DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  sqshoestring 
#1 ·
Hi,
I've got a 2007 M45 with the 8 speaker bose system and am looking to upgrade. The system currently has a 10" free air sub in the rear shelf. I am looking for recommendations on an IB sub that i can use instead of stock. I currently have no options.

Number of subs preferred: 1
Size preferred: 10"
Budget: below $250
Goals: SQ
Listening habits: Rock, RNB, Reggae, EDM

I'm coming from a pioneer champion pro and while it went plenty loud i never used it to max capacity since it was too boomy. I want accurate bass reproduction. If possible, I also need an amp suggestion for the recommended sub.

#2 ·
Acoustic Elegance IB10AU is likely going to be the best solution available. Ae's website is underconstruction but they go for $219. Drop them an email.

#5 ·
#7 ·
The Apollo upgrade is their branding for a couple of large aluminum shorting rings to decrease eddy currents and reduce distortion, thus improving quality.

It will help a little for your use, but it's more useful on their TD-series woofers which are intended to be run up to several hundred hertz or, in some cases, even up to 2kHz. That's why I didn't bother with it.

My AV15x run without it sounds amazing and the sound quality does not leave me regretting not getting the Apollo option. It's just that I occasionally find myself thinking, "The sound quality is already so good, but could it have been even better with the shorting rings?"

#9 ·
Not worth it unless you have no other purpose for $150. It is NOT snake oil but it's more useful above the frequency range you'll be using it for.

I don't have access to my modeling software right now, but if nobody else helps you, I'll try and model some stuff up and give you a few more ideas tonight or tomorrow night. Or you can grab something like WinISD yourself and do some modeling. An infinite baffle is just a very large sealed box so just model it like that.

#12 ·
After giving it some more thought i assume it will be better to run a sub in a small box in the trunk. Which SQ sub (10" of 12") can go into the smallest possible sealed box? Sealed because i live in Kuwait and don't trust local installers on making a good ported box.
Any recommendations?

#15 ·
After giving it some more thought i assume it will be better to run a sub in a small box in the trunk. Which SQ sub (10" of 12") can go into the smallest possible sealed box? Sealed because i live in Kuwait and don't trust local installers on making a good ported box.
Any recommendations?
Don't assume that, some very good SQ systems run IB subs and have no sub boxes to hog up room in the car. But if you like a tighter/boomy bass from a box have at it, though it is unlikely you will get as much output as a sub mounted in the deck.

#13 ·
Stereo Integrity BM mkIV 0.5cf

Have to buy one used though off the classifieds, as they no longer make them.

Why not do an IB12AU and mount it to a slightly bigger baffle below the rear deck, firing through the 10" hole?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.