DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Complete noob to car audio, but I can build desktops (don't know if that will help at all.) Anywho, as a noob, I am looking for advice on a full system setup, such as where to start. As long as the total price tag is under $1,500, I'm ready to go. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
977 Posts
What do you plan to achieve here? Tons of bass? Just clear sound? What kind of music do you listen to? Another important thing to know would be your installation abilities. Will you be doing the install yourself or have a shop do it for you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quality is my #1 goal. I listen to rock, metal, talk radio, classical, rap/hip-hop, trance and hardstyle on a regular basis. I desire hearing every sound in every song cleanly. No sounds louder than others, but all capable of getting loud. I'm open to doing it myself, but I would have to learn a lot of things (which I'm very open to.) I will go to a shop if necessary.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'd recommend DIY personally. Saves lots of money and its always good to learn. Plus, a dedicated DIYer can definitely do a better job than a installer that has a list of appointments to take care of. Trust me on that one.

How much space are you willing to lose? As I recall, there's not really anywhere to put a stealth enclosure, so you'd pretty much have to put it behind the front seats.

That said, this is what I would recommend.

Front stage: Relatively high end speakers ($200-300 range)
No rear speakers
Single 10 or 12 in a reasonably sized sealed or ported enclosure (depends on listening habits and the sub itself)
Amps: A mono for the sub, and a 2 or 4ch for the fronts (if a 4ch run active or bridges - more on that later)
Sound deadener: Lots. CLD tiles, CCF foam, and then MLV around the whole truck. This will be a huge difference maker in keeping out unwanted road noise. You should also do the normal "tricks" like sealing up the doors and such.
As far as a HU, getting something active and TA capable isn't a bad idea, but personally I'd say just make sure to get something with bluetooth for convenience

Depending on how crazy you want to go, an active setup with DIY speakers will give the best results for the money. It does make installing and tuning much more difficult though. Kinda depends how much of a challenge you're looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all of your useful information. Could you please give definitions for your abbreviations?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thank you for all of your useful information. Could you please give definitions for your abbreviations?
Ok, let me help you out a bit. I have an 01 Tacoma (dc though), so I have an idea of what you're working with....

First thing you need to do is contact Mr Marv... DIYMA.com - View Profile: Mr Marv. He's in the know on the Tacomas and will set you up with baffles for your front doors.

Second thing... your sub box. https://www.supercrewsound.com/commerce/catalog.jsp?catId=69
I've heard good things about these guys. Decide which route you want to go. Personally a single 10" is what I'm using, and it's plenty sufficient for me.

Now, on to equipment...

Front stage: With the baffles from Mr Marv you only have about 2.75" mounting depth if i remember right. I'm going to attempt to fit a 3" deep driver in mine, but that's a lot more labor intensive (spacing windows, shaving inside door card, etc...). You can fit the tweeters in the factory spot in the doors with minimal modifications. I am currently running a Dynaudio 240gt set which fits just fine and really sounds amazing. All I needed was the baffles and to slightly enlarge the factory tweeter hole to fit the MD100 tweeters (the factory covers will still fit back in once I take out the md100's, i'll just need to glue them on).

Rear fill: Don't bother. A properly set up front stage will provide more than enough sound. I don't even have rear speakers anymore!!

Substage: Decide what box you want and we'll go from there...

Amps: I am currently running some Arc audio minis. a 125.4 bridged to the Dyns up front (250w x 2) and a 500.1 for sub duties. Small and they both fit under one seat!

Sound deadening: Talk to Rick from Raam Audio... DIYMA.com - View Profile: raamaudio he'll get you set up right. i would also recommend some MLV (mass loaded vinyl, use google) to lay over the ensolite. it will really help with the road noise.

Head Unit: Get whatever you want. If you're just going to run a passive set up front, it really won't matter much as long as it has the features you want.

I'm going to send you a PM here too... I have some stuff you may find useful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts