DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here it goes, after all that talking and dreaming, I'm going to commit.

1.5k to spend:

Sound Deadening (raamat) 200

HU: Pioneer AVIC F90BT 500

AMP1: Kenwood KAC X4R 200

AMP2: Planet Audio BB150.4 bridged to mono 100

Wiring: Kicker 05PKD4 (4gauge) 50

Sub+box: DIYMA R12 + 7cft box 140

2-way front 300

RCA: Kicker 05SI43 3-Meter 4-Channel S-Series 10

Speaker cables: DIY cat 5

I have the sub and box, speaker cables already.
The speakers are still being determined, I've read alot in the past months, and will make a decision very soon.

Questions:

1. Will the wiring kit be sufficient? Should I go with 1/0 gauge such as Phoenix Gold AKIT1? But if I get the akit1 what extra stuff will I need to hook up the 2 amps?

2. Is it a good idea to bridge the 4 channel amp to power the sub? I choose it because its a best $/W I can find and gives me the option to go 3way in the future. Its 150 x 4 @ 4ohms, and 600 x 2 @ 4 ohms.

I just want to know if I'm doing the right things, choosing the right components. I've been asking questions and reading and thinking alot, and its time to commit. So unless someone points out something i should be aware of, I will click the buy button tonight.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would buy a small and decent class d amp for the sub, and power the speakers from the head-unit. Untill I can afford a second amp for the speakers.
I think it's not a good option to bridge this amp to power the 2 voice coils of this sub(you can't bridge it again to one channel !!).
just my 02cts!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looks pretty good. I can tell you've been doing your research! Kudos to you for taking the time and effort to do this right. As to your questions:

1) I like to go with 1/0 power wiring, even if I don't really think I technically need it. It's one of those things you never want to have to go back and redo or worry about it holding you back. There's a certain piece of mind that comes with the feeling that you did it "right" the first time and never have to worry about your power wiring again -- especially in this hobby, where it's common to make changes to your first install in a vehicle.

2) Although the Planet Audio amp seems to be a great value, it might not be the best choice here for a few reasons. For one, it's missing a remote bass knob capability which a lot of people like to have. Second, It's pretty huge to use just as a 600 watt sub amp. Third, it doesn't have an infrasonic filter, which would be a nice precaution to help prevent damaging the DIYMA 12.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
remote bass knobs are typically a bad thing.

bass boost is fail. (+6db usually means clipping pretty hard)

your head unit should have subwoofer level to allow you to turn it down.

I ran 0 awg when I didn't need it because I knew I would eventually.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Remember I found that PG 1/0 gauge wire w/ fused battery terminal and other goodies for $65 shipped. That would be a solid option. They also have 4 gauge at $39 as well.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Oh yeah, you'll need a decent distribution block to run from 1/0 gauge to your 4-8 gauge for your amps. I like EFX distro blocks with MIDI fusing. For ground, I prefer to go straight to a shared ground point via direct wire from the amp to the point...instead of doing a ground distribution. That's just preference though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2) Although the Planet Audio amp seems to be a great value, it might not be the best choice here for a few reasons. For one, it's missing a remote bass knob capability which a lot of people like to have. Second, It's pretty huge to use just as a 600 watt sub amp. Third, it doesn't have an infrasonic filter, which would be a nice precaution to help prevent damaging the DIYMA 12.
Interesting that I posted this 2 weeks ago and no one had anything to say, so I thought I might as well just go for it and ordered the HU, the 2 amps, and the kicker 4guage wiring kit.

I was concerned about the lack of sub sonic filter, but after a bit of asking, I was told that this is only important in an IB install to control the very low freqs. In a small sealed box like mine i was told I don't need to worry about it. Is that incorrect?

Another reason why i got another 4 channel amp for the sub is to give myself the flexibility to go 3way or use rear fill in the future, if I decide to do so. Afterall, I get the impression that clean power is clean power, so if I ever want to change things out, I'd never need to worry about the amps as long as I have enough clean power to start with. IF I decide to not use the PA amp for whatever reason, I am also prepared to just use the kenwood to power the front + subs, which does have the sub sonic filter, amongst other DSP filters, but then I'd have to run the fronts passively. But thats the last resort.

I AM now a bit worried about the sub self destructing when I turn it up, I will have 600RMS for it and now it sounds a bit much. I never felt that I'd ever need to pump it super loud, but everyone has a different definition on what's 'loud' so I guess I'll just have to learn the hard way.

Everything is still in the mail, nothing has arrived yet.

I am also yet another step closer in building my front stage. I'm going to run the Aura NS6-255-8A (or Mach5Audio MLI-65 if I can get my hands on some) + Vifa D26NC55 (or an extended midrange e.g. Aura 2" whispers) I already have the tweets on hand so I guess I'll just have to try them out and see if I'm happy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts