DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my first attempt at a real install. I have built some boxes and replaced factory head units and speakers before, but I've never done anything cool.

This phase will only be my amp/sub install, I will have to put off doing the front stage for a while.

My goals were:

1) Low budget - for now
2) Expandability
3) A bit stealthy
4) Something I can finally be proud of when I pop my trunk instead of a bare MDF box with wires running everywhere!

Equipment list for this phase:

1) Polk 1100.5
2) IDQ D2 V2

The battery pack takes up space between the trunk and the backseat, so here is all I have to work with...

In other installs I have seen, it seems like people do sound deadening down in the spare tire area, but I am not sure why, maybe someone can enlighten me?

First my spaceship looking sub enclosure, I should have done fiberglass, but because I am doing this in my driveway and am not sheltered from the non-stop rain, it would be difficult, plus my spaceship only cost me a half sheet of MDF.

In the interest of keeping it expandable, I put under 3/4 stips of mdf along the top to hold the baffle down.

Now my two amp trays, the new floor height will be 3.5" higher than stock

I made my trim piece early so I could take some real measurements. I wasn't sure how much of a gap to leave for the vinyl and carpet.

I made some cuts in this piece to allow for the trunk to vent. There is a lot of moisture to deal with in this part of the country and I didn't want to have issues.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Here is my first attempt at a real install. I have built some boxes and replaced factory head units and speakers before, but I've never done anything cool.
TBH, after this statement, I wasn't expecting to see much...boy how wrong was I!
For your first 'real' install, you've nailed it so far! Trim panel looks great. Look forward to seeing the rest!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my baffle done, the plan is to end up with a sealed enclosure with 2 12's in it, for now I am going to do a ported box using one of the speaker holes for the port...

The amp trays are going to have space under them for the rca's and maybe it will help with cooling too so I had to build little spacers, the funny looking ones on the end are just to clear part of the trunk.

Got the baffle done and covered with white vinyl.

I have a new respect for people who are good at laying it, it sure is difficult to get just right. I tried using a brushed steel looking vinyl that I just had to have when picking it up, but I didn't realize it wasn't stretchable, and looked like poo after laying it, so then I went with white which was my original plan.

That's all for now, I am going to work on pulling some wire... That's the easy part, right?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
First I'm with Sinister-Kustoms, I wasn't expecting much but was very surprised
at your work thus far! VERY NICE!!

As for the deadening of the spare tire well... Next time you have that box out or
if you can tap it with a screw driver. If it doesn't 'THUD' then that is why you see
us putting down deadening tiles. It does help with that issue, mostly when you
move into the passenger compartment and pull up your carpet we put it on those
surfaces. Most pull out the factory others lay down additional. Then we apply layers
of other materials to deaden or suppress road noise and in VERY general terms
try and make the cabin more quiet. This will in turn make seemingly reduce the
amount of volume you will need to have vs a car without. This can be done with
MANY different materials. If your unsure of these do a search, it will keep you
busy for DAYS....

AGAIN, great start and be proud of your accomplishments!!!! Keep it up!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adding iPod integration, backup cam, and getting a signal.

I've torn apart several Hondas in the past, all of the sudden the clips seems like they are four times as strong as any other model I have owned.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks great so far. My wife and I have an 05 accord so I'm interested to see how it turns out. Make it look good enough and help me convince my wife to do it to our car. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Are the amp racks and the port made of particle board? It doesn't look like MDF.
I was wondering the same thing. If it is particle board, poor choice in materials but great looking work. Very good craftsmanship.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
In other installs I have seen, it seems like people do sound deadening down in the spare tire area, but I am not sure why, maybe someone can enlighten me?
Habit mostly. In a project like this, where the MDF is bracing the sheet metal and serving as a barrier because of its mass, other treatments would do almost nothing.

Spare tire wells are one of the most over damped areas in a car and I'm sure your talking about vibration damper. It can be a significant noise entry point. Adding a barrier can help if the install itself doesn't server that purpose, as your does.

When the spare tire remains in place, it provides bracing and vibration damping by design. Take it out and you have some of the flimsiest sheet metal in a car. Removing the spare is the first step most people take. Then they start tapping on the sheet metal, adding vibration damper, tapping some more, adding, tapping. Eventually the vibration damper forms a cushion against the tap and the job is considered done. You probably haven't accomplished anything more than you had when the spare was bolted down. Enough layers will start to create a barrier but it's an inefficient way to get there. Here's what I ended up with when I followed this routine:

Tap to identify resonant areas before you start, not to determine when you've added enough.

Very nice workmanship :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was wondering the same thing. If it is particle board, poor choice in materials but great looking work. Very good craftsmanship.
Yes, it's 1/2" particle board, my local hardware store didn't have anything thinner than 3/4 MDF. Why is it a poor choice? It isn't anything structural.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks great so far. My wife and I have an 05 accord so I'm interested to see how it turns out. Make it look good enough and help me convince my wife to do it to our car. :)
I will try my best! Which model do you have? A non-hybrid sure would be easier to fit everything in the trunk area!

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Yes, it's 1/2" particle board, my local hardware store didn't have anything thinner than 3/4 MDF. Why is it a poor choice? It isn't anything structural.
Even if it's not structural particle board will absorb any water or moisture like a sponge. Even high humidity will cause it to swell.

Use Birch instead. In fact, use Birch instead of MDF as well.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If that is the only wood you have access to that is all you can do. However, you can paint or roll on some fiberglass resin or other products to help with deterioration. You will want to coat both inside and outside as much as possible. Some paints and under coats will work also. But at this stage I wouldn't undo the work you have already done.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand why people coat it inside door panels where it is actually wet, but didn't ever think it would be a problem in my trunk. I guess that is the advantage of posting my install, so I can learn from my mistakes.

I was planning on using some white cutting board material scraps that I saw at my local plastic supply store for the door baffles when I get to that part.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, my laptop with the remaining trunk pictures died, so... onto the doors.

Debutyling... NOT FUN!

Debutyled!

My butyl ball...

Plexiglass, or maybe acryilic filler panels, I don't know, they were scraps from a plastic supply store close to me. I used thinner ones for the smaller holes, and thicker for the larger, probably 3/16 or so. I am really impressed at how well they bend.

Closeup of the filler panels... I still need to do something to seal them up, I am thinking about using clay so they are removable if necessary, but I'm not sure yet. I am also not sure if I should use CDLs right over them, I am deferring to Don on that one.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mid installed using 2 layers of 3/8" cutting board type material that was also scrap from my local plastic supply store... It sure cut like butter!

A layer of modeling clay on the back, yup, that's snow on the ground

Another little bit on the inside to seal it up good

The depth worked out just right, I won't even need to trim my door panel, it should mate up perfectly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts