DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have finally made my mind on a new sub setup : a 15 SSA Icon, and the matching sundown amp.
I need to choose between 1 or 2 ohms DVC.

Is it safe to run an amp @ 1 ohm ? If it is good, I can try to have a sundown amp that puts out 1000 w rms @ 1 ohm.

I've always heard the higher the ohms were, the better it was for the car electrical system or for the sound quality.
What do you think ?:confused:
I already have JL amp (A1800D) that pushes 1000w rms @ 2 ohms, but I can sell it quick if needed !

thanks for all your info on this wonderful forum !!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
if you go with the 2 DVC you have your choice of 1 or 4 ohms, I'm a BIG PROPONENT of 4 ohms on a larger amp, I sincerely think they sound better. if you go 1 ohm DVC you have your choice between .5 or 2 ohms. I think it's a no-brainer to go with the 2D because it leaves your options much more open.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
I'm a BIG PROPONENT of 4 ohms on a larger amp
Yeah he is. He's already given me the 3rd degree more than once about running 1-ohm on my DVC 12's. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm running a 12 icon (2 ohm) that I got with one of those package deals. Nice subs. Try running it ported, I've always wanted to drop mine in a ported box.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you go with the 2 DVC you have your choice of 1 or 4 ohms, I'm a BIG PROPONENT of 4 ohms on a larger amp, I sincerely think they sound better. if you go 1 ohm DVC you have your choice between .5 or 2 ohms. I think it's a no-brainer to go with the 2D because it leaves your options much more open.
If I understand, I take the DVC 2 ohms and my amp will play at 1 or 4 ohms.
OK, but I need a really big and expensive amp to put out 1000 w rms at 4 ohms.
My current amp (Jl A1800D) does not play at 1 ohm, with a DVC at 2 I must change my amp, or it will give me only 650 w rms at 4 ohms.

Playing at 1 ohm : is it safe, does sound quality drop ?

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
If I understand, I take the DVC 2 ohms and my amp will play at 1 or 4 ohms.
OK, but I need a really big and expensive amp to put out 1000 w rms at 4 ohms.
My current amp (Jl A1800D) does not play at 1 ohm, with a DVC at 2 I must change my amp, or it will give me only 650 w rms at 4 ohms.

Playing at 1 ohm : is it safe, does sound quality drop ?
The question of whether or not it's safe depends on the amp. Some amps can safely play 1ohms, others can't. Some are even stable to .5 ohms. I run my subs wired at 4ohms because it pulls less current and keeps my amp cooler. I have a PG Xenon amp, so i can run anywhere from 1-4ohms and still get rated power, this is a nice option.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Stop concentrating on power numbers right now, concentrate on what the amp is going through. Sure, it's CAPABLE of being loaded at 1 ohm, your car is also CAPABLE of driving through corn fields, but if you do it all the time you will not reap the abilities of it's performance and longevity. Power does not dictate everything. I and many others here have found that if you take a dual 2 ohm from one ohm to 4 ohms and retain the same amplifier you will lose LITTLE TO NO output overall but it will sound better, the amp will run cooler, and it will pose less stress to the vehicles electrical system.

And before anybody says the word headroom remember that said headroom is chewed up really quick with a sagging electrical system and a hot amplifier.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Through the last few months I've come to respect a lot of what Chad says. He's telling you to go 4ohms when possible and if you crunch the numbers they start to make sense.

*THUMBS UP* for Chad.

p.s. I hate it when people ask how many watts I'm pushing :(

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The Alpine PDX1.1000 puts out 1000W @ 4ohms & it's small.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stop concentrating on power numbers right now, concentrate on what the amp is going through. Sure, it's CAPABLE of being loaded at 1 ohm, your car is also CAPABLE of driving through corn fields, but if you do it all the time you will not reap the abilities of it's performance and longevity. Power does not dictate everything. I and many others here have found that if you take a dual 2 ohm from one ohm to 4 ohms and retain the same amplifier you will lose LITTLE TO NO output overall but it will sound better, the amp will run cooler, and it will pose less stress to the vehicles electrical system.

And before anybody says the word headroom remember that said headroom is chewed up really quick with a sagging electrical system and a hot amplifier.
X2 :D

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
if your current amp is 650 at 4 ohms keep it and run it at 4 ohms.

if you are looking to get a 1000 watt amp vs a 650 watt amp the difference will be barely audible. (assuming they are both of the same quality) remember doubling the power gives you 3db increase at the most.

you could get that by building a more efficient box, keep your amp unless you don't like it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think this can be the best solution for now : I will keep my current amp until I can buy a bigger one. :D
So I will run @ 650w rms / 4 ohms and will see what it sounds like !
If it is not good enough, I will buy an amp here in the classified; I already had some great offers : thank you for everything!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts