Seas W18NX mids
Stock rear speakers
JL 10" Infinite Baffle sub
Stinger and Dynamat sound deadening

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Stock head unit and controls. You can scroll through the song list with the dial on the left side of the steering wheel and push it to select the song. The song list shows up between the stedometer and tach and in the dash display.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Sounds like quality gear for a nice car. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This model did not come with the B&O upgrade so the factory tweeters were in the dash. I purchased the B&O tweeters from Audi and had them installed in the factory A-pillars. For some reason the A-pillar cover did not come from the factory with the perforation holes molded in, so they had to be drilled out by hand. They turned out very nice and no one would know they were hand drilled.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next up the W18NX mids. They were installed in the factory door locations. The factory speakers are roughly 8" in diameter, but very, very shallow. I originally had the Lotus in there, but just switched to the Nextel. At some point in the future, I may try a 3way up front with a shallow 8" or 9" midbass in there. Hard to control the door resenance though... The nextel fit perfectly, but they are as about as deep as I could go. You can see they are offset from center to align them with the grill opening in the door card.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The factory subwoofer (IB) was replaced with a JL IB 10". The factory sub is very interesting in the way it was mounted. I will likely try the Image Dynamics and
AE 10" in the future. After having the Aliante 10" in my last install, I'm not really happy with the detail and accuracy of the JL (just my opinion).
An Accumatch was also used to drop the sub to a 2 ohm load in order to maximize the amplifiers output.

Attachments

·
4,981 Posts
hey! is this a B&O systemed car? love to get some more tips on it, since i may be working on a 2011 S4 with the BO system. so you used the ms8 to sum the stock outputs after the stock amp? or did you use a MOST pre-amp like the mobridge? a lil more info on how you accessed the signal would be most helpful :)

b

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey! is this a B&O systemed car? love to get some more tips on it, since i may be working on a 2011 S4 with the BO system. so you used the ms8 to sum the stock outputs after the stock amp? or did you use a MOST pre-amp like the mobridge? a lil more info on how you accessed the signal would be most helpful :)

b
Actually, this isn't the B&O system, I justed used the B&O tweeter in the factory location for ease of installation. No need for a pre-am like the mobridge... Sorry I couldn't be of more help in that regard.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound
hey! is this a B&O systemed car? love to get some more tips on it, since i may be working on a 2011 S4 with the BO system. so you used the ms8 to sum the stock outputs after the stock amp? or did you use a MOST pre-amp like the mobridge? a lil more info on how you accessed the signal would be most helpful

b

Actually, this isn't the B&O system, I justed used the B&O tweeter in the factory location for ease of installation. No need for a pre-am like the mobridge... Sorry I couldn't be of more help in that regard.
Thanks for sharing. I absolutely love the A5s. I almost got an A5 this past summer, but just not enough leg room in the back for our two teens. Another 3 years until the kids are out of the house and then I'll be looking at them again.

I'm very interested as well in learning more about how you handled the signal processing. I have a 2009 A6 and these two oem systems are very different, aside from the MMI HU. Mine is a standard oem / non-Bose system, but appears to have Bose p.o.s. speakers in it. The MMI is applying some really funky eq'ing to them to get them to sound reasonable. It has a 3-way driver system all in the front doors, but the midranage is blocked right behind the door handle. Brilliant, not.

Are you saying you just spliced in to the various channels ahead of the oem amp? I'm lost as to how you are supplying the MS8. Maybe a schematic diagram would help us out?

What's your impression of the general road noise? We have 18" Conti pro contacts highway tires and I am very disappointed with how much road noise comes through. I plan to tear into it over the Thanksgiving week to apply some sound dampening products.

Thx
Kenreau

·
Registered
59 Posts
This model did not come with the B&O upgrade so the factory tweeters were in the dash. I purchased the B&O tweeters from Audi and had them installed in the factory A-pillars. For some reason the A-pillar cover did not come from the factory with the perforation holes molded in, so they had to be drilled out by hand. They turned out very nice and no one would know they were hand drilled.
Nice addition with the tweeters in the A-pillars. How does the sound of the A-pillar tweeters compare to the dash location?

I would like to suggest you go ahead and router out that plastic for the entire opening of the tweeter (enough so you can see the driver diaphram inside). I suspect those small holes are still really restricting your potential sound quality coming through. Are they aimed to fire directly across? or aimed back in toward the listeners?

Thanks
Kenreau

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplicityinsound
hey! is this a B&O systemed car? love to get some more tips on it, since i may be working on a 2011 S4 with the BO system. so you used the ms8 to sum the stock outputs after the stock amp? or did you use a MOST pre-amp like the mobridge? a lil more info on how you accessed the signal would be most helpful

b

Thanks for sharing. I absolutely love the A5s. I almost got an A5 this past summer, but just not enough leg room in the back for our two teens. Another 3 years until the kids are out of the house and then I'll be looking at them again.

I'm very interested as well in learning more about how you handled the signal processing. I have a 2009 A6 and these two oem systems are very different, aside from the MMI HU. Mine is a standard oem / non-Bose system, but appears to have Bose p.o.s. speakers in it. The MMI is applying some really funky eq'ing to them to get them to sound reasonable. It has a 3-way driver system all in the front doors, but the midranage is blocked right behind the door handle. Brilliant, not.

Are you saying you just spliced in to the various channels ahead of the oem amp? I'm lost as to how you are supplying the MS8. Maybe a schematic diagram would help us out?

What's your impression of the general road noise? We have 18" Conti pro contacts highway tires and I am very disappointed with how much road noise comes through. I plan to tear into it over the Thanksgiving week to apply some sound dampening products.

Thx
Kenreau
Thanks, I really love the A5 too. You're right though, very very little leg room behind the seats. Even my 7 yr old complains.
I'll have to look at how my installer hooked up the MS8, but it's connected to either the factory stereo or OEM amp (not sure which). I'll try to figure out which.
All in all my road noise is very, very low. I get a little wind noise at the windows when it's windy, but the tires are very quiet. Absolutely love the car though!

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is one of my favorite Audi Coupes. The lines on that car are sexy.. nice build!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice addition with the tweeters in the A-pillars. How does the sound of the A-pillar tweeters compare to the dash location?

I would like to suggest you go ahead and router out that plastic for the entire opening of the tweeter (enough so you can see the driver diaphram inside). I suspect those small holes are still really restricting your potential sound quality coming through. Are they aimed to fire directly across? or aimed back in toward the listeners?

Thanks
Kenreau
We first tried routing out the tweeter area and insetting it with wire mesh, but it didn't turn out so well (aesthetically), hence the second set were drilled. I still get plenty of out put, sound quality is so, so I guess. (can sound a bit harsh at higher volumes)
The apillars fire nearly straight across the cabin. At some point I may try something like the Hiquphone in the dash locations (provided they will fit)...

·
Registered
278 Posts

b
If you end up doing the S4 w/ B&O please post up how you did it. I'm holding off doing mine because of the MOST system integration. Don't really want to drop $700+ just for the mobridge to plug into the factory system.
Sucks because the factory front speakers are good sizes and positions for dropping in upgrades.

OP - how do you like an upgraded sub in the shelf? Did your installer reinforce and deaden the heck out of it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you end up doing the S4 w/ B&O please post up how you did it. I'm holding off doing mine because of the MOST system integration. Don't really want to drop $700+ just for the mobridge to plug into the factory system.
Sucks because the factory front speakers are good sizes and positions for dropping in upgrades.

OP - how do you like an upgraded sub in the shelf? Did your installer reinforce and deaden the heck out of it?
Honestly, this weekend I'm going to do alot of playing with the sub crossover freq. I'm not getting the definition I'm used to (old system used and Aliante 10) and I think I might be crossed over too low (63hz). I don't get any buzzing or rattling from the back deck so that is good (it's well deadened), but then again the sub gain isn't up too high. It blends well with the front stage on most music, but it's just kind of blaaa right now. I want more definition and dynamics out of it. If crossover doesn't do the trick I may try a different sub. Would love to try the AE IB10, but those are rare. I'll post where my crossover and slope ends up.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts