DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
881 - 900 of 968 Posts

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #886 ·
why the tease man?? lol
Because I’ve talked a lot of trash in the past about this brand because the hype isn’t all ppl make it.... it’s just speakers , however after about 15 sets of these Ms now in different cars , damm there just special ..... better then the old utopias

Although the TBE tweet I still like a bit more then the TBM..... the surround on a tweeter I’m not so sure about, it’s mounted like a subwoofer....... it’s still very nice , just seems to lost some of the bell like highs

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #887 ·
Added utopia 3.5WM..... what a nice mid to pair up to the stevens SA6cs

First off this midrange has dispersion that is to die for.... they sound good on and off axis. And wow what a controlled driver

They have absolutely crazy amounts of detail.... it’s incredible how much detail you can hear with these....

I have them running at 1.4khz LR8 to 3.6Khz LR8 and it’s bad ass

I was going to do the be utopia tweets but I am not sure now, the 35wm sings with the stevens tweeter like in an amazing way... tons of sibilance and harmony between the two drivers , I’m happy

I’ve knocked focal for years and years as over priced because nothing they make is “that good” for what they ask..... this WM actually is..... after installing so many sets for other ppl I’m sorta excited to see what I can do with it with adequate time in my own car as I know my own system way way better then anyone else’s install I do as I drive it every day and know how the acoustics behave in my car and have heard literally hundreds of speakers in this same car....

I’m a fan now , not quite fan boy.. they got this one right... but you’ll pay for it. Over priced , absolutely! But dam what a good behaving midrange.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #888 ·
And nope, won’t cross it lower ..... maybe I’ll take it to 1k . Although beefy for a 3.5” , the stevens take power just fine down low and have plenty of detail..... the stevens sound every bit as good no doubt

For me I wanted a 3.5” that can play more on axis and do the high midrange a little better then a 6.5can , it’s simply laws of physics has has nothing to do with the quality of the Stevens driver..... it has everything to do with cone size and angular geometry

I would smoke this thing in a week if I crossed it lower lol

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
And nope, won’t cross it lower ..... maybe I’ll take it to 1k . Although beefy for a 3.5” , the stevens take power just fine down low and have plenty of detail..... the stevens sound every bit as good no doubt

For me I wanted a 3.5” that can play more on axis and do the high midrange a little better then a 6.5can , it’s simply laws of physics has has nothing to do with the quality of the Stevens driver..... it has everything to do with cone size and angular geometry

I would smoke this thing in a week if I crossed it lower lol
Glad to see you back around man! You should get some pics of your current install!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #893 · (Edited)
How well do they hang sensitivity-wise with the Stevens SA6? Can they keep up?
perfectly! There are truly a match made in heaven, all of the utopias I’ve installed have had a very distinct sound that’s really really good between 1.6 K and 5K,

The utopia Twitter is very good because I love bell like highs with the beryllium, but I threw this mid range in and to my surprise most of that sound that I really thought was the Beryllium Tweeter was actually the mid range.... it sounds just like a Utopia a 3 way, but it’s Stevens.

I really love this mid range it’s the only mid range I’ve ever heard that has really good dynamics and sounds like stevens horn as far as dynamics in the 1-2k range

what’s weird is it a little bit
Honky like a horn, it’s got a dry sound that is very smooth and articulate around 1.2khz. Really has striking realism.

it matches sensitivity wise perfectly though.... I haven’t had to adjust to the levels on either set before tuning. Coming in at 88db and the sa6 at 91db , it’s kind of perfect as far as your tilt goes and having some efficiency to burn in the midbass to correct for extreme comb filters by eq cuts..

Are usually don’t pay much attention to sensitivity numbers though because all of that changes once you start using equalizers and mounting them anywhere except for in maybe I’ll football field

As far as dispersion goes it’s a very good match.

The mid range to midbass for me is a no-brainer because I’m crossed so high (1.4K),
But that mid and the Steven‘s Tweeter absolutely love each other.

·
Registered
146 Posts
it matches sensitivity wise perfectly though.... I haven’t had to adjust to the levels on either set before tuning. Coming in at 88db and the sa6 at 91db , it’s kind of perfect as far as your tilt goes and having some efficiency to burn in the midbass to correct for extreme comb filters by eq cuts..

Are usually don’t pay much attention to sensitivity numbers though because all of that changes once you start using equalizers and mounting them anywhere except for in maybe I’ll football field
I've always had a hard time wrapping my head around lower sensitivity mids being sandwiched in between high-ish sensitivity midbass (SA-6 w/ 90db @1w) and obviously the ridiculous sensitivity of HLCDs (108 @ 1w for instance). Somehow in there we throw something like the 3.5wm from focal that has 88 @ 2.83v which according to my calculations is ~83db @ 1w/1m. According to its spec sheet we only can throw "max power" of 100w at it which gives us 103db. Not much for dynamic range for our mids.

Granted ... 1khz - 4khz is arguably our most attenuated frequencies, so thus our midrange can be the least sensitive driver in our system. Midbass typically doesn't get the same boost that our subwoofers get from cabin gain, so they really are the ones doing the heavy lifting in terms of sensitivity since they are playing into the 80hz-200hz region which according to most (not all) house curves is where we need to see that rising response and those extra db. We have talked previously and I know that you aren't necessarily a subscriber to the typical house curves that many are using (1/2 whitledge, Audiofrog, etc).

But all this always makes me wonder about sandwiching an average sensitivity mid in between a high sensitivity midbass and an HLCD. I know Mic recommended doing the same thing, so its obviously working for serious competitors. My newb brain just can't grasp it. What am I missing?

Also obviously any good midrange is going to do just fine. Dyn's, Focals, etc. Nobody is complaining about them. It's just them sandwiched in between extreme sensitivity HLCDs and high sensitivity midbass.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #900 ·
Jesus that's a ton. What speaker is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the new epique M-mag 7”

14.5mm linear one way excursion
Full copper sleeve
Triple stack magnets (ferrite neo hybrid)
Dual voice coil like an XBL but a bit different only that it’s overhung instead of underhung. But it’s basically an XBL idea

this fvucking thing gets with it oh my goodness.... it does way more then I expected and I had high expectations...

more almost 5” deep I have a thread with pics on the technical forums ....

881 - 900 of 968 Posts