DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, time to start keeping track of how little I know about this stuff.:)

This log will be starting in the not so normal place... At the end.
I was too chicken **** to post up my first build, as I was just really learning how to do this right.

Still am, so be gentle. Lol

The vehicle is my daily driver 08 Chevy silverado ltz ccsb.

Some minor exterior accessories to get the truck the way I like it. I wanted a little more aggressive stance, so she was fitted with a readylift 2.5" leveling kit, and 3" rear blocks.

Pulled the factory 18's and went with some nice American racing chrome wheels. Fitted them with some 32" Nitto trail grapplers

Few other cosmetic additions were blacked out bow ties, black chrome grill insert, etc.

And now on to some of my audio adventure...

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My goal for the truck was my first attempt at a sq setup, that would have reasonable output.

I came from the old, throw in an amp and subs, and that was a system... Very sad I know. But, now 15 years removed from that, it was time to learn the right way.

I started researching the net, and started figuring the equipment I would want.... This is also how I found this site, that I dump hours a day into anymore. Lol

I decided on the pioneer p99 for my source. It's sleek looks, and tremendous processing ability in one unit, was exactly what I wanted.

I placed a big order with knuconcepts for all my cables, and placed a massive order with second skin. Lol there were very large and heavy boxes arriving at my house daily it seemed.
I remembered the amps that made me drool when I was younger, and started hunting for some oldschool Orion goodness...

But unfortunately, I experienced some 'technical difficulties' that kinda fried me on using old school stuff... But damn they were pretty. Lol would've loved to make them work.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now when it came to picking out my front stage, I was drawn to rainbow equipment. I wanted something smooth you could listen to for hours with no fatigue.

After reading reviews, for what seemed like weeks, I placed an order with woofersetc (yeah, I know better now)

I opted for the profi line, starting with the cal 26

For my mids, I went with the profi plug

And for my midbass, I went with the well known profi kick.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My initial plan was to run the kicks in the factory door location, and the plugs and cal 26's in the kick panel. After some reading, I was worried about the rainbow effect so I purchased some CDT upstage crossovers and a second set of cal 26's to place up in my sails.

Okay by now, I'm sure you've noticed that I haven't said ANYTHING about how they sounded or how I aimed them...

Like I said earlier, I was learning, and went about this totally wrong! I didn't listen to any drivers before I purchased anything, I didn't experiment with placement, I just got the stuff based off what I read on the net...
Yeah I had/ have a long way to go. Lol

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, like i eluded to earlier, I don't have many build pics up to this point. I just wanted it done. Lol but this will improve as I tinker, adjust, and change things out.

I pulled the interior and applied serious amounts of damplifier pro, and ccf foam. Everything was treated except the roof, but that is on my list of future projects.

The electrical system was beefed up by replacing the starting battery with an optima yellow top.

A second yellow top was located in the vacant spot in the engine bay.

All connected with knuconcept 0awg. What was left over was allocated to the big 3 upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When it came time to run some power into the cab, I had a terrible time trying to find access through the firewall.
It appeared that it's double walled, with a good amount of space between the outer and inner walls... Meaning a real PITA to fish through.

So I figured I would run it outside the cab, down the drive side frame.

I got some of the grey conduit used for running home wiring... The factory clips on the frame fit it perfectly. Zip tied it for additional support. Worked like a charm. Lol

I then drilled up through the floor just inside the rear seat support. I used a streetwires 0awg grommet to secure the cable. It's a nice unit, I haven't had a single leak from it being there.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, tapatalk can be irritating!
Type up a big narrative.. go to upload pics... Force close! :(

Anyway, I wanted to do a kick install, but I was pretty intimidated by fiber glassing. So I grabbed some qforms and started modifying them. Little bit of liquid nails and damp pro on the backside, mdf ring cut for the baffle, coated it with some spectrum.... Not to bad. It was very solid and heavy once complete. I'd just deal with how it imaged for the time being.

I wanted a second set of cal 26's up high for ambient needs, and decided on the sails.

Unfortunately, how the panel angles, it has the tweet firing down towards the dash. It would have to do for now, but I address it later in the build...

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the profi kicks, I planned on using the factory location in the front doors.

The doors were fully treated with damp pro and ccf. All open areas were sealed off with a sandwich of roofing tin and damp pro. The sandwich was then self-tapping screwed to the door, and All was covered with ccf.
The door cards were also treated with damp pro, spectrum and ccf. All empty voids were filled with expanding foam. They are very solid with very little vibration even at full volume.
However this will be tested in the near future... I have some sls 8's on the way. We'll see how well they hold up then. Lol

I've noticed several build logs with guys making fg panels to seal the door, and I think I'll be trying this as well. Putting the 8's in will give me a great opportunity to revisit the door treatments.;)

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, to revisit the amp situation. Beings old school was out, I set out to find something a little different...at least to me anyway. Lol
I found these beauties..

Plan was to run each bridged, one to the right side and the other to the left. Man did it sound nice too.

This monster will be running my substage, a JBL bpx2200.1..over 2k @4ohm. and yeah it's a bit over kill... But no shortage of power! Lol

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Great job so far, looks like you are having fun with it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great job so far, looks like you are having fun with it. :)
Thanks for the interest guys! Yeah, I started the build a year ago. What I'm posting up now are the small things I did document. Lol
Yeah I'm having a blast! I find that the build and tinkering, swap this, tweak that, is the best part. I love when it all comes together, but I'm always looking to change or better some aspects of it.
Lots I'd still love to do... And will with time!
Thanks for tuning in... Lots more to come.:)

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like this build already, those Twister Series look great along with everything else. I need more pics!!!

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay here is why 2k in power may be a little much... I planned on running 4 ID8's lol

Not what you would consider power hungry, or spl subs. But with The JBL's gain all the way down, and using caution in setting it up, it worked quite well. In the long run, it's wasn't what I wanted as far as output though.
The box build for the ID's and amp rack I did document pretty extensively, so lots of pics of that coming up.

Anybody that owns, or has done a build in a nnbs Chevy/GMC, knows it's pretty limited on where you can put components. Behind the seat is out... When the seats fold up, all free space is gone. Under seat is okay for maybe a single sub and an amp or two. But when you want multiple amps and subs, you have to get creative...

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn force closed again!

So anyone who owns, or has done a build in a nnbs Chevy/GmC, knows that space for components is limited. Nothing behind the seat, as this area is filled by the seats when they are folded up.
Under the seat is okay for a single sub and amp, but won't work when you want multiple amps and subs.

What I did was source some 3" steel C channel and had it cut into 3-4" sections. I then laid out the appropriate mounting locations and drilled them out. This allowed me to raise my rear seat by 3".. not too bad.
So I had the area I could use, and the equipment to fill it. Next step.. pen, paper, and a lot of number crunching. Lol
What I ended up with was a sealed down firing configuration. The Twisters would be mounted on top, and the JBL would be behind them in the center.
Pics to follow...

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

The black you see is spectrum, I used it to deaden, seal, And as a high build primer of sorts. Worked really well.
The subs will have aprox 1 1/2" clearance from the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is 3-4 layers of spectrum, sanded, then painted black. It almost gives a black abs appearance, and I was pleased with how it turned out.

This is it still drying. As you can see it was on quite thick...

1 - 20 of 260 Posts