DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short introduction.
Im new to the forum, been lurking awhile...not new to car audio.
I worked in the industry for about 15 years (installer) but got out of it back in 2000.
Competed and judged IASCA back when it was the main player in the comp circuit...even placed finals a few times and had some involvement with the mags...
I'd imagine I've crossed paths with some of you "old timers"... :)

Anyway,
This system is destined for my daily driver, a red 2006 F150 xlt supercab short bed 4x4
The goal with the system is a reasonable cost, semi custom install and a good listening system with decent accuracy.
Most items are being purchased used to control final cost but fulfill my needs.
Not looking to compete again but,once you do, there are certain levels of performance you demand...system will be full active
Here's the list as it stands for now:
Alpine IVA W200
Aline PXA H701
ARC 900.6 (front stage amp)
MMATS 500.2 (sub amp)
ADS PX tweeters
Some generic 2" wide range mids
ID OEM V1 6.5 midbass
JL Audio 8w3v3 (2)
Misc install stuff (sound deadened, wire etc...)

The install will be done in steps...
Some things will be done then undone to keep the truck drivable and listenable while in process.
The initial plan is subs under the back seat, midbass in the doors, midrange in the dash, tweeters in the pillars amps and procebehind the rear seat back Plans to change as needed. :)
how about some pics:

Midbass, door install. Sound deadening will be done later...im also going to remake the baffle out of better wood and properly seal the door after I decide if they'll stay in the doors.

I had to remove some of the panel to clear the 3/4" baffle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mystery 2" mid for the dash came out of a BMW x5.
I Have no idea what it is, what it's response is or what it'll sound like...I just like the grills.
If it sounds bad, there some decent replacements available...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More to come as things progress...
Amps and processor next I think...
Also still kicking around the sub box and subs.

I might be looking at some equipment trades ...
I'm thinking of going with a single 12 over the dual 8s and might try to trade the MMATS amp for a matching ARC or mini....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lookin real good, I like the mids in the dash

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thats a clean looking mid install. I like it alot. I have an older F150 but I love to see truck builds. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Things are going a little slow...holidays and what not.
I've made all the final equipment decisions.
I'm Going to run two Polk Audio MM1040DVC for subs and I picked up an Arc KS125.2 mini for the mid bass. Final system will be 8 channel full active for flexibility.

I've aquired a nice piece of oak to make the final door/midbass baffles out of. I will deaden the doors when I switch out the baffles.

I Ran the 4ga power wire and the right side speaker wires (3 sets), mounted the "mega" fuse holder and ran the 4ga wire through a factory grommet right behind the battery...nice and clean.
I chose the mega fuse holder because it looks like an OEM piece.

The AiNet cable, fiber optic cable and 3 more speaker wires will go down the left side.

Today, I pulled the back seat and arranged and mounted the amps processor and fuse dist block. Everything fits as planned so the little project is coming along great.

For now, I'm going to run a prefab dual 10 box under the seat just to get things going...final plans will be to make a fiberglass box for better integration...we'll see. If the prefab works/sounds good, I'll keep it a just integrate it better.

A few pics...

More to come...

·
Banned
342 Posts
Hard to take rear seats out?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The first time was a pain in the ... After that it wasn't bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup, what he said.
I followed some directions I found on here...they were a bit misleading but the location of things was accurate.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/how-articles-provided-our-members/53037-f150-rear-seat-removal-2004-2008-my-way.html

You don't need a really long screw driver or a very heavy one to release the latch. Once you do one side and get "it", the Other side is easy.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If u have big hands be prepared to curse and possibly throw things when u r trying to get that back seat out. Once it's out and u see exactly what it is that u have to do its not as big of a deal the next time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, prefab dual 10 box under the rear seat for now (although a surprisingly nice one).
My final intentions are to do a fiberglass box...we'll see how the prefab sounds, maybe it will just need some better integration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am doing a similar build in a similar truck. Which box did you end up purchasing? Is it available online? Specs and size on the box would be helpful. And, thanks for the thread. I appreciate seeing what others are going through.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Build looks really nice so far and I'm looking forward to the progress. A couple of things/tricks that I dont know if youve seen on here. Those tabs that you push with a screw driver, once you take the backrest off, you can ziptie them so you wont have to go through that excruciating process again. That security module on the back driver side wall can be relocated in the back corner of the driver side mounted right below the seat belt mechanism. I believe they even have holes for it already there. This should save you some room for your components.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I purchased the box from amazon
It was the dual 10 Atrend.
I want to say it was about 80 shipped.
Fit is good.

Already took care of the clips, but it's well worth mentioning.

As soon as I get time to run the rest of the cables (fiber, 3 speaker wires and an AiNet cable) I should be able to fire it up.

I still want to rebuilt the door baffles out of that oak and do some sound deadening....just not enough time for now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
how do you like the arc?
i've been wanting to try one for a long time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts