DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought amp used, worked fine for months. I set the gain to Jl specs with meter and did notice amp is putting out dc voltage. As much as 8 volts. Suddenly, it starts to cut out and completely shut off without any type of overheat or low voltage errors. Power was very sporatic, would halfway hit a note then fade out and completely shut down. I haven't been using the amp because no sound is better than crappy sound, but today I flick the amp switch and it completely comes back to life like it was months ago. I did nothing to truck today but drive to the store. I've checked everything I know of, I'm down to sending amp in for refurb. Ideas?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Bought amp used, worked fine for months. I set the gain to Jl specs with meter and did notice amp is putting out dc voltage. As much as 8 volts. Suddenly, it starts to cut out and completely shut off without any type of overheat or low voltage errors. Power was very sporatic, would halfway hit a note then fade out and completely shut down. I haven't been using the amp because no sound is better than crappy sound, but today I flick the amp switch and it completely comes back to life like it was months ago. I did nothing to truck today but drive to the store. I've checked everything I know of, I'm down to sending amp in for refurb. Ideas?

there is your problem. amplifier is defective. if should be putting out zero volts DC (or darn near it. anything over 50mV is a concern)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked to Jl, its $185 to send in amp for full refurbishment. Guess that's my only option.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Shipping it to JL Audio down in Florida and having them fix the problem seems to be your best bet. Doing so will replenish a new warranty for your piece and re ups the resale value for future reference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts