DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Design goal...sonic bliss on a budget, getting to know people in this community, and going beyond who I know myself to be.

For the electronics I'm using what I could find for the least amount of money that is a decent product, I just dont have the finances to spend on an MS8, Bit One, or expensive amplifier's and the such so I had to make due.

Alpine CDA 9847- 30.00$ (as a side project I'd like to modify the unit to learn about electronics, soldering skills, and what difference upgraded caps and such make) I have the service manual for the unit as well as the parts list available, looking for a mentor if anyone is willing. The most I've done is replace resistors and LED's in the cars instrument cluster to go from 80's Orange to a Cool Blue, here are some pics...

from the Alpine to-
Samson 1/3rd octave stereo eq which was free
Behringer 3400 crossover (3 way crossover) $60.00
JBL GTO1004 and a GTO1201 100.00 a piece

speaker wise I chose the BG Neo3 PDR $75.00

Dayton Audio RS180's 80.00pr and a Dayton 12"HO $60 used from Parts Express. For now the 180's will be used for mw/mr duties, I do have a pair of Usher 8945p's laying around, however they are 8ohm and I dont think the GTO1004 will do them justice, so for now it will be the 180's.
I'll be starting off with Showdown Sound Deadner on the doors

Is it best to glass the holes over on the door skin?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I always covered it up with thin aluminum and self tapping screws. what are you putting in your ride? picture of the car?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always covered it up with thin aluminum and self tapping screws. what are you putting in your ride? picture of the car?
kizz thanks for checking out the post, I updated the original post. My initial feeing is that the aluminum would cause more resonances than the fiberglass, I dont know this as a fact though so I will research it a bit.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
well i put deadener on both sides of it. so there was deadener between the aluminum and the door skin so I didn't get any resonance from it. worked well actually. but fiberglass would be great too, i was just not wanting to fiberglass. I love your blue interior lights, looks awesome!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sold the JBL GTO 1004 and picked up an Xtant 404m and a 2200ix for $200. For now the 404m will go on the Usher 8945p's and the 2200ix will go on the Neo3pdr's. I'll be keeping an eye out for another 2200ix to go on a pair of Neo10's. I've been waiting for my Dayton12" HO from Parts Express ebay so I checked the tracking # which has it as delivered, so I'll be putting in a call to FedEx tomorrow. Worked on fiberglassing the pockets in the door skin up, first time I've worked with glass, that was fun. I'll get a pic up tomorrow

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I had a lot of fun fiberglassing today, for my first time glassing I'm really happy with how it turned out

I will use wing anchors and marine grade sealent to bond them to the door after I take all the tape off, however before I do that I will apply the sound dampning materials to the inner shell of the door. Don at Sounddeadner Showdown is incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, I wanted to give him credit for taking the time he did to assist me. I also called FedEx to file a claim for the Dayton 12 HO, so I'm not sure what will happen with that. I'm really excited about this project as I've always just designed them for friends but never did any of the install, its a great learning experience

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try some of Rick's @ RAAMAUDIO for covering the holes. He has aluminum plates that work well. His RAAM Mat is great stuff as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Try some of Rick's @ RAAMAUDIO for covering the holes. He has aluminum plates that work well. His RAAM Mat is great stuff as well.
I'll look into that. Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to stick with Dons product's for the rest of the dampning though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Tarheels1, you have a great install going in the vette!

Well I took all the foam padding blocks off the door panels, also hot glued the panels pocket that was creating a lot of rattles

Here is the door dampened, really like Dons products as you dont have to use much to get fantastic results.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I remember the name of the plate material..alumalite. It is used for making signs. It is sandwiched aluminum plates with a corrugated plastic core. It really closed my holes up nicely and added virtually just ounces of weight for my Vette. Rick and I are concerned with keeping the weight down as much as possible on our Vettes. It is a high performance car that the engineers have tried to keep the weight down as much as possible. I will say Rick's ensolite and his foam is super light compared to other brands, if weight is a concern on a build. The Corvette does not recommend more than 500 lbs of passenger weight. When the Mrs. and I travel, she makes up all that weight by all of her luggage and more! Yes, she has found a way to carry the kitchen sink in a convertible!

BTW your glass work is beautiful in your doors!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thought Id do an update on this, its going to be a slow build as I watch my daughter during the day so that leaves me nites and a few hours during the weekend so...

Ive recently purchased a set of BG Neo10's which I sent to CVJoint to review while I'm doing this build, that thread is here http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/125188-oh-you-know-bg-neo10.html
I have a set of Ciare 10ndh-3 10" pro midbass that will be going in the dash with the Neo10's, to do that I ordered a set of Tilton pedal assemblies to move the stock units out of the dash and install the new ones on the floor, that will also allow me to move the seats further back more easily. I'm about to take the heat gun to the stock dampning material to put in Don's products, heres the car mostly gutted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts