DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my "slow going" G6 build. Going full active 4-way with 7 channels. Here is what the set-up is going to be:

Doors - 6.5" SilverFlute Woofers - 2.75" DD Mids - 1.1" Alpine Tweeters

Rear - None

Sub - Dayton Audio Ultimax 10" @1ohm

Tweeter Amp - US Acoustics Lisa using two of the 4 channels

Mids Amp - US Acoustics Barbara Ann using the front channels

Woofers Amp - US Acoustics Barbara Ann using the rear channels

Sub Amp - US Acoustics Mike

DSP - RF 3Sixty.3

Head Unit - Stock, not used for audio

Audio - Phone - Bluetooth AptX HD to AptX HD Bluetooth Receiver connected to the RF 3Sixty.3 via the optical input.

The amps and DSP as well as secondary battery will be mounted to an amp rack where the lower rear seat used to be. Big 3 upgrade. OFC cables. 14awg OFC speaker wires for ALL door speakers. 10awg OFC for the Sub. I have the door speakers except for the tweeters. Still have to order the Subwoofer and the Lisa and Mike amps. Still need more sound deadening and a few other accessories and components.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally got my materials. It's gonna be fun.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
This is my "slow going" G6 build. Going full active 4-way with 7 channels. Here is what the set-up is going to be:

Doors - 6.5" SilverFlute Woofers - 2.75" DD Mids - 1.1" Alpine Tweeters

Rear - None

Sub - Dayton Audio Ultimax 10" @1ohm

Tweeter Amp - US Acoustics Lisa using two of the 4 channels

Mids Amp - US Acoustics Barbara Ann using the front channels

Woofers Amp - US Acoustics Barbara Ann using the rear channels

Sub Amp - US Acoustics Mike

DSP - RF 3Sixty.3

Head Unit - Stock, not used for audio

Audio - Phone - Bluetooth AptX HD to AptX HD Bluetooth Receiver connected to the RF 3Sixty.3 via the optical input.

The amps and DSP as well as secondary battery will be mounted to an amp rack where the lower rear seat used to be. Big 3 upgrade. OFC cables. 14awg OFC speaker wires for ALL door speakers. 10awg OFC for the Sub. I have the door speakers except for the tweeters. Still have to order the Subwoofer and the Lisa and Mike amps. Still need more sound deadening and a few other accessories and components.

Your going to hate the rf 3sixty.3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your going to hate the rf 3sixty.3.

I have nothing to compare it to. As long as it does everything it is designed to do, I will be happy.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have nothing to compare it to. As long as it does everything it is designed to do, I will be happy.

It might but getting it to do those things will be a nightmare. If you haven't already purchased it I would go with the Dayton dsp over the RF

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It might but getting it to do those things will be a nightmare. If you haven't already purchased it I would go with the Dayton dsp over the RF

I have had it for some time... waiting to put it in the car. Paid $200 for it but had to buy the remote for it. When it was hooked up the the dedicated lap top I bought for it, the interface looks pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have really neglected this build log. There have been a few issues with the stereo since I started to put it together.

My full range amp broke so I sent it off for repair. When I got it back it self destructed taking one of my alpine tweeters with it and my eXcelon head unit. A new amp is on its way as we speak. I ordered a pair of metal domes because the cheapest I could find the Alpine tweeters for was $199. Until today. I found the seller I bought my original set from and they have more so I ordered another pair.

Basically more parts are coming. I have had my major ear surgery, it was a success, I can hear again. The full range 4 channel is on its way back (a new replacement), I will be ordering a matching 2 channel amp, I will be ordering a double din Kenwood eXcelon head unit. I have the SilverFlutes and DD 2.75" speakers mounted and the RF 3Sixty.3 is working perfectly. I also have the Bluetooth dongle coming for it which completes the DSP. More to come soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have really neglected this build log. There have been a few issues with the stereo since I started to put it together.

My full range amp broke so I sent it off for repair. When I got it back it self destructed taking one of my alpine tweeters with it and my eXcelon head unit. A new amp is on its way as we speak. I ordered a pair of metal domes because the cheapest I could find the Alpine tweeters for was $199. Until today. I found the seller I bought my original set from and they have more so I ordered another pair.

Basically more parts are coming. I have had my major ear surgery, it was a success, I can hear again. The full range 4 channel is on its way back (a new replacement), I will be ordering a matching 2 channel amp, I will be ordering a double din Kenwood eXcelon head unit. I have the SilverFlutes and DD 2.75" speakers mounted and the RF 3Sixty.3 is working perfectly. I also have the Bluetooth dongle coming for it which completes the DSP. More to come soon.
Congrats on being able to hear, that would really suck the fun out of this hobby...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on being able to hear, that would really suck the fun out of this hobby...
Yeah... it was making time alignment a real pain in the arse lol

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Well I stopped going there because of the trolls there that get on members that do not ask the right question or a novice question. Instead of helping them they bash them and go negative. You get a new guy on there asking a basic subwoofer wiring question and the response is something like do a search before you ask a basic question and “poof” that member is gone. Plus that forum seems to be more SPL oriented. Nothing wrong with SPL, just not my thing.

I remember when a certain very pessimistic troll got all over you when you first joined there. This place is losing traffic too. Seems like everyone is migrating to CarAudioJunkies. ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I stopped going there because of the trolls there that get on members that do not ask the right question or a novice question. Instead of helping them they bash them and go negative. You get a new guy on there asking a basic subwoofer wiring question and the response is something like do a search before you ask a basic question and “poof” that member is gone. Plus that forum seems to be more SPL oriented. Nothing wrong with SPL, just not my thing.

I remember when a certain very pessimistic troll got all over you when you first joined there. This place is losing traffic too. Seems like everyone is migrating to CarAudioJunkies. ;)
I am on there too... I made an account because you never know right. Yeah when I first got on the other site it was a bit rough lol.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got home from work a little while ago and there was a package for me...

Plastic housings but all and all they feel good in the hand. They have some weight to them. With the Alpines on the way, I don't think I will install these in the G6.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I am bored and decided to download and read the manual for my 3Sixty.3... A while back I measured my speakers distances, subwoofer, left door and right door and entered the distances into the DSP. Sounds good, left is left and right is right... but apparently my delays are WRONG!!! Apparently I am supposed to reference the furthest speaker at 0 inches and subtract the right door distances from the original sub distance then do the same for my left doors distances. I wonder how wide track 17 (the 7 drums track) on the IASCA disc will sound after I properly set the delays.

I understand why I am supposed to do it, I just figured the DSP was smart enough to do it based on the measured distances I entered. Guess not. Well, tomorrow I will remeasure with more accuracy and then set the delays "the right way". This should push the left door speakers out to the left more and push both doors forward. Once the Alpine tweeters are back in the doors, the soundstage should also rise. I may actually be getting excited about this seemingly endless amount of constant and ongoing tuning.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well then... I re-measured and reset all the distances like I am supposed to and just when you were thinking things sounded fine before, you set things correctly and they sound even better. Of course now that I know what the corrected distances are doing to the sound I can play around with them to tweak or fine tune the sound stage. By the way, the sound stage shifted big time. When listening to the IASCA disc, it is imaging the center of the sound stage at the center of the dash. This is all good practice for when I get my 4 channel amp back, get my replacement Alpine tweeters and am running 6 channels fully active up front. I measured to the speaker grill openings on the doors and to my respective ears (Right Door-Right Ear / Left Door - Left Ear). I measured to the grills because that is where the sound is coming from. I know some people add some distance to cover the gap from the door panel to the actual speaker. My thought is, that will throw it off as the non perforated panel is now in the way. The sub was measured through the folded down rear seat 4 inches forward of the headrest at head level, centered and to the closest corner of the box face where the sub is mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a diagram of what my system will be for a while. The only thing that may change is I may go with a single Dayton Ultimax 10 or I may add a second RF P3D4 10 and run them at 1ohm. It's nice to lay it out and see the whole thing.

System:

HU - Kenwood eXcelon DMX706S
DSP - RF 3Sixty.3
4 Channel Amp - US Acoustics Barbara Ann
2 Channel Amp - US Acoustics Wendy
1 Channel Amp - US Acoustics Mike
Sub - RF Punch P3D4 10"
Mid-Bass - SilverFlute 6.5" 4ohms
Mids - DD Audio 2.75" 4ohms
Tweeters - Alpine SPX-17Pro Ring Radiators

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WooooHoooo! Just got notified that my Alpine Tweeters have cleared customs!! Still haven't heard back from US Acoustics about my amp. They said they would send me a tracking number several days ago and I got bubkiss. On my next non rainy days off I am going to run two more runs of speaker wires for a total of six pair, 4 x 14awg and 2 x 16awg to the doors. All ofc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am getting frustrated with US Acoustics. My broken amp has been in their possession since 11/01/2019 and they said they would be sending me a new replacement. I called them Monday the 4th and inquired about my amp. Mike told me he had been gone for a while and that he would check on it and call me back. I had to call him back. He said that it hadn't been checked in yet but if he couldn't get my replacement sent out that day he would get me a tracking number the next day. It is now 11/12/2019 and I just called them. No answer so I left a message. 8 days and I still don't have my amp... this is not cool.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts