DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 07 tundra and ive been putting off doing the system for way to long. I'm going back and fourth on what to do up front. I'm not sure if i want to do a set of 3way A/D/S components i have or a set of 2ways. My factory tweeters are up on the dash near the windshield but i was thinking about getting the tweeter mounts that mount on the door in the mirror cover. What are your suggestions?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have both that's why I was wondering what to do.

Also i wanted to see peoples opinion on mounting the tweeters up by the windshield or getting the mirror cover mounts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am going to be doing an install in my O7 Tundra also. The OEM tweeter location is crap....the 'center channel' speaker ruins imaging and there is almost no room for subs. (Mine is a DC).

I have always found the best sounding front stages built with the tweeter within 11" of the mid driver. The kick panels are pretty good in size and location for the install with custom kicks or possibly adapted Q-Logic. 3 ways would be pretty sweet with the woofer in the door and the mid-tweet in the kicks. I have had and heard more then my share of installs where the tweet was high in the door and they always seemed off to me. I would do everything you could to get them low.

Personally I am installing Dynaudio 5.25 and tweet in the kicks and using a single Morel Ultimo 10". I remember seeing a Tundra install build that the guy put 2 10" under the seat by cutting out the pan under the seats, welding a metal shell that extended below the body (*note that it was still MUCH higher then the drive line, tranny and other items under the truck) and put the box in this shell. This is likely how I am going to do my sub install as well and may be something you want to consider if you have the tools/skill.

Good luck with your build

~JH

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the same generation Tundra.

I have an 8" midbass in door, 3.5" midrange on the dash, and tweeters in my sail pods.

Door:

Tweeters:

Don't have a pic of my midrange installed, but they go here (in place of the horrible factory speaker):

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have an 8" midbass in door, 3.5" midrange on the dash, and tweeters in my sail pods.

Door:

Tweeters:

Don't have a pic of my midrange installed, but they go here (in place of the horrible factory speaker):

Nice install how dose it sound?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to be doing an install in my O7 Tundra also. The OEM tweeter location is crap....the 'center channel' speaker ruins imaging and there is almost no room for subs. (Mine is a DC).

I have always found the best sounding front stages built with the tweeter within 11" of the mid driver. The kick panels are pretty good in size and location for the install with custom kicks or possibly adapted Q-Logic. 3 ways would be pretty sweet with the woofer in the door and the mid-tweet in the kicks. I have had and heard more then my share of installs where the tweet was high in the door and they always seemed off to me. I would do everything you could to get them low.

Personally I am installing Dynaudio 5.25 and tweet in the kicks and using a single Morel Ultimo 10". I remember seeing a Tundra install build that the guy put 2 10" under the seat by cutting out the pan under the seats, welding a metal shell that extended below the body (*note that it was still MUCH higher then the drive line, tranny and other items under the truck) and put the box in this shell. This is likely how I am going to do my sub install as well and may be something you want to consider if you have the tools/skill.

Good luck with your build

~JH

Sounds like a nice set up. I was gonna do my a/d/s 3-ways up front and have 1 10 under the back seat. I just wasnt sure where the tweeters should go

·
Registered
84 Posts

How much room did you have in the stock tweeter location? I'm thinking about squeezing a 4" speaker in there. Think it will fit?

·
Registered
316 Posts
How much room did you have in the stock tweeter location? I'm thinking about squeezing a 4" speaker in there. Think it will fit?
The 3.5" (Fountek FR88ex) that I have in there (not shown above!) was a very tight fit.

You won't fit a 4" unless you're willing to trim some plastic.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There isnt that much room in there at all. Did you have any problems with the depth in the doors?
Doors... nope. But then again, my 8" drivers are less than 2.5" deep.

I am in the process of experimenting with a driver (RS225) that's about 3.5" deep. It should clear no problems, but we'll see...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doors... nope. But then again, my 8" drivers are less than 2.5" deep.

I am in the process of experimenting with a driver (RS225) that's about 3.5" deep. It should clear no problems, but we'll see...
What speakers are you using again?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Doors: Helix E200 8" midbass
Dash midrange: Fountek FR88ex
Tweeters: Vifa XT25

·
Registered
316 Posts
What crossovers are you using? Do you have time alignment?
PPI FRX-456.

No T/A.
No EQ.
Stock deck + Audiocontrol LC2i + Sony ES amps (big red)

I'm a 'naturalist' and it sounds pretty darn good all things considered. I'd rate it a solid "B". If I had a processor, I think I could get it to an "A-" or better. I think the weak link, imo, is my midbass. Wish it could play just a tad higher.

Unfortunately, I have a bunch of other things (read: family) that I need to spend my $$ on so the Bit.One is gonna have to wait...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same truck and would love to have an update on the success or otherwise on the rs225. I have been eyeing them as well.

Also, do you find the factory location on the mids acceptable? I have a pair of rs100 I would love to try there. I am not opposed to an a pillar build if necessary to get better results.

James

1 - 20 of 21 Posts