DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

641 - 660 of 870 Posts

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #641
Okay here's the overlapping filter, the red shows the high pass and blue shows low pass

And the high pass with a standard LR4 at the same frequency, You can see the overlapping filter dosent add much, its super tiny but makes a big diffrence in SQ

And the low Pass side

chevron near me

It definatly get rid of driver interaction with steeper slopes and has a oactave wide "crossover point" instead of the crossover point beinbg one frequency and everything under that is blending...

I like it because it attinuates the horn just enough so it can play down to the 600hz range and blend with the mid and the mid can play up to 1.6k and blend up there to reinforce imaging. the horn by itself sounds dry up in the 1k-1.6k range, and i like to hear the horns dynamics when it has small detail come out in the 500-600hz but not at full power....

its a excellent performing filter set for horns...I love it probably always use it

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #642
And he cd10nd sounds quite good down low so it works

In fact , the cd10nd is the best sounding driver I’ve played under 1k
The compneo is very good as well , the cd10nd does a tiny bit better tho under 1k
Above 1k the compneo is better up to 7k where compneo has a mode and cd 10nd has so much more output upbhign

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #646 (Edited)
Got the wife’s van ready for the Veritas horns. (And if they suck they getting the mini with compneo or 2408h , maybe the 4552nd)

I’m also doing a evo next week with big horns and mb6’s next week
If the mb6 works out maybe I’ll get a set to go in the wife’s new van.
She dosent want me to cut the panels (yet) I’m tempted to just do it anyway and do an 8” i was going to give her the 6nd430s I have but I want to try the mb6 out.

The evo I’m doing will have
Big horns, mb6, alpine xa70f , twk88dsp, jl1000/1 , jl12w7ae
Jlxd4004 focal 6.5s (rears) alpine inew940hd

Hers will have 2- punch 200dsms 1 punch 500a2
80prs
1 2x4hd
Horns and 6s (6nd430 or mb6s , maybe do the mb8)
4x sundown SA10s

The old van has the 80prs
And scan be tweets with Dayton reference 8s
And a prime rf 4ch (which is going in the trash!)

The new van I also want to get the new alpine drop down for the brats, the new drop downs from alpine are very nice. Finally something that’s not the cheapo movies to go or audiovox garbage. Those drop downs barley last a year and the alpine we have in the old van has been in since 2001 and still works just fine RSE1020dvd (I think)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Okay here's the overlapping filter, the red shows the high pass and blue shows low pass

And the high pass with a standard LR4 at the same frequency, You can see the overlapping filter dosent add much, its super tiny but makes a big diffrence in SQ

And the low Pass side

chevron near me

It definatly get rid of driver interaction with steeper slopes and has a oactave wide "crossover point" instead of the crossover point beinbg one frequency and everything under that is blending...

I like it because it attinuates the horn just enough so it can play down to the 600hz range and blend with the mid and the mid can play up to 1.6k and blend up there to reinforce imaging. the horn by itself sounds dry up in the 1k-1.6k range, and i like to hear the horns dynamics when it has small detail come out in the 500-600hz but not at full power....

its a excellent performing filter set for horns...I love it probably always use it
I get it now! Super interesting, full custom OX, almost an LR12, then 24 then 48.
Don't have much time right now but I'll try asap!

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #649
I’ve hand three people listen to the fit this week (now that the install is clean and everything mounted the right way) so I’m not embarrassed to show it to people ,

These people know nothing about sq or anything, just customers.
All of them wanted this system only one could afford it

But all of them separately said the same thing and used the same phrase
They all said “wow I can’t believe how good everything is blended together “
Or how good it blends......

Blends.....hummmmmmm what a weird word that is and what are they trying to say.

Is it smooth frequency, or is it good polar responce , or both or imaging .?

I’m curious what people are trying to say..... makes me want to study it

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I like to sit people in mine and then turn on one pair of speakers at a time.

Midbass, then midrange then tweets. Then sub. And they get to hear how it grows into a cohesive sound and image.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
So , I ordered the grille material for my custom work.
Got a cherry set of 2118h
Got some really nice mystique vynil
Got the resin and matting
Get the spot to make the floor incision mapped out
Taking two vacation days from work to do it.
Got my routers and bits all organized

When I go into the wood shop I listen to
Djquick tonite on repeat
I’ll probably listen to it about 300x

The 6th,7th,8th woodroom is mine and the fit going under construction once again.

When I went to Honda and had the new dash installed (1600$) that cut was reversible
The floor cut (not so reversible so I better get it right once.

I really want the 8s to be about 6” away from each corner in dead center of each footwell
The drivers side is going to be the deal breaker, but we’ll see. If it isn’t going to work, I’ll have to do a standard kick

But on drivers side ,I can actually have the room to make a 8” pod up slightly under the dash area. That is better than the true kick if I was to pick , but we’ll see .

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #653
ORdered new horns for my car today
Didn’t realize how many holes I have in this set , going to start over with fresh set,
Do the compneo, I might order the mb8 Stevens Audio (I would be estatic if I could get them to fit) but might have to keep the 2118h , which is fine
I love the 2118h in the midrange man that driver sings so well (also wish I could fit the 8g40) the 2118 has a tiny bit smaller basket and depth is tiny bit smaller and I’m going to cram them in as it is .

I might do away with the Dirac and just run the opendrc sharc .....so we will see ....

·
Registered
46 Posts
ORdered new horns for my car today

Didn’t realize how many holes I have in this set , going to start over with fresh set,

Do the compneo, I might order the mb8 Stevens Audio (I would be estatic if I could get them to fit) but might have to keep the 2118h , which is fine

I love the 2118h in the midrange man that driver sings so well (also wish I could fit the 8g40) the 2118 has a tiny bit smaller basket and depth is tiny bit smaller and I’m going to cram them in as it is .

I might do away with the Dirac and just run the opendrc sharc .....so we will see ....
Been drooling over those MB8s for a while. I did just buy that set of PR170M0 and am running the 2118Hs but the MB8 is appealing for a simple 2-way that can also kick below 100hz.

As for the horn bodies, have you had any success patching up old holes?

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
oabeieo said:
I really want the 8s to be about 6” away from each corner in dead center of each footwell
The drivers side is going to be the deal breaker, but we’ll see. If it isn’t going to work, I’ll have to do a standard kick

But on drivers side ,I can actually have the room to make a 8” pod up slightly under the dash area. That is better than the true kick if I was to pick , but we’ll see .

Just a forewarning....this *will* affect the perceived width of the soundstage in the vehicle. The further in those midbasses are from the corners, the less width you will get so just keep that in mind. It makes a difference. Keep them as wide as you are able to.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #656
Just a forewarning....this *will* affect the perceived width of the soundstage in the vehicle. The further in those midbasses are from the corners, the less width you will get so just keep that in mind. It makes a difference. Keep them as wide as you are able to.

Okay. I’m not going to disregard this. In fact I’m
More serious about what your saying.

I really want equalized path lengths , something tells me if I can get the PLD down to 2” I won’t have to do anything except EQ.

I have such a strong desire for natural acoustic staging on both seats. I find signal delay seems to really take away from the kind of ambiance and sound I like.

When I turn off all signal delay and eq my system it sounds so killer with no allpasses or fir or anything but just eq and crossovers however imaging is a wreck.

I can get the horns to image great with no signal delay.

So with that said........how bad is it? I like a very strong center that drives everything else, and width is nice also, have you done what I’m thinking? What were your setup parameters did you use signal delay on top of it ?
I could see the width would be nil with signal delay on top of the speaker location like that:

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #657
Been drooling over those MB8s for a while. I did just buy that set of PR170M0 and am running the 2118Hs but the MB8 is appealing for a simple 2-way that can also kick below 100hz.

As for the horn bodies, have you had any success patching up old holes?

Yes definitely, I’ve used bondo , tape, whatever works and old holes gone

Yeah I’ve had hard luck getting the 2118 to go below 200hz at full power IB, the mb8 would work better but with the pr170mo I would even loook at maybe a even lower fs driver maybe one in the 50s to get down to 80 at full power with no enclosure.

The 2118 is one of the best midrange I’ve ever heard , man that thing just sings upwards 1.6k and has a sibilance that just hits the spot. As far as midbass duty it’s lacking (pretty badly) I have a set in my garage in .3 sealed and they play to 50 and sound really good, so if you can get .3 or so sealed it might work , but there’s better midbass Out there for 70-500hz

The mbx b&c looks really good , the mb8 is good as well , I would shoot for mid Q fs around 50 with sensitivity around 90db 1/w1m and something with not such a flimsy cone like the 2118

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #658
These are BADASS!

my co-worker is 90% sure he’s going to buy them

Wow what a awesome set of components
Tweeter has a rear chamber
Crossover has hi volt poly caps and hi end resistance and nice coils
And that mid! Wow look at that sexy neo , that should fit in any door no problem

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #660
I love the way Richard and Dave speak in the A2TB Book
They talk like me, and explain stuff like me

Started thinking , that’s where I learned the bulk of what I first learned and I under It the way they explained it back than. Pretty smart guys , too bad they had a bad horn design

641 - 660 of 870 Posts