DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If anyone is in SoCal, there's supposed to be a hundred thousand watts on tap at this Saturday's Excision show.

I'm not even a huge fan, but I'm going because I <3 bass and this type of setup is the kind of bass you can only hear in a few places. Last time I saw Excision the bass was so loud and deep it was hard to breathe :)

I've been to a few SPL contests, but this type of bass is on a whole 'nother level.

http://goldenvoice.com/shows/details/?id=246457

·
11,394 Posts
Excuse my ignorance as I am not into this kind of music in any way, but what exactly do you do at these kinds of concerts? Seems like MDMA, LSD, or something else would make the experience more fun.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Excuse my ignorance as I am not into this kind of music in any way, but what exactly do you do at these kinds of concerts? Seems like MDMA, LSD, or something else would make the experience more fun.
Lots and lots of drugs. And apparently endure epileptic seizures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFd7MHcYW1o

[email protected] comment "You know a vid is gonna be awesome when it has an epilepsy warning on it"

The bass at the Korn concert I went to about a month ago was pretty intense. They've gotten dubstep-y the past few years. Not sure what kind of power or cone area they're running. I don't particularly understand the draw to "bands" like Excision, nor am I sure I could tolerate 90 minutes of the live version of that link I just posted, surrounded by a bunch of people who "get it"... but the bass thing is cool.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing I like about a lot of these events is that they're taking the sound and the video and the music to a level where you can get an experience that's damn near hallucinogenic while stone cold sober.

My favorite example of this is Bassnectar. When you go to one of his shows, you're looking at this video screen that's the size of an IMAX theatre, with a wall of subwoofers that's the size of the stage. And the great thing about bass is that you can play it really really really fucking loud without hearing loss. So when the bass drops, it literally sucks the air out of your lungs. It's similar to the effect that you get when you're in an SPL car, where the bass hits and you feel it in your chest. But this is way way different, because you're in an audience with ten thousand other people that are just losing their shit.

I don't know if LSD would be a really hot idea, because the shows are already so intense, you might just get overstimulated. Basically LSD and MDMA can make some really boring shit interesting. But Bassnectar is anything but boring, it's a basic full tilt assault on your eyes and your ears.

(Full disclosure : I don't do drugs, and can't do drugs due to my job. I might have a couple beers at Excision, but that's the extent of it. Not that I have anything against it, I just can't do it personally.)

Things were definitely different twenty years ago; when I was in college the raves were WAY druggier than they are nowadays. But they're a lot more mainstream now, and that means that drug abuse isn't even close to what it was in 1994.

Over twenty four years I've been to about two hundred concerts, and I've only seen and heard a system this size three times:

1) Skrillex Mothership tour, PK Sound, 2011
2) Excision, PK Sound, 2012
3) Bassnectar, Rat Sound(?), 2012

I'm crossing my fingers that they bring the big guns to the show. It's advertised on the flyer. Then again, the Mad Decent Block Party and the Datsik tour in 2013 advertised it also, and they lied.

But I feel confident that Excision will bring all 100,000 watts (or is it 150,000 watts?) As I understand it, you can only set up a system this size in certain venues. For instance, when I saw Datsik I saw him at a nightclub, and a 150,000 watt system in a nightclub will probably have the cops close you down. The Mad Decent Block Party was held outside downtown, and a 150,000 watt system would probably wreak havoc on every business in a two mile radius.

That's the reason I'm driving up to Los Angeles to see Excision, instead of seeing him here in San Diego. (In Los Angeles he's playing at a Venue that's four times the size of the one in SD.)

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
"more fun" doesnt even scratch the surface lol

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lots and lots of drugs. And apparently endure epileptic seizures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFd7MHcYW1o

[email protected] comment "You know a vid is gonna be awesome when it has an epilepsy warning on it"

The bass at the Korn concert I went to about a month ago was pretty intense. They've gotten dubstep-y the past few years. Not sure what kind of power or cone area they're running. I don't particularly understand the draw to "bands" like Excision, nor am I sure I could tolerate 90 minutes of the live version of that link I just posted, surrounded by a bunch of people who "get it"... but the bass thing is cool.
The sound quality on this video is crap, but the reaction of the crowd when the beat drops gives you a general idea of how nutty it gets:

Bassnectar @ Bass Center VII - Intro "Here We Go" - YouTube

You can see the camera pan the crowd, and there seriously isn't a single person that isn't losing their marbles. I've been to football games, baseball games, trance shows, rock shows, you name it. Nothing comes close to how berzerk people get at a good dubstep show. It reminds me a little bit of the mid 90s when grunge was huge and when Rage Against the Machine or Ministry played the entire crowd would be moshing. Dubstep is basically this generation's heavy metal.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Well I love a good show and attend as many concerts as I possibly can. Always open to trying new things. Guess I will have to check one of these out.

I've noticed something interesting as well- There is something about the live experience that makes you see a group or a type of music in a new light. I have several bands who I never really got into, then saw them live for the first time and stopped by a record store on the way home and bought multiple albums of theirs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I do have a few excision albums.
And they re quite good.

Also have all of the bassnectar albums
As well as Datsik.
If I could make it I would.
This would be an awesome show to attend.

I have been to quite a few electronic shows that were just awesome.
Even a few where the speakers caught on fire from being pushed so hard.
But this looks to be a good show.
Wish I could make it.

Have fun everyone.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have a few excision albums.
And they re quite good.

Also have all of the bassnectar albums
As well as Datsik.
If I could make it I would.
This would be an awesome show to attend.

I have been to quite a few electronic shows that were just awesome.
Even a few where the speakers caught on fire from being pushed so hard.
But this looks to be a good show.
Wish I could make it.

Have fun everyone.
Actually, the SPL folks will get a kick out of this, because PK Sound is getting these huge decibel levels through modern amplifier design.

They use these insanely efficient (and insanely expensive) amplifiers. These aren't the exact same model. But the ones in the rack above are rated for NINE THOUSAND WATTS EACH.

So a huge part of the reason that they're able to achieve these absurd SPL levels is through the same class D technology that's been revolutionizing the SPL contests for a couple decades now.

·
11,394 Posts
I've stood next to the door of Tommy McKinnie's Ho Problems truck with it running full tilt demo...that was pretty fun. About 30k watts from what I remember.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I wonder if the neighbors complain much.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't particularly understand the draw to "bands" like Excision, nor am I sure I could tolerate 90 minutes of the live version of that link I just posted, surrounded by a bunch of people who "get it"... but the bass thing is cool.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Looks like they have a concert coming up in San Marcos Tx. I think I'll check it out and see what the big deal is. If it sux you owe me a refund Bateman. :p

·
Human (not a robot)
2,376 Posts
They are coming to Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh. LT is tiny. The main room dimensions are 38' wide X 100' deep and 25' high clear span ceilings. There is no way 150K watts of bass would ever make it into that building. They even have an asterisk next to the date saying * DENOTES EXECUTIONER PRODUCTION CANNOT BE USED DUE TO VENUE CONSTRAINTS
So IDK what to do. It seems insane but if I can't get the whole "experience" it may not be worth it.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I jokingly made a comment on a friends Facebook page a few days ago about this... 100k watts of bass? This makes no sense... Can anyone tell me how to directly convert 100kw to bass? (Yes I know I can assume it will be stupid loud)

·
Registered
2,832 Posts

This was the pic posted... My point was simply this- it makes no sense... How about 80 degrees of sunshine? You get the idea that it's warm outside but it's not relative.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts