DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a Hertz HX250 or a 250D for a single-sub setup in the Cabin of my car. Wondering if I should use my Amp at 2Ohm with the Dual-coil or 4 Ohm with the single coil.

Details: I will have 3-way active front stage running at 35WPC from an Audison AP8.9 DSP. Rear doors will have 6-1/2 woofers or coaxials for fill. The sub will be in the trunk firing through the back seat where I will replace the center "ski-hole" with acoustic cloth. The car is a VW Passat CC. I mostly listen to Alternative music with a mix of classical, blues, and other acoustic music as well. Very little hip-hop or rap.

The sub will be powered by an Audison Prima 1D at 310W(4 Ohm) or 540W(2 Ohm). So the question is: should I get the dual-coil sub and wire it to 2 Ohm, or stick with the 4 Ohm sub.

Sub recommendations are fine, but I am really looking to answer the quesiton of Watts, Ohms, and coils.

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you get the 4 ohm coil, you'll be giving your sub the 310w. If you get dual 4 ohm coil you'll be giving your sub 540w. The sub's rating is 450w, so I would get the dual coil. Giving it 90 watts extra can't do any harm if the gain is set right.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
yes, less power is more capable of damaging the sub, give it more power and never need it I say.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
yes, less power is more capable of damaging the sub, give it more power and never need it I say.
Less power is never more capable of damaging a sub. If you're talking about the tendency to turn the gains up when you have an underpowered amp and cause clipping, realize that's not less power, it's more power, clipped power.

OP, get the dual 4 and wire it to 2 ohms. You can't wire a single 4ohm coil to get 2ohm power from the amp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.