DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Will it damage the sub, amp, both, or neither?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
If the amp is rated at 2ohm stable and you connect it to a 1ohm load and crank up the volume, then YES, you will damage the amp eventually.
This ^

If it is a DVC sub you may be able to wire it to where it will be an acceptable ohm load for the amp. Don't go below the lowest ohm load for the amp or you really risk it overheating and roasting something.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Someone at caraudio.com had an issue like this within the last 10 days. He swore up and down he had no issues yet he also created a thread asking why his Amplifier which was only 2 ohm stable was going into protect mode and overheating as he had his P3 subwoofers running at 1ohm. Swore up and down it worked for months. We tried to tell him a few times just because you can do this doesn't mean you should and that over time it will cause issues and do possibly some serious damage to said amplifier. He just wouldn't listen to say the least.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Is it a test?
Or why have a poll for whether the spec sheet of an amplifier has value?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Listing says "internally wired to create 1 ohm load" meaning that i could change it if i opened it up and rewired it.
Interesting, didn't know RF did that with some of their subs. Well for now I would highly suggest not running it on that amp.

You may could locally post the amp for sale or trade and see if you could get something different that'd work. Also don't get 2 subs to change the load, if it's internally set for 1 ohm like you said, then 2 subs wired will run it to .5 ohms and your amp like you'd think, would hate it even more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting, didn't know RF did that with some of their subs. Well for now I would highly suggest not running it on that amp.

You may could locally post the amp for sale or trade and see if you could get something different that'd work. Also don't get 2 subs to change the load, if it's internally set for 1 ohm like you said, then 2 subs wired will run it to .5 ohms and your amp like you'd think, would hate it even more.

Okay, thank you.

·
Registered
350 Posts

That's not true. Two 1-ohm subs can easily be wired in series for a 2-ohm load.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone at caraudio.com had an issue like this within the last 10 days. He swore up and down he had no issues yet he also created a thread asking why his Amplifier which was only 2 ohm stable was going into protect mode and overheating as he had his P3 subwoofers running at 1ohm. Swore up and down it worked for months. We tried to tell him a few times just because you can do this doesn't mean you should and that over time it will cause issues and do possibly some serious damage to said amplifier. He just wouldn't listen to say the least.
Is it possible to change a 1ohm sub to a 2 ohm sub

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
With sub rated 2+2 you will be most definitelly above 1 ohm trough entire freq range that sub will produce, impedance will be lowest at the tunning freq. Also when VC get hot it will present a bit higher load, so combination of equipment might work if amp is of higher quality.
If your amp wont go into protect will be at stres to say at least and might fail. (I run SPL Dynamix EXT 3000D at 0,25 - amp rated as 1 ohm stable for dBDrag S-A)

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts