DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to get a better sound from my truck, below is a list of the current equipment that is installed.
Alpine 9887, Boston SX60's (mid in doors and tweeter in factory location), Powered by a Lunar L40x2. Probox with two DD 1510 subs under the back seat powered by a Lunar L1500 (500 rms).

I am using the crossover that came with the Boston Speakers and the crossover in the amp. The subs are crossed over in the sub amp at 88 hz.
The factory rear speakers are powered by the Alpine radio.

More output is not a concern for me I am only looking for a better all around sound. Right now I am very limited on certain types of music that actually sound good. I had used that Alpine processor when you place the mic in several locations of the vehicle and I am not sure if I like the results from that. I know that the sub box is very limited and I may have to change it because the bass only sounds good on certain rap songs.

What should I do, change the sub box?, new components? I have extra amplifiers at home so adding more power is no problem. New speakers in back doors for rear fill?

I replaced the original subs with Digital Design 1510's
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
What are your xover points/slopes?

Turn off the rear-fill speakers for now.

Try listening with only the front components on. Do they wound ok compared to other components you have heard? If so then turn on the subs and try different points/slopes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are your xover points/slopes?

Turn off the rear-fill speakers for now.

Try listening with only the front components on. Do they wound ok compared to other components you have heard? If so then turn on the subs and try different points/slopes.
To be honest I am not sure what the Xover points/slopes are set at, I will check later. I do remember that the media expander is turned "on". I am actually using the EQ mode from the Imprint setting, but not always. I replaced the Boston SX60's with the Boston Pro series. I tried the Pro series for a few days and decided that the cost difference was not worth the difference in sound so I returned the Pros and re-installed the SX60's. In my minivan I have a set of Digital Designs DAW6.5 components and I love them. I am powering the DD components with a Lunar L2125, (2x125 watts rms).

Its hard to explain but when the "Imprint EQ mode" is activated it sounds like the mids are garbled at times. I can honestly say that I prefer the sound using the Imprint mode but at higher volumes it does not sound correct. Maybe I am under powering them? right now I am using a Lunar L 40x2 amplifier and it appears that it provides enough power to the components.

thanks for the suggestions, I will check those settings. Maybe I never set the Alpine correctly. I purchased the radio in early 2008 and I am sure that I still do not know how to properly set the features.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I wouldn't invest on rear fill unless your front and sub stage is complete to your liking. Get to know your head unit and how it works (I'm in that process) i remember a while back my audio sounded bad, but the problem was on my head units settings and i thought it was my speakers. This may be the problem on your setup, especially if you don't know how to control the head unit. I'm no expert, i'm learning on all these topics...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't invest on rear fill unless your front and sub stage is complete to your liking. Get to know your head unit and how it works (I'm in that process) i remember a while back my audio sounded bad, but the problem was on my head units settings and i thought it was my speakers. This may be the problem on your setup, especially if you don't know how to control the head unit. I'm no expert, i'm learning on all these topics...
Yeah I may have to read the manual, I never opened it since I bought the radio.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yeah I may have to read the manual, I never opened it since I bought the radio.

Which reminds me, i haven't looked into the manual for the head unit that i purchased a while back either. I'll have to pull it out an start reading so when the head unit is installed i'd have an idea on it's settings. Goodluck

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which reminds me, i haven't looked into the manual for the head unit that i purchased a while back either. I'll have to pull it out an start reading so when the head unit is installed i'd have an idea on it's settings. Goodluck
I checked some of the settings and I noticed that I preferred the sound when I turned on the Defeat. I guess I may be over equalizing.
Good luck to you also

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I turned off the rear speakers and made some timing adjustments on the radio. It sounds a little better. I built two separate boxes for the DD 1510's and I have them on the back seat. The bass is noticeable louder but the bass still lacks in some songs. I went with 1.5 cubes per driver and maybe I should have went with 1.25.

I am looking into replacing the DD 1510's with some Diamond audio D6 10's or a single 12.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Before you start listening to so many people telling you to buy this and buy that, let's look at what you have and make the most of it as a starting point.

First, you have an Alpine 9887 and not getting the max potential out of it. Have you considered running the Boston set active? You would need to invest in a quality, yet cost effective 4 channel amp.

Next, look at your install. Have you treated your doors? What about deading the doors? Positioning the tweeters along with this to see if you can help your image. Run the Alpine 9887 active and investing in a 4 channel amp would do wonders. Install is everything. Doesn't matter if it's a $5 driver or a $500 driver.

Next, I'd look at different 10" subs that would work in the airspace that you have, with the box that you have.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before you start listening to so many people telling you to buy this and buy that, let's look at what you have and make the most of it as a starting point.

First, you have an Alpine 9887 and not getting the max potential out of it. Have you considered running the Boston set active? You would need to invest in a quality, yet cost effective 4 channel amp.

Next, look at your install. Have you treated your doors? What about deading the doors? Positioning the tweeters along with this to see if you can help your image. Run the Alpine 9887 active and investing in a 4 channel amp would do wonders. Install is everything. Doesn't matter if it's a $5 driver or a $500 driver.

Next, I'd look at different 10" subs that would work in the airspace that you have, with the box that you have.
I agree with you about the 9887, I made some changes in the settings and its getting better.

I forgot to mention that all the truck has dynamat extreme except under the carpet. I have a 4-Channel Lunar amp and I also have several other small two channels that I could use for active. You are not the first person to say go active. A friend of mine mentioned that a few days ago. I know the radio has a switch on the case to change for that feature. I will attempt this on Friday.

To be honest I was never really happy with the probox in my truck I believe its too small for ported. I have a pair of Lunar 10's at home but they need to be rebuilt.

Thanks for the help, I will post the results of the active set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts