DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Doing it! I need to raise the floor 2 inches to accommodate both subs. Doing so gives me about 4 ft^3, which is actually plenty to just seal them. I mean, for a qtc of .707 I need like 40 ft^3 but 1.1-1.2 gives me a little 2db rise from 40-60 Hz and does a good job of controlling things.

Test fitting:

·
Registered
715 Posts
That'll work!

A little inspiration.

20150708_151124.jpg
20150721_191646.jpg
from Handset_20120001165040_119.jpg
from Handset_20120001153828_122.jpg

Reactions: Heterosapian

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
No movement on the stereo. Need to get the mechanicals sorted out first as my wife is not happy with two cars on jack stand at the moment. 20th/GLI/GTI brake swap, Bilstein coilover install, K04-001 turbo swap, software, injectors, vacuum hose clean up, timing belt, maintenance - all the things going down presently. Stereo install will resume once she’s driving again.

·
Registered
715 Posts
That's funny....my wife has a 2001 S60 sitting in the driveway with rod knock. I'm waiting on her to figure out what she wants to do with the car. I installed a bunch of new and junkyard parts last year. We paid for new tires too. If I had a new truck, then I would get a junkyard engine.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just test fitting. This is the final configuration though. Go big or go home. Both will run in a “restricted-infinite” baffle configuration (probably 1/3 of total sd in vent). Grabbing some more mdf, making baffle cuts and cutting up the spare tire well this weekend. Trunk floor will be elevated 1.5” and everything will be carpeted. Woofers recessed 3/4” with sturdy grills, often concealed/protected under the factory trunk cover. I’ll pull it for shows. Plan is for it to be invisible and grocery friendly with the cover on.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Grills, carpet and cloth came in. Mdf acquired. Start cutting and fitting this week...

Got side tracked though, in a good way!!! Inherited some Pioneer speakers from 1959! And they work! The L-pads need a good cleaning and one of the woofers is shot, the cabinets are cat scratched to hell but I’m pleased.

I love their shape but in needing to replace the fabric anyway, I’m changing the look. I am not married to the 1950s color scheme - though I’m sure someone will yell at me for my plans to alter anything :) Ordered some black textured tolex, fender silver/black/white grill cloth, and tapered stainless legs for it. Should look like a 70s fender speaker when it’s done.

A buddy of mine has some 18x1” oak planks he’s going to just give me (!) as well. I’ll reproduce the top and bottom using that wood and stain it ebony. The factory panels are all laminated particle board that has seen better days, and are missing some of their edging.

Also ordered some GRS 8FR-8 “Pioneer type” woofers. These cabinets are about 2.5 cubic feet and those GRS woofers have an f3 around 30Hz in a vented enclosure of that size! Who needs a sub!? Two-way baby!

Rather than clutter this build thread with those beauties, I may find a spot on here to show them off. Just gushing for now!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Ended up doing a little something today :cool:

Should be just over 50% of total cone area, assuming the grate only flows ~70% through it. More if more. The hole in the floor accounts for 80% total sd. I can now never resell this vehicle. Lol.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Dayum!!!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Dayum!!!!!
Playin no games!!! I’ve had this in mind for years and the stars aligned for this build. Going big. I know it’s been done before but I’ve never seen it in person, and even on the internet it seems pretty rare. Probably a good reason for that!

Everyone is concerned with chassis rigidity. I feel like a 1-1/2” mdf baffle probably makes up for the hole in the floor but just the same, I do plan on welding a 1/4” frame to the body around and across the hole.

Should be epic though. I can only imagine what this will sound like!

Started the baffle today. Got the lower done on lunch. Everything fits nicely. Doing the upper half this afternoon, then work on reinforcing it and maybe screw and glue it together tomorrow.

·
Registered
715 Posts
U sholl ain't!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
715 Posts
Nice and stealthy!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Worked on the baffle on lunch. It’s just a 1.5” floating baffle, which will be bolted down at the corners but probably vibrate like mad with any kind of output. So I reinforced it - probably excessively so. Screwed and glued. Top and bottom baffle sheets successfully laminated. Test fit this evening.

Trying to seal the bottom as best I can. Experimented with some crap I had on hand - made a 2:1 mix of some exterior primer and wood glue. It immediately turned into spackle. We’ll see if it ever dries. If it does, that’s a massive win cause it’s THICK! Follow that up with some bedliner spray and cross my fingers I don’t have to replace the baffle in a year.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Actually got a lot done today! Even started the dash baffles while the sub is drying. Four Tang Band 5.25” subs in hand. Let’s hope they do midbass...

·
Registered
715 Posts
They will!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Rainy day. Worked on the ‘59 Pioneers in the garage. New woofers and wiring, terminal cups to accept banana plugs and converted the strange open baffle cavities to a port, tuned to 44Hz.

The primer and glue mix on the sub baffle is about dry already. It’s a mess and I’d never want anyone to see it but damn, she should be well sealed against moisture now!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Why 44hz?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Why 44hz?
Flattest response with fixed cabinet dimensions - I didn't want to have to modify anything on these cabinets since they're 60 years old. The port section is held in place with two small screws and butyl tape so I can reverse it. They model flat at 100db down to 50Hz on 10 watts. Probably 40Hz in a pretty normal sized living room.

I'm thinking about making reproduction cabinets out of mdf and hardwood and running a 3-way in those. Then I don't have to feel bad about molesting some antiques.

EDIT: I ran the Pioneers today and they did great! Plenty loud on barely any wattage. Flat bass response, tunable highs, but the mids "honk" a bit. I'm going to try stuffing the cabinets after I cover them. There's some 60 year old batting on the walls but it's probably not enough to keep midrange reflections from coming back through the cone and port.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Cool!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Wow. Digging through my old MINI build thread. I got 130 on the dash from 30-60Hz out of two 6x9s in that thing and lost no cabin space doing it (humble brag). This is straight eerie though. Eight year almost to the day (tomorrow)

And today I test fitted the reinforced baffle for two fifteens in a beetle. Had to trim one section of reinforcement but now that contacts the spare tire well and I can secure it there as well.

Rough cut the baffles for the dash today as well. They need some trimming before they’ll drop in but they should be in tomorrow. Also pulled the rain tray hardware for fresh air. I’m completely sealing the tray to build vented enclosures for the midbasses. Recirc only AC. Once I cut the floor pan, all bets were off. Should be bonkers with those four subs up there, tuned around 50Hz and high passed about 40.

Side note: measured the Pioneers in my garage. I think the subs that live in there are resonating. I shouldn’t have that much room gain, especially starting at 90Hz. I see the midrange issues I’m hearing. Big bump from 500-1500Hz. That’s the bulk of my damn midrange! I’ll take them outside and measure this weekend. Stuffing the cabs should help. I think it’s reflections coming through the port and cone that are causing it.

You can see my 15” floorstanders on top of my pair of ported 15” subs. Four fifteens in the garage. I’m sure they’re resonating.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts