DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am by no means an expert.

I listen to rock and metal mainly. I like feeling the dbl bass from the music i listen to. I have bought some stuff but am clueless how to set it up correctly to get what i expect from it.

This is what i have

one of the cheapest pioneer wma mp3 decks deh-1900mp
Boston Acoustic spg 555 2 ohm
Rockford t2d212
Kicker zx1500.1
some replacement door speakers no idea wattage or brand
and i think the factory speakers near my ears.

previously we put a piece of 3/4 mdf across the back of the cab below the dbl brace right below the window. then the double brace piece we taped up with dryer tape and then sprayed that expandable foam to seal that up. It has the typical work truck rubber mat with jute beneath it. other then that the cab is stock minus the center jump seat.

i have built a couple of boxes now and to me it is loud but not that thumping bass that i expect.

ok on to the questions

The stuff I have will it get what i want?

I was considering building another sealed box for the 555 and putting it behind the pass seat. Seeing as how i read a few different post about it the way to go is the sealed 1 cubic foot box. Which way should i point it?

another box for the t2 sealed as well. And i would build it to fit between the 2 seats. thinking 12 wide 28 deep and 14.5 height. again should it fire up from the back? up down?

Any other helpful tips would be greatly appreciated:confused:

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
First and foremost WELCOME TO DIYMA! Now on to the suggestions on how to get you what you want.

It looks like you're running two different subs. Pick the one that sounds best for the music you listen to and either sell the other or put it in storage. That's likely part of your problem but far from all of it. Running two or more different kinds or sizes of subs will only cause problems. As far as enclosure recomendations I recomend a downfired sealed box between the seats in your truck. I've had good luck with the sub downfired behind the seats but between them in a console box just seemed to walk all over the other way. I've owned two single cab GM trucks in my day (01 Silverado and 06 Sierra).

Deaden your doors and seal the holes up. DO NOT SEAL THE WATER DRAIN HOLES UP!!!The "attack" you're looking for comes from your midbass up front. Give the mids a good home and they'll do what you need them to do within limits. Also make sure the front of the midbass is completely separated from the back. If the backwave interferes with the front it will kill your midbass and cause phase issues too.

Amping your fronts can really help with how they sound all across the board. When you deaden your doors let us know what kind of speakers you have up there. There are plenty of tutorials on here to help you along the way.

Get rid of your rear speakers. They're hurting more than they're helping. Trust me on this.

And lastly, time alignment will be a miracle worker when it comes to dailing in your sub-midbass transition. Where are you at in Texas? There's plenty of good ears on this forum in the DFW and Austin area that would likely be glad to help you get things dailed in but it will be up to you to do all the grunt work on install. Like I said before there's plenty of tutorials on here for everything you need to do to get it right. Good luck and get to researching.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I am in Killeen.

Trust me i dont mind doing the grunt work. I just hate doing it and not getting results. I wasnt running both subs together I ran the spg 555 first and then some guy at a stereo shop said that type of sub wasnt a thump sub more of a good quality sound. So a buddy of mine with an h3 has 2 t1's and his truck hits. So it was suggested to me to buy a t2 since i had a bigger amp. SO I did that and still not impressed. My buddy seems to think i need 2.
He is no expert I am no expert.

I was thinking of either making a full size box behind the seat. I seen one on here where he converted the whole area behind the seats. Then i could reverse mount the sub since according to the manual that came with sub i can mount it that way as well. Or make another box with dimensions of 13 x 14.5 x 28 so it will fit between seats. Let me upload some pics.

I am also curious if the electrical is up to the task. I have a 100 amp alt. Battery is mounted in the back with 2/0 up to the starter. about 2 foot before starter i put in a junction point and ran a 0 guage to the fuse for the amp and 0 guage to the amp with a 0 guage ground. I also have factory dual electric fans other then that it is a base model truck. From the alt to starter is 0 gauge and to the power to vehicle is a 2 gauge.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are not allowed to include links or images in your post until you have at least 5 posts, or you can upgrade your account by clicking on the button below:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK now I am more confused, trying to educate my self. I can run this single 2ohm DVC 12 inch sub either 1 ohm or 4 ohm acording to rockford. My amp only runs 4 ohm or 2 ohm. So should i get a 1 ohm stable amp and try to match rms 1 ohm wattage to the sub or 4 ohm rms wattage to the sub?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I built a new box and got an orion 2400 watt amp and it still doesnt hit like i like it. I am buying a new head unit with seperate freq control and this probox and trying that when i get back from deployment also getting a jl audio amp since the orion is mondo. Lets see if this forum lets me post pics...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
enjoy is one word you could use, lol

New head unit helped a bit think I am going to try a pro box after i get thru the holidays i miss my center seat

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey man. How's your FM reception? A friend of mine has a 2000 Silverado and he's wanting to upgrade his antenna. I started a thread but nobody seems to know anything about antennas I guess. Any ideas?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2001 and my truck has great FM reception. I travel about 100 miles away form Philadelphia, into the Pocono Mtn region and still get good reception from the stations in Philly. I've thought this was above average. Everything is stock right now.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks Mag. We put the system in my friend's truck about 4 months ago. He says that it's better than with stock, but wants better still. Of course, he could be really nit-picking. I haven't really heard enough radio on it to tell. But, CDs sound really good!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts