DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my audio installed today by a friend that has been installing for years. He worked on my car all day and finally got everything buttoned up. A few problems though, first let me list my set-up

Stock HU
Rockford T-400-2 amp
Focal Polyglass vb165 components
Rockford Balanced line driver
New RF wiring kit

All new wires ran as well. Here is the problem.

Upon first starting the audio system i found a moderate HISS coming from the tweeters. As far as i've read this hiss sometimes comes from a bad ground? My guy bolted the amp and BLD on the rear seat. I didn't spend close to $1000 so that I can have a front stage that sounds worse than my stock set-up. The hiss is still there when i turn the music on but its VERY noticable while the volume is turned all the way down.

When researching a set-up, the guys over at acurazine told me to go with the T400-2 for the focals. It seems that I am overpowering the components? We had all the gains down, even the adjustment on the BLD. When hitting 3/4 on the volume it seemed to distort/clip on certain songs. Would this most likely be due to overpowering the components?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I've been waiting months to have this installed and now I run into this problem!:mad:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My cousin and I have been working on his Audi A8. We originally tapped the wires from his stock amp in the back. He had tons of noise. The wires were ****ty and not shielded. We instead tapped the wires up front and ran real RCAs back. 80% of the noise gone with that one move...

·
Registered
898 Posts
THE GROUND IS NOT SANDED BY THE LOOKS OF IT! I would also attach the ground to the floor of the car like the trunk floor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re-grounded the amp, hardwired rca's to the pre-amp and still having hiss issue. Has anyone had problems with the RF t-400-2 causing noise even with a RF-BLD? Im at a loss for words, me and my installer have put over 10 hours into this thing with no luck of getting it perfect. He believes its the amp?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a t400-4 a t600-4 and a bld line driver and no noise im also using knukoncepts krystal and mks rca's which i modifies by grounding the shield.

by the looks of our ground pic sand it down to reveal bare metal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive ran the BLD every which way you could with still the same "static" through the tweets. After hardwiring the RCA's i noticed a tad of engine whine type static through the tweeters as well. The static will get louder as the volume is turned up but harder to notice because of the music.

Below is a new ground, sanded down. Would changing the location of the ground do anything? My installer had dif volt meters checking grounds and leads and still couldn't come up with the reason the tweets are static.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I don't remember you answering the question on acurazine, did you try turning the line driver down?

·
Registered
448 Posts
not for me. using the balanced connections i found there was a nice increase in clarity of sound. but you should try bypassing it. just to see.

Do you have the bld set on balanced or unbalanced?

You have your gain set too high on the amp and/or line driver. From looking at your pics that's too much gain on the amp.

Read the instruction that came with the bld to set the gains.

For example I have the bld set at 1/3 and the amp gain at 0 on my t600-4 bridged to
my front stage .
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scri...admin=&p_li=&p_faqid=949&p_created=1231978910

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not for me. using the balanced connections i found there was a nice increase in clarity of sound. but you should try bypassing it. just to see.

Do you have the bld set on balanced or unbalanced?

You have your gain set too high on the amp and/or line driver. From looking at your pics that's too much gain on the amp.

Read the instruction that came with the bld to set the gains.

For example I have the bld set at 1/3 and the amp gain at 0 on my t600-4 bridged to
my front stage .
Answer
Ive literally had the gains ALL the way down on the amp and BLD and still have an amp that seems to be overpowering, and static through the tweets. I've tooled around with all the settings and the BLD and gains only make the tweets sound worse.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Ive literally had the gains ALL the way down on the amp and BLD and still have an amp that seems to be overpowering, and static through the tweets. I've tooled around with all the settings and the BLD and gains only make the tweets sound worse.
If that's the case, I would definitely get the line driver out of the loop. Sounds like you don't need it at all.

·
Registered
448 Posts
who knows. anythings possible in car audio i guess. i just dont understand how you can have the gain on the amp at 3/4 plus using the line driver at alittle less then half way (from pics). and it doesnt have more static. While the amp sounds overpowering with the gains at 0. that just makes no sense.. the bld should be putting out more then 5v at half way. so that means your amp gains should be 0 or close to it as all your doing with gain is matching input voltage. and rockfords gain operate from 5v - 250mv. did you use the 1000hz test tone and all that jazz to set the gains?

you cant really try without the bld because its your line output converter correct?

possibly try a different set of rca's.. i would recommend knukoncepts krystal rcas

also check the ground of the stock HU and run a temporarily ground from the bld to the battery.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts