash pods

And with some conservative cabin gain (The little Tang Bands can hang with some cabin gain! Though they explode under 50Hz)

Reactions: glockcoma

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Love it! Go team Blue Wave!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sooooo, not really keeping it simple anymore. A thing showed up today...

Dash subs showed up too! Planning continues!

Reactions: Notloudenuf

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Take out the metal mounting and fibreglass a tub enclosure :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I thought about it but it’s still really shallow in there. With the subs/midbasses on the dash and the potential to IB a 15” in the spare tire well (I’ve always wanted to do that) I think I’m just pulling the rear speaker paraphernalia and deadening behind those panels. Between the spare tire and removing all the other stereo gear, the car should actually loose a few pounds.

Not going HAAM on the deadening either. Just mlv in the doors and rear panels and a little CLD on thin panels and the roof.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Equipment keeps on arriving. Amplifier came in. DSP came in (they showed it back-ordered until May so that was cool). So I pretty much have everything in hand to get started now.

Alpine birth sheet shows 126 watts x4 and 439 x1 at 2 ohms. More than enough for my purposes! She’s a beauty too. Leaving the alpine badge off it. Build a rack in what’s left of the spare tire enclosure so nothing but the dash pods can be seen.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The Alpine matches the Pyle's.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The Alpine matches the Pyle's.
Hahaha. And yet neither will be seen. It’s almost a shame. They do their job well but are literally the ugliest woofers ever made. Mine are the old ones with chrome flame baskets. Part of me wants to show them off. Put lights and **** around them and troll the VW scene that has deteriorated so dramatically in the last ten years.

EDIT: just discovered these are the 4ohm units. It didn’t make any sense running two before, as I thought they were the dvc units and would take less power in a pair - it was like a 1db benefit v a single on more power. But now! You ever seen two 15s IB in a Beetle!?

Holy Lord, this got out of hand quickly. These suckers have a higher qes and qts too. With the pair I can run no subsonic filter and they won’t ever see xmax with the power I’m giving them! Hold onto your hearing aides people! We doin this!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Do it!

Reactions: Heterosapian
1 - 20 of 61 Posts