DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a better fit a single JL 13w7 or 2 JLw6v2 paired with a RF 1500.1 bdcp?

The sheet that came with the amp said it does 1640 at 2 ohms, and 1220 at 4 ohms, but the w7 runs at 3 ohms??

Looking for good deep bass with some SQ on the side.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
What type of vehicle / enclosure will they be going in?

Although I tend to prefer single sub setups, it would be awfully tempting to drop a pair of 12W6 into a ported box with that amp. If you have the space, that should really slam.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of vehicle / enclosure will they be going in?

Although I tend to prefer single sub setups, it would be awfully tempting to drop a pair of 12W6 into a ported box with that amp. If you have the space, that should really slam.
It's going into a Yukon so I have tons of space. I already have the w6's since I found a good deal, but I would really like to use a single sub and get some trunk space back since I will be setting it up so that the box can be removed as needed.

I read the review posted on caraudiomag today and it just seems like a better fit for my needs if I can find one for a good deal plus it got all 9's out of 10. I was shocked to see the review showing it installed in a lexus 430 and getting 1500 watts at 1 ohm it hit 133 on their meter. I think the w6's got just over 100.

If I used my amp that shows 1940 watts at 1 ohm on the birth sheet in better box I may be able to get a little more SPL in my SUV. I don't think I'll get that level of pressure with my 2 w6's, but I have read that the w6's has cleaner bass so I might actually prefer the w6's in the long run.

·
Registered
202 Posts
don't go by those numbers in a lexus. totally different environment than a yukon and who knows the diffs in box design and cabin gain. Remember install is 90% of what determines output, 10% is determined by equipment. Since you already have the w6s put them in and see how you like them. Reading is good and all, but at some point you just have to try stuff out

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohh yeah I'm going to hear what I have already since I already have it, but I'm sure i'm not alone when I say I'm always looking for the next upgrade that will make my system bigger and better..

·
Registered
74 Posts
What would be a better fit a single JL 13w7 or 2 JLw6v2 paired with a RF 1500.1 bdcp?

The sheet that came with the amp said it does 1640 at 2 ohms, and 1220 at 4 ohms, but the w7 runs at 3 ohms??

Looking for good deep bass with some SQ on the side.
Not purposly going against what the rest of the guys are saying as I am sure all this comes down to install/vehicle but with my personal experience the single 13w7 I used to own was noticably louder and quite a bit louder in the lower frequencies than my dual 12w6v2 subs I use now.

With that being said I enjoy the two 12w6's alot more as they are more balanced to my ears for the variety music I listen to...I thought the 13w7 was a little bottom heavy in my basic install and I appreciate that the box my 12w6's go into is not nearly as deep as the 13w7....that 13w7 required a big heavy box and the depth it took up in my trunk was more than I wanted.

Both sub installs were in a 2 door Cavalier and both subs setups were in JL's reccomended sealed enclosures crossed over between 70-80 powered by a JL 1000/1 gains set with a multimeter and all EQ settings flat.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not purposly going against what the rest of the guys are saying as I am sure all this comes down to install/vehicle but with my personal experience the single 13w7 I used to own was noticably louder and quite a bit louder in the lower frequencies than my dual 12w6v2 subs I use now.
Thanks for the insight. I know you have to hear the subs and I have one a couple of installs with a w7 and actually enjoyed the bass. I listen to mostly rap / r&b so I'm looking for heavy low bass and from what I've read the w7 is a little better at it, but I also listen to classic rock and jazz. Not sure if the eq will be able to tame the bass when listening to music outside of rap, but it would be nice to have a bit more boom on demand. I still can't get over the review saying a single w7 hit 133!!! This compared to a pair of w6's only getting slightly over 100 or so just has me foaming at the mouth.

What does a used boxed w7 go for now and days? I couldn't much of anything to go by on eBay.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I still can't get over the review saying a single w7 hit 133!!! This compared to a pair of w6's only getting slightly over 100 or so just has me foaming at the mouth.
This is install dependent not driver dependent. 100db is extremely quiet for a pair of w6's and there had to be something with the install that was not right. 133db from a single w7 isn't that spectacular, hell someone has gotten 151db out of a single 8" Sundown sa-8.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I know you have to hear the subs and I have one a couple of installs with a w7 and actually enjoyed the bass. I listen to mostly rap / r&b so I'm looking for heavy low bass and from what I've read the w7 is a little better at it, but I also listen to classic rock and jazz. Not sure if the eq will be able to tame the bass when listening to music outside of rap, but it would be nice to have a bit more boom on demand. I still can't get over the review saying a single w7 hit 133!!! This compared to a pair of w6's only getting slightly over 100 or so just has me foaming at the mouth.

What does a used boxed w7 go for now and days? I couldn't much of anything to go by on eBay.
No problem, I listen to alot of classic rock also and the w6's do very well with this never was ale to fully enjoy the w7 with this type of music but I do realize this is not realy the subs fault as I am only able to get my mids down to around 75hz...if I could get them to say 65hz or 60hz and cross the sub over lower it could be a totaly different ball game...I do not listen to rap very often but when my friends listen to it on my system the 13w7 did alot more with this music bass wise and definatly impressed more with it than the w6v2.

I am not knocking the w7 at all I am very impressed with what this sub can do it's just I feel someone has to have a kick butt install all the way around to fully realize the potential of it...A guy that works at a shop close to me to me has a 13w7 with a JL 1000/1 on each coil and an all around great install and it is amazing to see what this sub can do with the extra juice.

A custom box for a w7 can cost alot as they are usualy made out of a thicker MDF there are a few decent boxes on ebay for a good deal but you have to read the specs over realy well and make sure they are the correct dimensiosn...it also seems the ported boxes are often tuned way to high but the sealed boxes are about right.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How important is the box in getting good results?

In the past and I mean 80's past most of the boxes I used was based on if it would fit in my truck or not. Now that i'm putting together a budget system 20 years later the stuff is light years apart from what I have worked with. Just out of curiosity I looked at some boxes on ebay and found something pretty interesting albeit it the cost is over $500. Would getting a box that involved and expensive really make a HUGE difference? I mean could you it justify paying $500 for a box???

LINK TO THE FAT BOX ON EBAY

·
Registered
74 Posts
How important is the box in getting good results?

In the past and I mean 80's past most of the boxes I used was based on if it would fit in my truck or not. Now that i'm putting together a budget system 20 years later the stuff is light years apart from what I have worked with. Just out of curiosity I looked at some boxes on ebay and found something pretty interesting albeit it the cost is over $500. Would getting a box that involved and expensive really make a HUGE difference? I mean could you it justify paying $500 for a box???

LINK TO THE FAT BOX ON EBAY
Thats a heck of a box but I couldnt personaly justify spending that kind of money.

The box is actualy more important than the sub itself...wood thickness is very important for a sub especialy a sub as heavy as the 13w7...you should look for a box atleat 3/4 MDF and 1 if not more inch front baffle for the sub to mount to...if it were me I'd 1 inch all around for the 13w7 and still double up on the front...then you have to make sure the sub is working with the right amount of airspace to perform well....if these essentials are not met you can seriously be outddone by somone with a $5 flea market sub if they went the extra mile on there box.

Here are some affordble boxes that could work or you could spend some money and have a custom box made...maybe someone else can post some reccomended box builder's for you to look into.
sealed box--> 13" SEALED JL AUDIO® 13 W7 MDF SUB ENCLOSURE 13W7 BOX - eBay (item 360338184497 end time Feb-20-11 16:03:53 PST)

Ported--> 13" PORTED JL AUDIO® 13 W7 MDF SUB ENCLOSURE 13W7 BOX - eBay (item 200571704921 end time Mar-03-11 00:06:57 PST)

That company on ebay sells a quality box for the price.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the feedback I have been doing a little bit of research on boxes and those look like they are made to fit based on the JL specs, but my biggest questions is would that fat box with the chambers, and all the extra stuff make that same sub sound twice as good? I don't think I would ever spend $500 on a pre-made box either, but I still wonder if that box makes much of a diffence?

Based on the info they did a lot of research and really came up with a frank n box, but how much of that is marketing and hype?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just don't feel right saying that the Fat Box is worth it. It looks like a very strong well built box and as much as I like overkill in a box there is a certain point where the overkill would lead to less and less of difference with that kind of cost involved.

Maybe someone else with experience can chime in about that box as I don't want to mislead you on it but I don't see this box as anything special as far as sound goes like they try to brag about about in the description but it does look sturdy.

As far as the links to the boxes I sent you when I had my 13w7 I built my sealed box first then later on I ordered that same ported box in the link I sent you and it was very well made and makes me wonder how they can build such a nice box and sell/ship it out for that cheap.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I think that box is SPL guys and although I want to SPL I want a balance between SPL and SQ and not one or the other.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had my system setup for a week or so and it sounds great even without any fine tuning. The subs have a LOT more accuracy then any of my previous subs and do get loud. They can handle a bit of low bass, but I will admit it's not a SPL sub by any means so on certain rap songs it doesn't get anywhere as low as the DD I tried and the 13w7 I tested out in my truck.

With that said I'm happy with my decision because the DD although sounded great and had a ton of pressure on when playing a bass cd it did a horrible job on some of the rock and jazz cd's I tested out. Plus it gave me a bit of a headache after 5 minutes of all that pressure anyway.

The 13w7 did a much better job on the rock and jazz, but was still just too much low end bass to sound realistic in my opinion. I had to turn the bass way down to just balance it out and even then the bass was still very deep and low which just didn't sound right on several tracks.

I'm still considering on going with a 3rd JL12w6v2 in a custom box or just upgrade my existing box. I already have a ton of bass with the amp pushing 1100 watts at 4 ohms, but it would be nice to increase the bass level and loudness when you need it and the amp can still go as low as 1940 watts at 1ohm.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm going to bring this thread from the dead :)

Just because I have to compliment fatbox, I started with jl's prowedge and then switched to a custom ported and finally I'm ENDING it with that fatbox comp , this thing is a monster!!!! And it even sounds better than it looks :) I gained almost 5dbs from just switching boxes in my 350z all is being pushed by a PDX 1.1000 ,

I'm telling you out of personal experience that this box Is Worth EVERY penny :)
Unless your going to build it urself, and play with numbers then go ahead but if you want to just eliminate the guessing game and do the best, well you got ur answer in front of you

GL

·
Registered
125 Posts
$500 for a box ? You must be kidding !!!
Find something else, or just build your own. You can have custom designs for cheap easily. You need a box with a 32 Hz tune. You don't even know the tune on that fatbox : how will you set the subsonic filter on your amp ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
#'s don't lie bro :dunno:

This is my third box on the SAME exact sub/amp , too each his own.... FatBoxUSA did there homework on this box... So I don'tind paying extra for there r&d , too each his own

You can make anything loud bit will it sound good is the question

1 - 20 of 60 Posts