DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 silverado. I'm looking to upgrade my current setup from 6.5s to 6.5s and 4"s. But I want to make the doors sound better from the install side of things. The speakers mount to the plastic outer door panel. To me this seems a little flimsy and there's gotta be a better way with out heavily modding the panels. I want to keep the stock look but make everything better. I have tried to research options for this, but I cannot find anything but door pods and custom panel inserts which would not work to keep the stock look.
I was thinking of adding some wood behind the panel and mabe some sound dead.... and also trying some sound dead on the metal part of the door(this will prob happen anyways).
Is there anyone out there that has done this and have some insight?

·
Listener of Music
2,935 Posts
I have some beastly 6.5's in my 05 doors. I made a mount/baffle out of HDPE and applied some cld and ccf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the mount on the inside of the panel or outside?
Pics?
I just got handed down a set of Rockford audiophile 6.5 from my pops. I wanted to start making something soon for the doors.....

·
Listener of Music
2,935 Posts
Same door, different door card. That format doesn't impact the install at all. You want to mount the aftermarket speaker and baffle directly to the door metal. So in either application your doing the exact same thing. I have a truck with that same door card. If you want to build your confidence with visuals find my 2000 work truck build log on here. Use google search with diyma in the terms. It has the exact same door card as yours. Either way the install is the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see.... nice.
So the 3/4 MDF was mounted straight to the metal frame? No spacers or anything to get it flush?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seen it. Way to far.
Given the right tools and patience, I could do it. But way to much for me now.
U gave a good starting point with the wood mounted to the door metal. I'll start to come up with a game plan for that soon.
I just ordered my dsp. So I have a big project there before I go crazy on doors.

I need to find a good set of cheap amazon 4" to experiment with before I go too crazy.
Any ideas on a 50$ or under set of those?

·
Listener of Music
2,935 Posts
I see.... nice.
So the 3/4 MDF was mounted straight to the metal frame? No spacers or anything to get it flush?
Butyl rope, 1/2" hdpe plastic. I haven't used mdf in years and never in a door. The butyl seals the hdpe to the metal and the hdpe provides the rigid mounting surface for the speaker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts