DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about this box size for an Infinity 1060W? Or rather any 10 inch in this "class"?

It is pretty big, but I am just wondering if there are any downfalls, or if WINISD lies and it will sound bad?

Thoughts? What have you built that worked well for this box? I have room for anything from a 1 cubic foot to 2.0... that is not gross by the way.

And ported only... I have no preference for sealed

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I should also add that I am likely going to port 28-31hz. Still playing around for best idea

A infinity 1260W in the same 2 cubic foot box, tuned to 29hz has a slightly higher -3 value, but the ports have less air moving by 7m/s. 12 also has a 2db higher max spl and will hit lower by 4hz or so

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Try to verify the WinISD results by using one of web based box modeling tools.

BTW, I have modeled Infinity Reference subs for sealed box application, and WinISD suggested pretty large boxes as well, specially for the 12 inch subwoofer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone, though, ever heard a 10 in such a large vented box?

The 12, in WINISD... is better in every way... EXCEPT for frequency response... the 10 has a lower -3

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
If you want it deep and it does not xmax that sounds nice to me. I ran some Infinity 12s and in 1.25 sealed or ported they did not like under 40Hz, even IB they didn't. Larger ported was the only way to get them lower like they should be, but the spl was high if you like that sound. So winISD was correct with the 12s.

In the house I have a alphasonik 400rms 10 inverted in a bought 1cf ported to 27hz that is also stuffed. It sounds quite good in the house but never made it to a car yet. It seems happy in that but its not an infinity, but I bet it would have more output that low in a larger box.

Long ago I ran 2cf ported per 10 with a few different subs. The car would fit 4cf box in the hatch. It would hit 30Hz well even with cheap subs and I was liking that. It was very close to IB, close to IB quad 10s in other cars (using the same 10s). But the subs were on the sides in the rear and that car seemed to horn them up and out the hatch glass, port on top.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
without T/S specs, there is little we can do to speculate. if the VAS on that 10" is 5cuft or something, then it might require a big box. no way to know.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
What do you think about this box size for an Infinity 1060W? Or rather any 10 inch in this "class"?

It is pretty big, but I am just wondering if there are any downfalls, or if WINISD lies and it will sound bad?

Thoughts? What have you built that worked well for this box? I have room for anything from a 1 cubic foot to 2.0... that is not gross by the way.

And ported only... I have no preference for sealed
That sounds really big for a 10" sub ....check over your numbers and try a different program

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I had a pair of 10" blues (from stillwater designs) that required 2.5cuft ported each. so it is possible. without specs it is just speculation.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Made a model of a 1020w that is similar TS, it needs 2.5cf minimum to hit 30Hz. It might work a little smaller with cabin gain but at 2cf it rolls off hard above 30.

There 30Hz is -2dB from the peak at 45-50Hz. Just like the 12 they want to bang at 40-50Hz. It drops like a brick under 28Hz (tuning). If I wanted bottom anyway, this is how I would tune it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Okay.. well what is IB? I thought hard for awhile and couldn't figure it out

Also, T/S specs are as follows (copied and pasted from specs sheet - http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/108/1081060W.PDF)

RE: 3.59 ohms
VAS: 1.16 ft^3
FS: 29hz
QTS: .42
XMAX: 13MM

Thats the important ones. I will take screen shot of the WINISD now too

This image here (not the attachment is FULLSIZE, so click on the view fullsize bar to read what line is which, etc.)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
The 1060 looks a lot better than the 1020, it certainly gets lower. I'd pick the red line, but I tend to more bottom and more SQ over loud. If 40-50 is a peak I know I will not like it and have to EQ it. If under 40 is peak I will like it and can get rid of that peak much easier than the higher peak. But in the end it really depends on you and what you like, because the lower you go the lower your spl it takes more xmax usually.

IB=infinite baffle=no box=deck or seat mount, baffle only.

I had the 1260w in 1.25, even inverted, you can see why it died under 40Hz. There is no way it can get under 40 in a smaller box.

These are my pyle 15s into the rear seat after I installed the baffles, before the amp rack above them.

The lower line is how they model in the trunk and seem to sound that way too, they are very flat to 30 and good to 25 then they ease off (w/no EQ, in fact they might have a slight peak at 30-35 with tones by ear). The upper line is ported I wanted to see if I would gain anything but got busy with things and hardly have room for a port. If I gained half that I would be amazed, but it might not work at all. Flat to 20 with a cut at 30 there, it would be awesome. Output is more than I need, at crazy levels it will shave some bottom off as usually you start to hit xmax and these are cheap subs. But the idea worked, they are overkill so 98% of my use is very low xmax and they sound nice. I did see over 1" total excursion in unmounted testing.

These are the Infinity quad 12s I had IB before the 15s.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
none of those look too great.

1.6cuft tuned to 26 hz with an 80hz LP is pretty flat.

1060w.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not trying for flat response. I need a boost on the lower end so that the dynamics of the cabin will make it sort of flatten out..

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
the flatter the response the more natural it is going to sound. when you figure in cabin gain, you will have plenty of low end bass.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the car in question is a BMW e30 3 series.

Either way, I only have room for a MAX 2.5 cubic foot gross box.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
huh, if you were responding to me, I said 1.6 cuft.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, I see that. The lime green line on my graph is standard size and tuning that my buddy does for these cars. He ahs 35 years of professional installing and building experience.

These BMWs have around 20db of cabin gain in the 20hz frequency range, thats why I am not trying for flat response, I want a boost in the low end so the roll off from the cabin gain is smoother

1 - 18 of 18 Posts