DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 NVXvad2 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 RS180-4 Um12
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m close to hitting buy on two Epique 7” drivers and one UM12 but I want to see if anyone has any last minute suggestions. I already have a UM12 IB in my cargo floor and it would be a little less expensive to build a manifold and run two 12’s. The UM18 models very similar and would be an easy install as well. Seems like two 12’s is the best choice but like I said, just want to ask if an 18” might have some benefits that im overlooking. The 18” has like 2 more db at 20hz but it’s all that I see and it’s basically nothing.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I do use my cargo area and I think the 18” would take up much more floor space so any benefits I’m overlooking on the 18 would probably need to be substantial.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
i would go with the 12's too. So much easier than trying to work with an 18".

·
Registered
262 Posts
Two18"s would almost certainly have higher sensitivity, lower power compression, and lower distortion do to less power and excursion for the same output. Most of that is likely moot for IB, especially at normal listening levels.

That being said if your single 12" meets your needs and you aren't straining your electrical system I'd just go with adding a second. Save some money and still get a 3db increase in sensitivity at the least.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two18"s would almost certainly have higher sensitivity, lower power compression, and lower distortion do to less power and excursion for the same output. Most of that is likely moot for IB, especially at normal listening levels.

That being said if your single 12" meets your needs and you aren't straining your electrical system I'd just go with adding a second. Save some money and still get a 3db increase in sensitivity at the least.
The single 12 meets all my needs until I get low, then it begins to get flabby. The 3db gain is an added bonus to the goal of hitting the bottom octave without nearing xmax.

I generally listen at moderate levels and to a basic Audiofrog curve but when it’s time to quake some near subsonic material it is limited.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really want to know what the bottom bass note on jeezy’s “put on” feels like with enough cone area to really hit decent spl. I have to balance sub bass performance with cargo space/usability though and 2 12s in a tight manifold will be the most compact setup.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I really want to know what the bottom bass note on jeezy’s “put on” feels like with enough cone area to really hit decent spl. I have to balance sub bass performance with cargo space/usability though and 2 12s in a tight manifold will be the most compact setup.
The don't model quite as well but I'm sure the response would be usable with some EQ. Would net you 33.5% more displacement then a pair of the Ultimax's, not sure that's worth it though.

I feel you the even though my pair of RSS390HF's will be more then able to deliver for at least 99% of my listening... I'm still contemplating a pair of the UM18's... lol there's always that nagging "What if" to thought.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The other reason why I think I should lean towards a second UM12 is I'm slowly building up a collection of speakers. I have a set of cdt 2” widebands, fountek fr88’s, footwell enclosure with rss265ho and a JL 13w1 ported powerwedge. Soon my Dayton rs180s will join the pile and if I go with an 18” then the UM12 is gonna go on “the” shelf. The 13” powerwedge is my treasure even though it doesn’t sound that great from what I remember. It’s a little piece of history and it does quake on the lows.

Output device Font Rectangle Gas Clothes dryer

·
Registered
262 Posts
The other reason why I think I should lean towards a second UM12 is I'm slowly building up a collection of speakers. I have a set of cdt 2” widebands, fountek fr88’s, footwell enclosure with rss265ho and a JL 13w1 ported powerwedge. Soon my Dayton rs180s will join the pile and if I go with an 18” then the UM12 is gonna go on “the” shelf. The 13” powerwedge is my treasure even though it doesn’t sound that great from what I remember. It’s a little piece of history and it does quake on the lows.

View attachment 313372
It's easy to do have literally thousands of dollars worth of drivers I haven't even used because I'm indecisive and impulsive at times, most times. Although I finally have a set in stone plan...

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
It's easy to do have literally thousands of dollars worth of drivers I haven't even used because I'm indecisive and impulsive at times, most times. Although I finally have a set in stone plan...
My brutha from another mutha! Know that feeling and fortunately like you I have a plan and it’s near! Set in stone… y’all would laugh at me if I said that!
Tabby go for the two 18”s in a manifold and be done… for ever!!!

·
Registered
2018 VW Passat, Helix M Four DSP, Gladen Zero Pro 165.4, Gladen Zero 10 Pro
100 Posts
If you don’t get the 18s, you’ll always be asking yourself if you should have…..then eventually you will get the 18s anyways. Lol

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you don’t get the 18s, you’ll always be asking yourself if you should have…..then eventually you will get the 18s anyways. Lol
Somewhere in this thread things went from either one 18” vs two 12” to two 18” lol.

One 12” is allllmmmost enough low bass, just falls short on some synthetic bass. Two 12s with 1kw will almost definitely do the trick. If not I’ll do 3 12s lol.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Somewhere in this thread things went from either one 18” vs two 12” to two 18” lol.

One 12” is allllmmmost enough low bass, just falls short on some synthetic bass. Two 12s with 1kw will almost definitely do the trick. If not I’ll do 3 12s lol.
My bad misread and thought the original question was about two 12" vs two 18" subs. Constantly sleep deprived and most likely ADD. Why am I on this site when I need to be getting ready for work...

In that case though I'd most certainly go for the pair of 12"s in a manifold configuration.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m going for pure sq with some headroom. One 18 would absolutely provide what is needed. Two IB 12s 99% certainly will also. 👍

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don’t really know what sql is but I’m guessing setting off car alarms while sounding good is a good guess. I’ve never set off alarms and probably never will😎

·
Registered
295 Posts

View attachment 313372
If it were me I'd probably go for the UM18. Like another guy said, you might just always be wondering what it would have been like if only you would have got the 18. Plus having an 18 is just awesome. On a side note I have a JL 12w1v2 (same generation as yours) and I've always thought that sub doesn't get the reputation it deserves. I rock a 13Tw5 in my main car and in the other I'm always rotating subs, one being a 12w3, but man that W1V2 just always impressed the hell out of me and for my friends that are trying to get into the game its always the first sub I recommend.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 13w1 in that box absolutely throbs, no doubt about it. Over the course of the last 2 years I’ve bought two very clean subs that call to attention some of this particular powerwedge flaws. The Dayton reference 10 and Ultimax 12 just sound pure. I’ve also run the 2 10” version of that powerwedge that I bought new like 10 years ago and it was a strong subwoofer. I remember the 2 10” version did sound a lot more musical and your 2 12” version probably was nice sounding also. If I remember correctly the single 13” is just a little muddy sounding.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like another guy said, you might just always be wondering what it would have been like if only you would have got the 18. Plus having an 18 is just awesome.
I always will be wondering what it’s like to have an 18” IB and maybe some day I will have one. I’m a really simple and practical guy as can probably be see in most of my equipment choices.
For instance, I don’t “want” loud and impressive low playing midbass. I’ve been fighting hard trying to figure out a way to get 4-5” drivers on the dash and just do without the beefy midbass woofers and just let the subwoofer play higher. But the thresholds on hearing are too tight in that area so I’m gonna do a strong midbass install that has a wide response range to allow flexibility in crossover selection.
The subs also need to be compact because my Rav4 is a work truck and I use the cargo area. I really wish the one 12” could provide the appropriate low spl and be neatly tucked away. I would like to enter my car in a local sq comp now and then eventually and I feel like the current sub stage is enough as is already. But when I’m pumping some synthetic bass having fun I definitely need a little more.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
i have a NIB 18 for sale

Reactions: 420tabbycat

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ordered another um12 and two Epique 7”. I was needing a substantial reason to go with an 18” and I really only got “an18 would be cool” or “you’ll always wonder what could have been“ lol. But in all seriousness I definitely wanted the 2 12s to be the direction and I pulled the trigger. I’m thinking about making both 12” opposing firing left and right to nullify the force of cones. I’d love to discuss more about making a choice like 2 12s or one 18 just to learn more.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts