DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

841 - 860 of 865 Posts

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #841
TRying to get the foam to look right.

Not sure if I’ll keep some of it

Got to build the grill first using the same metal I used on kicks should look thugg

The vynil looks killer, it’s softside Verona

Lasting I used keyson bros mystique

I liked the mystique better but the Verona i wanted tonswitch it up and looks excellent

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #842
HOOKed it up yo!

The 3.5 does exactly what I wanted it to!
Wow! Testing things acoustically first and planning and driver selection actually does work. Lol (I’m kidding)

The 3.5 is playing from 70-300 and that thing frikkin bumps. 4.5mm 3n a half excursions wow. I have only 120w on them and they’re taking it. I don’t listen that loud but I like it loud , just not blasting loud.

This 3.5 works so good and gets the top of the dash to have bass. It’s crazy how good it works. I actually feel lucky , things usually don’t work this good for me. Usually it’s mediocre and I have to use dsp to make it tolerable to excellent because the cars interior and listening space. This 3.5 works so nice and I haven’t even done any tuning.

Just a raw delay and a textbook linear crossover. No eq is done yet and this upper dash is good enough for me without the kicks on yet.

I tried playing it over the Stevens and as I suspected, the Stevens should just be left alone. It dosent want a 3” not need one.

I’m all about having a single pair of speakers do everything from 300 to 3k and do all the delicate midrange. No other speakers to change things.

So far I’m loving it

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #846
Are you leaving the tweet on the dash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes c there’s a factory spot, my wife is doing alterations and sewing in the dash mat and there getting cut in tonight

We should do a meet up in April and so a sq meet up

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yes c there’s a factory spot, my wife is doing alterations and sewing in the dash mat and there getting cut in tonight

We should do a meet up in April and so a sq meet up
Ah I got you. Are you going to point them up at the windshield?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
They don’t point up up it so more at you and up at same time
Ahhhh ok I got you. I'm stoked to see your done pictures and get your thoughts on this iteration. Your horn setup I heard when you helped me tune my car sounded amazing

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
Ahhhh ok I got you. I'm stoked to see your done pictures and get your thoughts on this iteration. Your horn setup I heard when you helped me tune my car sounded amazing

Best sounding car I’ve ever had. No doubt.
I’ll need a lot of talking into feeling nerdy to compete, but it would do good I’m certain.
I’ve heard a lot of good cars. I can finally say this is on par without stretching the truth or kidding myself. So yeah I likeee

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #854
I figured out a super cool way to completely solve the 80hz dip.

First off the dip isn’t as bad as you think once the room gain from sub is eq down.
However it’s still there, just 6db deep instead of 18db deep.

By adding a small woofer in the center of the car the dip is gone. However finding a place to put it sucks and the sound is localized if made too loud. Careful dsp and delays should be used and it can mostly vanish.

Bass has lots of impact and frequency responce is great. So basically under the armrest/console. I decided not to do it. If I had a full-size truck or car that has a big center console I would be in order.

The Bose system in 2003-2017 Chevy/GM full-size truck/suv has a 5” DVC sub in the center console, that factory sub sounds so good and are almost indestructible. That would be the next best thing as it’s in the middle but it’s up front.

I think I’m going to explore using a pair of Dayton ND-91-4 3.5” woofers with 4.5mm one way xmax and 11mm Xsan and do a small sub under each seat firing up against the center console placed as far forward as possible to reinforce that dip would make a great way to fill that dip fully and completely.

That will be the next feat after this is done.
Getting a extremely short bandwidth linear phase 48db filter would not be too difficult to pull off. A single 2x4hd would do the job,
With rephase and center the impulse at about 16ms. Would take some clever reading of measurements and being a good listener to get the blend to work good, as it’s not a summing driver but a reinforcement driver it will want to be localized easily.

It’s worth the venture if big wide cars

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
Upper boxes and kicks pretty much done

Threw the G40s in and low and behold they bump. In a way I am kinda liking quite a bit.

There pro audio so prone to cone resonances from small enclosures. But by goodness it’s working.

I’m not sure what I’ll like more now, the focal, the g40 or the , g40s play to at least 50 full power full magnitude by guessing by ear. They don’t bump they thump and I’m liking it a lot :)

We’ll see

My plan works tho! Hot dam it frikkin works. And no bad ringing at all. Making the walls of the kicks very very thick was the key.

postimage org safe

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I don't know if I missed the post but can you lay out what drivers and where they are going I'm so confused. Kicks looks damn good

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
I don't know if I missed the post but can you lay out what drivers and where they are going I'm so confused. Kicks looks damn good

Sundown SA-18 10-65hz
8g40-4 kicks (or another driver possibly the SI TM65 or focal fx20pse)) 65-300
Stevens SA6 300-3k
Stevens SA-TW 3k-20k
Dayton Nd-91-4 ( experimental, crosstalk cancelation or midbass reinforcement. Have to find a best fit)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sundown SA-18 10-65hz
8g40-4 kicks (or another driver possibly the SI TM65 or focal fx20pse)) 65-300
Stevens SA6 300-3k
Stevens SA-TW 3k-20k
Dayton Nd-91-4 ( experimental, crosstalk cancelation or midbass reinforcement. Have to find a best fit)
Where are the gb40?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #860
Where are the gb40?

No gb40. 8G40 it’s a beyma 8” pro audio midbass that’s exceptional like the 2118H

I was thinking I would need an 8 with better self damping because the small kick 1st chamber standingbwaves etc
The 8G40 is doing quite well.

I already have 2 sets on the way. So I’ll have to try them all :)

841 - 860 of 865 Posts