DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Morel HCW10's (Hybrid)

It looks like they should fit no problem at all. Just need a new mounting adapter from Marv. I don't even need to cut any metal from the door.

2 questions, honest opinons wanted.

Anyone think this is would make a good choice for midbass in a 3 way?

Would you even consider it in a two way using the Seas Lotus Reference Aluminum tweeter playing down to 1200hz. I've heard the Morel driver will play up to 1200 hz fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm jealous that you have that option
I have to cut sheet metal and pray for those results
lol

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gray bishop said:
I'm jealous that you have that option
I have to cut sheet metal and pray for those results
lol

hehe, yeah I got lucky with the size of the opening :D , however I have no room for kicks :(

So if I go three way I need something like the Usher dome midragne or the Legatia (if it will fit) in the stock tweeter openings. Then put the tweeter in the A Pillars.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
That's just awesome :)

Personally, I wouldn't use a 10". It'll be hard enough to mate an 8" to a tweeter, and you wouldn't really lose output with a high throw 8"... like a Dayton ref, or Seas etc.

Might want to mount that driver to an mdf baffle as well as some clay if possible? A 10" is gonna kill your doors :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it's gonna be mounted to a 1' thick MDF baffle. Marv makes them for me.

I bought them for use in a 3 way setup, I was planning on a regular cone midrange in kicks, but I've ruled out that possibilty(no room). So now I'm looking for a very small midrange.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Buddy of mine has morel 10's in his Protege5 doors (same ones I think), in a 3way setup.

Sounds friggin amazing. Quite impressive midbass.

I'd be careful on the small midrange though, he tried using the 2" DLS dome and it didnt really play low enough to pair with the morel 10's. He's using Rev 5.5's in kicks now.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
BTA said:
Buddy of mine has morel 10's in his Protege5 doors (same ones I think), in a 3way setup.

Sounds friggin amazing. Quite impressive midbass.

I'd be careful on the small midrange though, he tried using the 2" DLS dome and it didnt really play low enough to pair with the morel 10's. He's using Rev 5.5's in kicks now.
You're talking about Jeff's yellow Protege 5?

If so i had a brief listen to his car when he had the 2" DLS dome mids... and i have to agree, the midbass was indeed very nice...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah that'd be good ol Meatball

It's much improved since putting those Rev's in there. Tonality is fantastic. Midrange is much better.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I hope i can listen to his car again soon... oh btw is the car fixed yet after the wreck?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yeah Jeff's car was nice indeed even though he had a bit of a gap between the 10's & mids...

I personally saw no clear advantage of going with the 10" morels vs. some peerless XLS8... that is after I did a back to back listen to his car & my truck using the same tracks...

Consider that the Morel are insanely expensive compared to the peerless XLS8.

BTA... do you already attend our GTG @ hooters? If not let me know & I can add you to the list to come hang out & listen to our rides every month or so...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
racerraul said:
I personally saw no clear advantage of going with the 10" morels vs. some peerless XLS8... that is after I did a back to back listen to his car & my truck using the same tracks...

I have to agree with you brotha... and in fact i actually like the XLS8 more... i think it have snappier impact... if i may say so...

·
Registered
407 Posts
racerraul said:
Yeah Jeff's car was nice indeed even though he had a bit of a gap between the 10's & mids...

BTA... do you already attend our GTG @ hooters? If not let me know & I can add you to the list to come hang out & listen to our rides every month or so...
I havnt gone yet no.

I'll probably come next time a meet goes down though.

Jeff and I have a little more work to do on my mustang though (going fully active).

·
Registered
407 Posts
300Z said:
I hope i can listen to his car again soon... oh btw is the car fixed yet after the wreck?
It's still in the shop. Guess they found some more damage under the tire well enclosure.

Basically he's gonna redo everything again. Assuming he keeps the car. Guess he's gonna wait and make sure it drives perfect when he gets it back.

I keep trying to get him to post here but he's a protege forum and carsound whore *shrug*.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm just about to order a set of Dayton HF 10's for my doors... I'm just hoping they make it up to the 330hz crossover point I'm shooting for to mate with my 2" tangbands...

·
Registered
578 Posts
From what I have read, the HF should have no problem playing that high. This is an idea I have been contemplating... but fear I have not ran into any solutions that will help with the rattles that driver will generated in there, short of building an actual enclosure on the door.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm gunna do either do a sealed or AP enclosure... depends if I think I can get .7 cu. ft. when a tear it all apart and mock it up and such.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
racerraul said:
From what I have read, the HF should have no problem playing that high. This is an idea I have been contemplating... but fear I have not ran into any solutions that will help with the rattles that driver will generated in there, short of building an actual enclosure on the door.
Here's how I did my doors:
Link

Just ignore the so-so job for now - I did it the week before heading out to school and priority #1 was function before form - they'll be redone if I ever have time, or care...

But anyways, I have them playing down to just over 30Hz, and have had up to [email protected] on them, and you can place your hand on the ledge on top of the speaker protrusion and it vibrates VERY little. The lower panel is bolted in several places - then I covered up that one gaping hole after I had it all bolted in. There is only the slightest rattles when playing rap music loud comming from the upper door skin, which will be completely resolved once it's nice out again and I do a better job of deadening + ensolite. I used 60^2 of eDead vse1 or w/e it was (junk), and placed it methodically by rapping on the door.

But, anyways, point being, I think people are over-playing the rattle card, when my lousy half-assed first-time install hardly rattles at all.

Either that, or I'm just grossly underestimating the output of a subwoofer - 7mm vs 12mm (or w/e) of IB excursion doesn't seem that much more to my, albeit, under-educated estimations.

And would a door even be ok for an RS HF sub? I would think you'd have to actually open up the door drain holes or something - I thought the vas on those was insane?

I dunno, educate me, lol. You guys are 10x more knowledgeable and 10x the installers, so maybe I shouldn't second-guess :confused: Maybe if you convince me it's a good idea, I'll rob a bank so I can put some 10's in :D

-aaron

1 - 20 of 24 Posts