DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys this is my first major forum post and I just wanted to share my modest build so far and ask for some feedback as to how I can improve it.:)

This is all before I got addicted to the forum and was still in hs with a 04 corolla ce.

I started back in November with a cheap $80 pioneer HU 2 way 6.5 speaker combo from Walmart, hated them, by January I had got a Kicker ZX 350.4, totally disassembled my car and installed it. By march in had added 2 pioneer TS-A6993R 6x9's to the rear deck. By May I added a older 90's hifonics components set a friend gave me. First time I had tweeters. Then in June I got extremely bored and just bought 2 boss D10F and a power acoustic 2000w monoblock amp. Looking back I feel like an idiot... :(
Then on August second I got into a car accident( please don't slow down from 65 to 20mph on I95 and switch into my lane...) , couldn't salvage the hifonics set( I was at at work and dad couldn't figure out how to take the doors off... replaced them with the infinity ref.) so I ended up buying myself a 05 corolla S.

Redid everything in the S too. Stock system was so cold and tinny it gave me a headache...
Tried everything with a SSL 2/3 way digital crossover, caused insane clipping even when the gain was turned all the way down and it would put my kicker amp into protection mode so I removed it.

Current set up is:
Cheap pioneer HU same one from that kit
Kicker ZX350.4
Power Acoustik 2000w monoblock(gonna replace)
Infinity ref. 1031t tweeters
Infinity ref. 6032cf 6.5 in doors
Pioneer TS-A6993R 6x9's rear deck
2 Boss D10F 10" subs (wanna replace but they are ok)

This was all before I stumbled onto Diyma which I have been reading daily for a month now. :D

I am going for a SQ build not even close to finished yet though,

Things I'm still working on:
Getting an MS-8
Add an AGM battery
Upgrade the big 3
Upgrading the HU to a JVC KD-HDR70 or if I could miraculously find a P99RS for 600 I would die lol.
I'm also going to add a center channel for the MS-8
Going to add another amp to adequately supply to all speakers(ZX 350 dedicated to front tweeters and 6.5's, probably another ZX 350 for the rear deck and center, and another new amp for the subwoofer).
Also going to sound deaden the whole car because it sounds like a tin can now.
And possibly going to upgrade the alternator...

All in all I wouldn't be surprised if i spent over 2k...

I am extremely curious as to what you guys think and what do you think I should change? I'll post pictures tomorrow of what I have but in general I want the cabin as stealthy as possibly. The trunk I think I'm going to make a false bottom for the amps and change the subs for a small IB setup.

Thanks you guys!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here, it's odd how much i've learned in 9 months but my one big question is what brands are the best for speakers. I see morel, focal, and infinity kappa a lot in the forums however from what I've seen it depends a lot on personal preferences

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've got a Corolla CE 2005 and I've rebuilt my audio setup for years, so please hear me out with some honest real life advice that i am almost certain will save you lotsssss of money haha ;) i've wasted my fair share :cool:

Things I'm still working on:
Getting an MS-8 - not that the ms-8 is a bad product, but the P99RS (i have the DEH-P01 japan version) looks beautiful in the dash and it would be mildly excessive to get an MS-8 and have a "less cool" looking unit in the dash.

Add an AGM battery - I went with a Sears Diehard Platinum, excellent service/warranty, retains a high float voltage. i was always worried about kinetik's fit (i hear the KC1400R fits, remember your terminals are REVERSED) because of the lack of a B&M warranty

Upgrade the big 3 - huge difference on dimming with 1/0 gauge

Upgrading the HU to a JVC KD-HDR70 or if I could miraculously find a P99RS for 600 I would die lol. - buy the P99rs or you will waste money now and still buy it later ;)

I'm also going to add a center channel for the MS-8 - imo excessive with a p99rs

Going to add another amp to adequately supply to all speakers(ZX 350 dedicated to front tweeters and 6.5's, probably another ZX 350 for the rear deck and center, and another new amp for the subwoofer) - check out the all in one solutions, JL HD900/5, Audison LRx 5.1k, you'd be surprised how much they'd cost

Also going to sound deaden the whole car because it sounds like a tin can now. - very helpful, also look at the trunk flaps, and focus on the rear deck for deadening

And possibly going to upgrade the alternator... - very excessive, just upgrade the battery, in my honest experience, the better quality the amps, the less dimming, i've run 2000+ watts RMS with 0 dimming on the stock peashooter alternator

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just got a 2007 Corolla S. Pics will follow soon.

Alpine w505
Alpine H701
Sundown amplifiers
Morel Tempo 6x9"
Dynaudio MD102
Dynaudio MW 162GT
IDQ 12

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jooonnn thank you so much for your awesome feedback! Sorry for the late reply, we are gearing up for the iphone launch at work and it has been insane lol. I got the chance to read your thread a while back and i have kept a watch on it for a couple weeks now. I will definitely take upgrade the electrical system with the Big 3 and the diehard. For now im gonna stick with the MS-8 due to money constraints(gonna buy off amazon for $480) . Although I think what I'll also do now is integrate an ipad into the setup. I'll get a 32gb 1st Gen and fab a drawer in the deep drawer under the AC controls. Sync it wirelessly with iOS 5 when in range of my house and connext it to the car either through 3.5mm or bluetooth. I kinda am going for a proof of concept on this one lol

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sweet stuff! Im assuming the ipad screen will be a screen while you drive? My concern when i tried it a while back was the shifter blocked a lot of the view.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took out the whole center console today and come up with a better idea for the Ipad.

Im gonna move the HU down to the compartment under the AC controls. Then I'll fab an iPad case w/ built in charger where the HU was. It'll be landscape between the vents and I'll add an actuator on the right side so I can angle it towards the drivers seat as well as leave an opening on the case so i can slide it in and out when the actuator is extended. I'll use bluetooth to connect it to the head unit. I'd also wanna make some kind of insulated cover to keep it hidden from prying eyes if I leave it in the car for a little.

I also was going through 9th gen and saw your first door panel. I was wondering what materials worked best for you? Plus how did you mold it to shape?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I took out the whole center console today and come up with a better idea for the Ipad.

Im gonna move the HU down to the compartment under the AC controls. Then I'll fab an iPad case w/ built in charger where the HU was. It'll be landscape between the vents and I'll add an actuator on the right side so I can angle it towards the drivers seat as well as leave an opening on the case so i can slide it in and out when the actuator is extended. I'll use bluetooth to connect it to the head unit. I'd also wanna make some kind of insulated cover to keep it hidden from prying eyes if I leave it in the car for a little.

I also was going through 9th gen and saw your first door panel. I was wondering what materials worked best for you? Plus how did you mold it to shape?
Materials that worked best for me was putting a thin foam underside on the doorpanel before wrapping the panel with the desired cloth. Vinyl was kind of not worth it to me due to the way the door closes and meets the dash at the end. Grill cloth looked best to me. To make a mold, you need cut out your desired areas of the door then stretch the fabric as tight as you can and glue with super strong contact adhesive. As you know the panel is quite curvy and recessed so I built up the panel so it meets a uniform height where the dip starts (if that makes sense). Then i added some plastic molding to the door to cover the seam. I know this sounds a bit confusing but feel free to ask more questions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts