DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this has probably been covered many times but I searched a couple of different ways and didn't find anything.

So would it be ok to have 2 different amps with a mono signal going to 1 dvc sub? 1 amp going to each voice coil? I know it's not the best idea because no 2 amps are exactly the same wattage. How about using the exact same amp with the gains set by the mini amp or piezo method...... would the outputs be close enough?

My first opinion was no but then I thought of the old days when everyone was running isobaric with 2 amps...... wouldn't that be the same thing?

Would it effect sq with the gains almost identical adjusted with a mini amp? why or why not?

·
Registered
372 Posts
No problem at all.
If you are worried about it, match the output voltages of the two amps with a single tone sine wave and a DMM. Easily done at a modest volume.
The sub itself doesn't care if you do, though.
You could intentionally wire them both out of phase and the sub would happily sit there doing nothing forever, as long as you kept it below thermal limits. Now, if you DO for whatever decide to do this, THEN you'd probably want to match outputs on the amps so the one set higher doesn't feed into the one set lower. *L*

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.