DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m looking for ideas / suggestions for a driver to use in a small, sealed enclosure. I confess I did post before but was very specific about the actual application and I think I may have stifled response inadvertently as a result – so hence the new thread with far wider scope…

So, I’m looking to create a list of current 10” subs with a max mounting depth of 5” (ideally 4.75” to give more cooling space behind), (there are numerous discussions across this and other forums but typically date 3 years or more ago so I’m looking to establish a current list for general reference as well as my own research).

To start us off here are some I’ve already found and modelled in WINISD (I have an enclosure volume of about 18l as I’m installing a custom box in an existing sub location);

• Alpine SWR-T10 (already advocated by bikinpunk but I’m trying to find something that will go lower on the WINISD models)
  • Earthquake SWS-10X
  • Helix E10W
  • Hertz ES F25.5
  • JL 10W1v2 (superseded? Don’t seem to be around)
  • Kenwood WR-W10F
  • MBQuart RLP254
  • Morel Elate SW10
  • Phoenix Gold SL10D2 (looks good on paper but can’t find anyone that’s actually heard one!)
  • Pioneer TS-SW2501S2 (concerned about price as it seems cheap – plot suggests it might be boomy / uncontrolled?)
  • Rockford P3SD410
  • SB Acoustics SW26DAC76-4

These tend to be shallows but I have managed to gain a n extra inch or so on depth so with a max of 5” I’ve got a gut feeling the answer will be in a standard driver with better xMax but just happens not to be to deep in construction…

Nay info, suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated – if you have experience of the driver then comment on the sound, bass extension and SQ / SPL would equally be useful to me (and others reading later I’m guessing)…

Many thanks :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed :) - consider it added

In regards to my specific application I just modelled it with WINISD and on paper both the Phoenix and Pioneer drivers go lower - do you have direct experience of the Diamond that tells a different story in a small sealed enclosure??

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just came across the Clarion PFW1051 which should also be on the list

(For my application it didn't model well but it is certainly a 10" sub with an MD of less than 5" so should be in the thread!)

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Have you looked at the peerless shallow mount?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Schmiddr2 - can't believe that as it is still recent enough to have some relevant drivers and I had honestly spent hours trawling the web and reading posts - that one slipped the net so to speak! Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
Keep an eye out for the JL 10TW3 to be released. It looks pretty stout and I am anxious to see how it performs compared to the others on your list.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'm running the Dyn MW182 in my doors due to it's 3" depth. It's a small 10" though. More like a 9".

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
Do you know when these are supposed to come out? They announced them back in January.
According to the video they posted on youtube, JL said hopefully by the end of the second quarter. But that has come and gone. So really, they could be announcing availability any time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The JL 10TW3 is where i went first, got very exited based on the TW5 and you can see in the technology how it would potentially out-perform others. I then researched and saw that they we due out right about now based on what was said when they announced them, and decision was practically made to 'take a punt' on one.

The I spoke to two distributors, one of which said they contacted JL. Both said that they had been informed not to expect them until well into 2013! :(

I licked my wounds, went back to the drawing board and ultimately started the threads here...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
X2 on the TW3. If I remember correctly, the 10" has 3" of mounting depth. According to a post on JL's FB on a fans status a couple of weeks ago, the TW3 was suppose to be out on Oct/Sep. I think the 10" on Sep and 12" on Oct if I remember the post correctly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's what I said - September 2012, but both distributors (one UK and one German based) were insistent they were being told 2013 at the earliest - if anyone has or can get a definitive answer from JL that would be good.

Looking briefly at past driver releases and dates it does seem that JL are very good at building hype / demand by marketing being 'optimistic' about actual ship dates.

I can wait until September, but until sometime in 2013 - i don't think so!!

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss Crew Cab
2,043 Posts
I see the Polk MM suggested above. I have 1 10 and 2 8's of these and can say they are very nice sounding subs.

These next two I have not heard but depth wise they fit the bill.

German Maestro 5 series 10" is less then 4" mounting depth and 5-10l sealed box range.

SB Acoustics shallow 10"

Note this one may not work for you with a recommended volumn of 1.2cft sealed.
Madisound Speaker Store

But it's depth is very shallow and it has an Fs of 24hz and is said it should be able to go below 20hz with cabin gain.

Wait what I just typed just sunk in....below 20hz with a shallow sub....I have to go model this one next to a couple others I am considering switching too. I'll be right back.

·
Registered
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss Crew Cab
2,043 Posts
SB Acoustics shallow 10"

Note this one may not work for you with a recommended volumn of 1.2cft sealed.
Madisound Speaker Store

But it's depth is very shallow and it has an Fs of 24hz and is said it should be able to go below 20hz with cabin gain.

Wait what I just typed just sunk in....below 20hz with a shallow sub....I have to go model this one next to a couple others I am considering switching too. I'll be right back.
While going to get the specs I see it has an 8ohm version that says it works well in a .5cft sealed box.

Just modeled both versions and they do look to go nice an low. The 4 ohm version seems stronger and slightly lower but needs a larger box. WinIsd started the 8ohm at .377cft and I tried it at .5 both seemed to be pretty close. I also tried it ported and WinIsd started at .571. The 4ohm sealed started at 1.4 but the QTC was .88. Dropped the box size down to 1.05 and QTC dropped to .77.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's what I said - September 2012, but both distributors (one UK and one German based) were insistent they were being told 2013 at the earliest - if anyone has or can get a definitive answer from JL that would be good.

Looking briefly at past driver releases and dates it does seem that JL are very good at building hype / demand by marketing being 'optimistic' about actual ship dates.

I can wait until September, but until sometime in 2013 - i don't think so!!
i would be real interested to see how these do against the Polk subs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.