DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a mint 4runner LTD for $9k below NADA:)

Our Akita and Irish Wolfhound ride in the back, sometimes back seat area as well when we can fold it down, cannot put subs in the rear as they go with us most of the time.

I looked underneath as considered cutting into the floor, no dice, AWD, big fuel tank, V8 exhaust, just no room.

Rear doors, not a ton of space but might be able to fit an 8 in each one.

Under rear seat, hard to see but there might be enough room if I cut into the floor, seems there may be some space under it.

Not enough room in the kicks without some major compromises but I am starting to lean more towards that area.

I really want to run a pair of Arc Black Line 10's but not having any luck figuring out where to put them, regular Arc 10's will be ok as well, or Hybrid 10's.

Not interested in any shallow mount drivers, none I know of are all that great, low output, do not play low, etc.....and I prefer to stick with Arc or Hybrid or something Eric Stevens comes out with, I am very loyal to those companies.

If you have any good ideas, experience, etc, let me know, I only have so much time I can spend on research, always super busy here with my Vette and normal business, race cars, etc..............:)

Thanks
Rick

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I might be able to put the subs in the front doors and the mids and tweets in the kicks but they would be a bit difficult, especially tens, getting enough air space, etc......

I took a look at kick panel sub mounting, not much room there for airspace and I am not going to make this a pain in the arse to drive.

Maybe I should put some butt shakers under the seats:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just traded my 07 for a 2011. The kick panels on the 07 contain all the traction control junk. If you try to put anything there, you will have to relocate this stuff.
The only / best location is over the passenger rear where the factory sub is. Ive seen
several custom boxes with a singal 12. And many with a singal 10. I had a JL 10w3.
You could look into down firing boxes so the dogs couldnt mess with the subs. I have seen a nice down firing design in the free box designs forum on caraudio.com

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I should of been more clear, a sub in the rear is out of the question as our big dogs will be riding back there nearly all the time we use this vehicle. I do not want a sub playing near them. If I can make something work up front and just keep the output low most of the time it will be better for them. I will demo the truck, without them in it so I need some decent output for those occasions.

Maybe I will see about the best low playing 8's for the front doors and put a single sub in the rear side and only play it when they are not in the vehicle. That might be the best way to go. I will look at that area and see what I come up with.

I cannot take up any floor space at all, not with two big dogs, they will barely fit in the rear once our Wolfhound stops growing:)

I will open up the rear doors and see if I can put some real 8" subs in there though.

Rick

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never looked at the 2011 version because I needed the V8. It came down to the 4runner or an SS trailblazer but the only thing I really liked about it was the LS2. I have one in my Vette and an LS6 sitting in my shop, EFI Live for tuning, performance parts, etc....I would of had a very fast SS if I went that way but the Toyota servers our purpose much better.

Rick

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I came close to putting four 15's into a tool box in bed of my Duramax but decided on four tens, hammered out back wall or cut out and box welded in, etc.......then decided to sell the truck, toyhauler, other stuff, etc and get the 4runner and a motorhome later on instead.

I will be under the 4runner this weekend installing a Borla exhaust(would of built my own if I had the time) and will take a closer look at cutting into the floor under the back seats since a much smaller muffler I might be able to do it that way. Maybe a single 12, etc......

Rick

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great news, Borla muffler gives me enough room so I can weld in a good size steel enclosure under the passenger side back seat and get just enough space to run a single Arc Black Series 12:)

I wish it was an easier install but I like welding better than fiberglass and day:)

I am now pretty set on my plans, Arc Black 12 and mids and either 1.0 tweeters in the pillars or Eric Stevens horns under the dash (would have to do major work on the parking brake and my back is not liking under dash work any longer but I love his horns!)

Then I will use Arc digital processor and a JVC NT3 I have or NT50 for NAV and world class sound.

I am keeping an eye on the PPI DD NAV unit, if it ever comes out, I will test one to see how I like it.

Rick

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Great news, Borla muffler gives me enough room so I can weld in a good size steel enclosure under the passenger side back seat and get just enough space to run a single Arc Black Series 12:)

I wish it was an easier install but I like welding better than fiberglass and day:)

I am now pretty set on my plans, Arc Black 12 and mids and either 1.0 tweeters in the pillars or Eric Stevens horns under the dash (would have to do major work on the parking brake and my back is not liking under dash work any longer but I love his horns!)

Then I will use Arc digital processor and a JVC NT3 I have or NT50 for NAV and world class sound.

I am keeping an eye on the PPI DD NAV unit, if it ever comes out, I will test one to see how I like it.

Rick
If you go horns, which driver do you plan to use for midrange duties?

Kelvin

·
Registered
161 Posts
dont u have a deck that have sub control so u can turn it on or off when needed? the only place to add a sub is in the rear pass side cargo wheel hump. i have a 07 model, 03-05 (minor exterior changes) 06-09 (exterior changes from the 03-05) but they have the same cargo space, unless its equip with the double deck system. but i have an actual box in the cargo for 2 12's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts