DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am trying to figure out how to build a transmission line box tuned to 30 hertz, so far i have found out that the port length needs to be roughly 37ft(37.6666667). What i need to know is how i can fit this port length into a box consuming 2.5 to 3 cubic ft? I have all the supplies i just need design help, in terms of actual dimensions. Length x width x height specs would be great, but any help is appreciated.

Thank You
Nathan

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Where did you get 37ft from?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
37 ft is the wavelength for 30 hz, but a typical t-line would use quarter-wave, so you are really looking at 9.4 ft for the line length. Assuming the Sd of the sub is around 545 cm^2, then the volume of the line itself is much greater than 3 cu^ft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1130ft speed of sound through air divided by how i want my box tuned(30hz). I forgot the 1/4 part of wavelength for t-lines. I have done some research and i forget the equation but the port size should be equal to the volume displaced by the cone of the woofer, is this correct? If so, how do i calculate it? Another question is, after i find the correct port size, how do i keep my port's dimensions consistent with the t-line design throughout the box?

_____________ . __
| . _________________| .|
|_________________ . | .|
| . _________________| .|
|____________________.|

Ignore the periods above, but the box will be something like that with the subwoofer close to the port.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I measured the dimensions of my trunk, the maximum size box i will be building will be 36" x 18" x 15". I can increase height by as much as an inch but i would prefer to keep it 15. Anyone know what size my port for an idmax 12" d2V3 should be? I have not received my speaker yet so i do not know what volume it displaces...

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Those measurements are about 4cu ft enclosure so you have plenty of room. But it will be less once you put the woofer and the port.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can find the speaker specs but im not sure what specs are needed to figure out the volume displaced and then further find the dimensions of the port... help please...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts