DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for Opinions on 10" Midbass drivers for my truck project. I am hoping to get some insightful feedback, not recommendations based solely on the highest price. Below is some extensive info to paint a scenario they will be in. In my particular application, the most expensive woofers may not be the best choice for reasons I am not experienced with.

Anyways on to the choices:

Dynaudio MW182
Illusion Audio Carbon C10
Satori WO2P-4
ScanSpeak Revelator 10'' 26W/4867T00

Some background info to better understand the scenario:

Stage-
The midbass drivers will be in a 3 way front stage along with with Audiofrog GB15 tweeters in a-pillars, and Audiofrog GB40 midrange in kick panels. Subwoofers will be 2 Image Dynamics IDMAX woofers on between 800 and 1000w each.
(The kick panels are custom and 3.5" deep, so it's possible for the mids to be totally on axis. The tweeters can be on axis but not to the degree that the mids are.)

Power -
The tweeters and mids will share a Zapco 4ch amp with 100w a piece.
The midbass drivers will be on another Zapco 4ch amp, bridged. The model of amp is yet to be determined. Once I decide on drivers I will know what my power needs will be. For instance, the Dynaudios are power hungry, so 300w or more will be needed for them.

Application-
The truck they are going in has some custom fiberglass door panels made (solid fiberglass shell, pulled from a mold) that are 3.5'' deep.
The doors themselves have 3.5" of depth to the window regulators. So in all, I have 7" of depth up to about 14", then the door panels get narrower as they get to the window.
I calculated a possible 1.0 cubic foot enclosure can be added.
If I do run a sealed enclosure, it would be made of multiple layers of fiberglass mat, possibly some BB's laminated in, and layers of deadening material to make it as solid as can be.

Also, it will be mounted to the door using rubber decoupling pads.
All panels will have sound deadener and 1/8'' closed cell foam on the joining surfaces to eliminate any rattles.

Summary-
I know this may sound like a crazy and extensive project but I am trying to build a midbass monster!

Thanks for any feedback folks!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I love your driver selection (I’m a fan of all those drivers) but if you REALLY want midbass overkill I’d look at the B&C 10NW64 10" Neodymium Woofer.

It’s light weight (6.4lbs) so it won’t break your door, it has a recommended enclosure size of 0.9 cuft (so your 1 cuft is perfect), 96db of sensitivity, and you can blast it with all the watts you can give it. And they’re $165/ea from partsexpress.

Seems pretty perfect for this application.

EDIT: F3 might put the lower midbass too low, model it first in WinISD.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Bring on the composite build. Pick up some Soric.
https://store.acpsales.com/products/5635/aero-mat-soric-xf-
Hey thank you for that link, I was actually racking my head thinking of ways to make the midbass enclosure stiffer without relying only on layers of chopmat. Laminates like carbon fiber and Kevlar have been considered. I will really look into this some more. Is it made for acoustic applications? The name seems to suggest so anyways. Thanks again!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want cheap but still extremely good. Look at the peerless sls 10"

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Do they come in a 4ohm version? I didn't seem to find some but I will consider again if they do. The sls8 were amazing midbass drivers!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love your driver selection (I’m a fan of all those drivers) but if you REALLY want midbass overkill I’d look at the B&C 10NW64 10" Neodymium Woofer.

It’s light weight (6.4lbs) so it won’t break your door, it has a recommended enclosure size of 0.9 cuft (so your 1 cuft is perfect), 96db of sensitivity, and you can blast it with all the watts you can give it. And they’re $165/ea from partsexpress.

Seems pretty perfect for this application.

EDIT: F3 might put the lower midbass too low, model it first in WinISD.
Thank you !! Yeah I feel like I have narrowed the selection down to the point I would be happy with any of the choices! I just have no real experience with either of them to decide and all reviews seem to favor the illusions and Dynaudios equally.

But I will definitely check out your suggestion right after this post. That does sound like a great option as well! And the power handling is really something I have been keeping in mind for this midbass monster project. I will make sure to have enough headroom in this build!

Thanks again man!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
MW182 is really an 8" with an oversized basket. The displacement is 235cm2 compared to typical 10" of 350cm2. Still a good driver worthy of consideration.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Acoustic Elegance not a good option here? I've always thought of them when I thought of up front badass midbass.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Acoustic Elegance not a good option here? I've always thought of them when I thought of up front badass midbass.
That'd be a good option except that's a lot of weight you're talking about on the door hinges.

In the spirit of Midbass stupidity, I did some modeling:

Green: B&C 10"s - Vented SBB4 alignment tuned to 53hz w/ 400w ea [121.8db @ 100hz]
Teal: B&C 10"s - Sealed in 0.375 cuft w/ 450w ea (for a QTC of 0.5) [118 db @ 100hz]
Navy Blue: Audio Development W800 Neos in 1cuft each (QTC 0.67) w/ 200w ea [114db @ 100hz]
Red: Dynaudio MW182s 1 cuft each w 200w ea (QTC 0.943) [114 db @ 100hz]

The AD's and Dynaudios were given the power required to make them reach rated Xmax at a 70hz LR4 highpass. The B&C's come nowhere near their excursion limits somehow. Feel free to critique my modeling, I double checked but this is what I come up with.

I REALLY like the craziness of vented B&C 10's. They would require a tiny 0.32 cuft enclosure, with another 0.8 cuft in port volume with a 4" diameter port. Since you're building them in the doors, it'll probably be easier to come up with space for a tube. You could make them smaller and skip the SBB4 alignment, but that'll be best for sound quality.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any updates on this? Id be lying if I said I didn't have a personal interest as I'm considering bumping up to a 10" mid myself. Loving my 8" JBLs but 10s have always intrigued me.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
One quick note is that the Vented SSB4 alignment with the B&C 10's was lacking the 70hz high pass LR4 filter. So venting gets you about +2.5db at 100hz and +3.3db at 90hz.

Both options (vented and sealed) are wicked loud at 900w overall power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts