DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a fellow Pioneer P99RS owner installed in an old sckool `98 Carrera C2S (993) .... What is the go-to active head unit in 2020? The Sony single-dial unit for about $1,500.?

I have a personal project with a similar Porsche acquired 10 years back, a `93 Carrera 911 Targa (964) Single-DIN, gotta be active. A P99RS would be fine, however, it was long in the tooth with functionality a decade ago. Sonically though, the P-99RS continues to rock!

Thanks in Advance

Cheers, Mike

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for a swift reply. .. The P99RS with its sonic character, OLED screen, w/outboard BT, Et Cetra is a good unit, still.
I was optimistic about the outboard DSP revolution and what impact on head units it would have. .. Question is, is the P99RS in production?

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just go Sony gsx 9 and give up on active. Active is dead. The last flagship was the pioneer p99rs or carrozera deh-p01.

There is a 80th anniversary dxt p99rs for bling factor.

The flagship of the Carrozera line dumped active decades ago.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thats
Thanks for a swift reply. .. The P99RS with its sonic character, OEL screen, w/outboard BT, Et Cetra is a good unit, still.
I was optimistic about the outboard DSP revolution and what impact on head units it would have. .. Question is, is the P99RS in production?

Cheers, Mike
Thats a good question. It dosent seem to be, in that you cant just order one up via the internet anymore. Some shops might be able to find one new but....
The High end single DIN HU seems to be gone. Its all about the standalone DSP now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Seems like you would want a headunit that plays lossless media with an output better than RCAS like say optical or something? Imagine a headunit that streams to your dsp... Are there any units like this?

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Seems like you would want a headunit that plays lossless media with an output better than RCAS like say optical or something? Imagine a headunit that streams to your dsp... Are there any units like this?
There really isn’t a “better” output than RCAs. Optical works well, and simplifies wiring, but doesn’t sound any better.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Possibly "jargon" is getting the best of us? ..

By "active" my use of the term is an active crossover point or points. Signal amplification is immediately ahead of a transducer. (Passive, on the other hand, suggest passive crossover points.) The P99RS in the Carrera S provides an active system.

Active via DSP with CH outputs via RCA termination is the basics of the P99RS, the Sony RSX 9 and others . .. Get me? Long live Active .... Until ....

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems like you would want a head unit that plays lossless media with an output better than RCAS like say optical or something? Imagine a head unit that streams to your DSP... Are there any units like this?
teh squirrel -
Ordered a Sony GSX 1-DIN (out-of-box) for evaluation. .. Thanks for the many acorns.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You only have two decent options - Pioneer or Clarion HX,... I would choose the later any time over pioneer,...clarion is also superb as a transport in combination with outboard DSP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS active 3 way crossover, remote, mic included for automatic time delay correction, flac, usb, Bluetooth, should have everything you are looking for

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS active 3 way crossover, remote, mic included for automatic time delay correction, flac, usb, Bluetooth, should have everything you are looking for
Although many of the Pioneers have network mode, it is very week compared the P99RS mentioned orignially. The P99RS has 4-way crossovers, and independent left/rigth EQ, just to name the big differences. A Pioneer with network mode can run a 2-way active, plus sub system, and it can sound very good, but the tuning options don't compare to the P99, and fall way short of a standalone DSP.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If you need 4 way processing in 1DIN chasis only Pioneer P99 and Clarion HX-D2/3 are option, all others have only 2-way + sub processing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts