DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well getting everything together to do the build in my daily driver. The Mercedes is going to take a bit. Getting the motor rebuilt and body done. So I'll play with the little toy. Will start with my Pioneer 800PRS handling all the processing duties. If I find I need alittle more eq I have a couple Xtant P500s in storage. Amps are a Sundown 1500d and 100.4d. Front speakers are TC Sounds rmb6.5s and either The Veritas/ID horns I have or the Illusions from Hybridspl. Will see what works and sounds best. Sub will be a TC Sounds LMT4000 12 in a 3.8cft box with 2 TC Sounds VMP 15" passive radiators. Box will be tuned to 28hz to start. All wiring in KnuKonceptz and will be techflexed and heatshrinked. Kinitic 800 under the hood and 1800 in the back. Here's a sketchup drawing of the box and some pics of the equipment.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's some sexy looking gear! I am interested in that sub configuration, it's funny that in all my years as an installer, I have only built three ported boxes and and two bandpass boxes. Sealed and A-Periodic were the hot setups in my neighborhood. The first time I saw a passive radiator was on my Sunfire home sub, and my Definitives are ported, but I never tried it in my own car. Anyway, those mids look hot too. I would just be careful mounting them, so the screws don't tear the surrounds like my Zapco mids!

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Pick a different battery for the front. Kinetik 800's aren't meant to be used as starting batteries. Our shop found this out the hard way. The rep told us the 800 was 800cca so it was comparable to an Optima Red Top. So we sold the sh*t out of them. And then they ALL started coming back after they ballooned out and grew 1-2" in each direction. When we called Kinetik to find out why, they told us "Oh, of course you're having problems. The 800 isn't meant to be a starting battery. You need a 1400 or 1800 for that..." And of course, the 1400 and 1800 don't bolt in to anything since there are no mounting tabs, and they are taller that most standard batteries. And the screw in top mount terminals are garbage. I'll stick with my Optimas...but figured I'd put that out there so you'd know.

Jay

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Hope to get started in a couple weeks. Thanks for the info on the 800. Will probably run a redtop under the hood. This will be my first PR box. Played with Unibox for about 3days modeling different enclosures. This is the design that looks to suite my music taste the most. This is not a comp car just something to make the 4-8hr drives more enjoyable!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts